Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

MY thoughts on quality and MANAGEMENT.

From what I have read here and in other forums workmanship seems to be a major problem with many RVs. Not only Columbus but almost all brands. I put that on management. You can not inspect quality into a RV. You can not expect a dealer to finish work that should have done correctly at the factory in the first place. 0 defects should be the MAIN OBJECTIVE by management before a unit leaves the factory. Out of all the issues I had with our new Sabre none were with components all were workmanship. Stripped screws, missing parts, parts installed incorrectly, backwards ect. I can go on and on. A Dometic stove doesn't know if it's going into a $10,000 RV or a $100,000 RV. American car companies were building junk back to in the 60s. Because of competition from the Japanese automakers they were forced to change their procedures and their QUALITY of workmanship. Until management insists on quality workmanship it will never happen. The people on the line will do whats expected of them and not much more. MANAGEMENT has to stress good workmanship ( Good enough.....is NEVER good enough) or it ain't gonna happen. My opinion.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Done with this

Numbers rule the business world now. Quality has taken a back seat to the numbers. Numbers SUCK!!!!!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Until manufacturers loose business to a quality competitor ( either domestic or foreign) I do not expect much change. The auto industry only changed because they were forced to in order to stay in business. Those that didn't change are gone. It has to be less expensive to do it right the first time than to pay to have it repaired under warranty later.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Sadly, output takes precedence over quality construction. IMHO that's true in almost every manufactured product today.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

I would tour the Sabre factory and see for myselfe how they work. I worked in Q.C. at Ford and saw the change take place first hand.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Then I read this in RVBussiness news
Page 73.

Think they could invest a little in qc
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

I bought a Sabre TBOK new in '13. I like to call it the "Monday Morning Build". Terrible "craftsmanship. But hey, that's what happens when you pay laborers $16-$17 an hour. There is obviously no ISO standards in these builds. I had a nylon slide bearing tear away the 1st year and permanently ruin the bunkhouse floor. This year the same issue in the main room. It has been at the dealer since October because the entire main slide needs to come out. So again, laborers who are unqualified and don't give a crap except collecting a paycheck.

No American pride. We will all be in chinese RV's soon enough
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
DnJ

Our first RV was a pickup camper in 1968. We have had 10 RVs since then, and over the years I have realized that these things are just expensive toys. Remember when as a kid you got your favorite toy on Christmas morning, and by New Year's Day it was broken. It's the same principle. Of the 10 RVs we've had, an Aljo 5th wheel was the highest quality construction and most trouble free. We went from the Aljo to a Jayco class C. It was a toy. An example of the workmanship was a panel under the refrigerator that was hidden from view. In order for a water line to pass through the panel, some genius had just bashed a hole through the panel with a large hammer. That really said it all for Jayco's quality of construction. We now have 2011 FR Surveyor, and it has been nearly as trouble free as the Aljo. A similar panel on the Surveyor has neat hole cut with a hole saw, and the water line and electrical line secured so they don't rub on the edge of the panel. Anyway, more consumer reports and comments may help to improve overall quality in RV industry.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Pretty much says it all. Why would you change anything?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

And lets not forget the poor owner of FR. Warren who?

Forest River, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway Company | 2014 | All Rights Reserved

2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
Closed Thread

Tags
quality