Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

myrtle beach state park

Has anyone stayed at the state park in Myrtle beach?
if so, what did you think of it? what facilites do they have? how close to all the touristy stuff? any other info you have would be great?
i was thinking of a trip there this summer.

Erik

eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #2

I don't have any information to tell you but I am also planning a trip to Myrtle Beach. We were thinking of taking the kids to Pirate Land. Does anyone have any comments about Pirate Land? As well, we are also planning to visit Gatlinburg. We like parks with some seclusion and trees as well as ideas for kids. Any suggestions? We were looking into the Twin Creek RV park?
S and K
Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I've never stayed at either but heard from a co-worker that they enjoyed Pirate Land. We usually stay at Myrtle Beach Travel Park when we go. Real nice place with sites right at the beach.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

My wife and I stayed there 15 years ago and I dont usually stay at state parks but this was an exception. Most sites were shaded, grassy sites and had water and electric. Park was clean and restrooms were also. When we go down there now, we stay at relatives places instead. Sorry I dont have a more recent experince but it was a pretty nice place as I can remember
Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 BUG View Post
I don't have any information to tell you but I am also planning a trip to Myrtle Beach. We were thinking of taking the kids to Pirate Land. Does anyone have any comments about Pirate Land? As well, we are also planning to visit Gatlinburg. We like parks with some seclusion and trees as well as ideas for kids. Any suggestions? We were looking into the Twin Creek RV park?
S and K
V8 BUG, we go to Pirate Land every two years, the place is loaded with kids and yours would have a great time there. If you haven't already check out there web site. As far as shade it is limited. Each site has a covered pavilion with a picnic table. We have reservations for next year and we go for two weeks
at end of June and the first week of July. I posted pic of our trip there last Summer, they are under" MYRTLE BEACH #1 and #2" on threads I started.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #6

We stayed a year ago.We had full hook up,small store, close to beach, in trees but not bad to get around,clean.Liked park will stay again.
bdb2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #7

Myrtle Beach State Park

Hi Fellow Campers, We are also going to MBSP in mid July. Never been there either but would appreciate any one sharing recent experience camping there as well. Have a new Wildwood 29BHBS and anxious to get it out. Have three trips planned this summer. Hocking Hills - Happy Hills Family cg in SE OH for Memorial wknd, then Bedford Creek Marina and cg in up state NY on Lake Ontario 1000 islands, and last MBSP. Any experiences at these cg would be helpful.
kcalvin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #8

We have visited friends that were staying at Pirate Land in Myrtle Beach. I little to close for our tastes but it is right on the beach. We have actually never camped at the beach. We are going to Viriginia Beach this summer to the Travel park for the first time.

We went to Gatlinburg on vacation last year not camping though. I loved Gatlinburg but don't know if I would go camping there. All the campgrounds are very close to each other so there really isn't one that closer than the others but none of them are close to downtown. To visit downtown you will have to drive and parking can be a huge pain. Also, there is the small issue with black bears. We stayed in a resort in town and the black bears would wonder in during the middle of the night so I can imagine what they would do at a campground that is a little farther outside of town. There seemed to be a lot of people at the campgrounds though.
aharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #9

v8 bug: I sent you a message about gatlinburg. Did you get it?
I live in knoxville so i can give you some good ideas as where you would want to stay.
As the above post mentioned the campgrounds that are right in gatlinburg and pigeon forge can be crowded and close together. Email me and i can give you some better ideas of where you will want to be. As far as bears go, yes there are some in the area and the population is getting better each year. But since your from canada i'm betting you much much more bear smart then the yahoo that comes up from somewhere that's never seen one before and thinks that it's a zoo animal.. Each year, some idiot tourist decides that they want to chase gentle ben up into the woods to get a better picture and then they stumble on momma with cubs and of course mama attacks, then the ranger has to shoot the bear because she was doing what she's supposed to do. Protect her cubs. most people are just plain stupid and dont realize that your in the bears house, not the other way around.
Anyway, email me and i can help you out with some local info.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Cardinal 04 31LE

I am visiting Myrtle Beach in July. We are staying at Ocean Lakes which came recommended by the people we purchased our rig from. We have friends that love MB Travel Park. I too wondered what the state park is like and plan to ride through the park while there. If we have time and have not MELTED!
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #11

Stayed there in October '08. Campground is well setup with each area being a ring (kinda like tiered seating in an auditrium, sites are plenty big, wooded, water/electric, restrooms spacious and clean, easy walk over to beach and fishing pier, appeared to be walkable from park along beach to main part of Myrtle Beach. Would definitely recommend and would stay there again.

BUT you are going in peak tourist season. We don't travel/camp in summer. We've found that everything changes in peak times. Crowds, reservations, litter, restrooms are hard to keep clean. So you need to talk to someone who's been there in the summer.
ljcpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #12

We stayed at Pirate Land last summer and loved it. A lot to do and the walks on the beach at night are awesome. You'll have a great time!
jessebunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #13

Look into Huntington Beach State Park. It is just a little south of the main hustle and bustle of Myrtle Beach in a town called Murrells Inlet. The area is much more peaceful, yet close enough to Myrtle Beach that you can drive up for the day. The beach is much less crowded as well. They have a few full hookup sites, but are booked way out. Otherwise, 30amp and water is the standard. The main loop is more open with fewer trees, while the back loop is more private. You will get more shade in the back loop, but more bugs is a possibility. But, being from SC, I can tell you that the bugs can be bad no matter where you are. Check out campgroundreviews.com for detailed reviews of the parks and I think you will be wanting to try Huntington Beach State Park. Have fun.
Robert6401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
ARLO

pirateland

We stayed there years ago and it was very nice.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #15

here is a good link on campgrounds and this is specific to MB campgrounds

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...tle_Beach.html

We have camped at Ocean lakes for many years and now store a TT annually at Lakewood. I have heard good feedback on MBSP also. Most all have similar amenities, some are better maintained, some done rent golf carts. Take a look at the site above , it has really good info, with camper feedback.

we just got back from camping four days at riverside campground in Sevierville, TN. it was a real good experience, although it rained much of the time. There is much to do; we went to several shows, the miracle and blackwood brothers breakfast concert, tanger mall, and the tool outlet, knife works, etc were great places to see. we camped beside a river and fished some, people were nice, traffic wasnt bad this time of year, had a safe trip and tried out new marathon tires on our HTT without any problem on first trip.

Enjoy