Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #1

N.C. Zoo campgrounds

Does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds near the N.C. Zoo in Asheboro? Many years ago we stayed at one, and it was awful, but can't remember which one it was.

I have read about three of them on RV Park Reviews, and all get pretty low ratings. Has anyone here recently been to one they like? We are Zoo Society members, can get in the zoo for free, live 40 miles away and would like to spend more time over there.

Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #2

Zooland is probably your best bet. Been there once, it was ok nothing special. Sites seem tight to me. We had a specific site reserved but they moved us b/c a larger RV came in. I really didnt like thst- havent been back.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

we've been to Zooland Family Campground twice and like it,......have recommended it to friends and they liked it as well,.......they honor PassPort America's 50% discount which is always good
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
we've been to Zooland Family Campground twice and like it,......have recommended it to friends and they liked it as well,.......they honor PassPort America's 50% discount which is always good
Thanks. In looking at the Zooland site today, I notice that they don't mention Passport America, but nearby Deep River Campground DOES offer the discount. Maybe Zooland has changed since you were there.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Thanks. In looking at the Zooland site today, I notice that they don't mention Passport America, but nearby Deep River Campground DOES offer the discount. Maybe Zooland has changed since you were there.
I just checked and Zooland is still a PassPort America campground(link below),....we use PPA a lot and have found that some campgrounds who do honor it don't advertise it, especially on their website, they may have a sign at the office, but we stay up to date by the PPA site and always ask at the campgrounds,......maybe they would prefer you use Good Sam 10% discount instead or nothing at all and pay full price.......anyway, Zooland is still PPA, ......do understand that each campground sets their own rules of how they participate, ...how many nights it will be honored, some don't honor it during the summer months, but each one set its own rules...........

Zooland Family Campground - Passport America Camping & RV Club
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We always use zooland when going to the zoo and will be there next month. The sites are very tight for big rigs but can be done. I have a 40' fiver with 4 slides and have been able to do it but not easily. There is a pool and a jumping pillow as well as a playground for the kids. As said above it is nothing special but works well for Zoo trips. They are a coast to coast membr as well. We stay there for about $15/night on coast to coast.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

You guys are correct about PA. I just missed it when I looked. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #9

What about Holly Bluff? We stayed there ten years ago but I've never heard any big negatives recently.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg