Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #21

Looking forward to the new year. Watch it from home now on TV. But have been to a couple of Richmond races and Daytona once. Both were an experience I'll never forget. had my ear plugs on (from the old Army aviation days) and my Winston am/fm earphones and it was still loud.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #22

WOW, it sure is good to know we have this many race fans. I went to my first race with my dad in 1953. I have been hooked every since.
I raised my kids pulling a 30 foot TT. We went to about 15 races a year. That was during the 70s and 80s. I started my driving, in the early 70s in Germany. In 1993 in owned and drove a ARCA car, until 1997. A wreck at Tall. in late 1997 ended that. But it was fun.
Being the fan I was, in 1998, I opened a NASCAR collectible business. We pulled a 30 foot collectible vendor trailer to all the CUP races. As well as having a retail store. I promised my wife when she retired from teaching school, I would sell the business. So in 2009. we sold it all. I watch some races on TV. But do not attend to many in person.
I guess, I enjoy the comforts of home to much. Home being the house or the MH.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #23

i went to 8 nascar races at Sonoma and had a good time
jutojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #24

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I worked 2-seasons with Richard Petty and a Few other teams, putting in the first carbon monoxide filters and breathing cooling systems. Got to meet alot of (or all) the drivers. Man 1988 and 1989 seem along time ago now !! But they cant take them memories!! Just follow races on TV now !! Not the same as the growing years of the sport.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

As for loud, I remember my first visit to Darlington, back before they turned it around, and the covered grandstand. A lady sat down beside us and asked, "you ever been to one of these"? I replied, "been to several, just not here". She commented, "I've been to a drag race at Rockingham, is it as loud as a drag race"? I replied, "yes ma'am, a 5 hour long one". They left about halfway through, holding their ears, and it was loud under that covered grandstand, even with a headset and radio.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #26

I remember being at Darlington, when Bill Elliott won the first Wiston Million. We pulled our 30 TT under the end of the track, off turn 4. Back then you just pulled in .No hookups, but no charges. Before they flip flopped the track they would block off the road on the front side and have a trailer, set up as a stage with live music. Yes it was very loud, that old tin roof made a lot of noise.
I agree with BigRed, it is not the same. Was better back when.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #27

Yea,It's to bad NASCAR and NHRA have to bow to the sponsor money and the insurance industry.I still enjoy it today but miss the days when you could stand right on the starting at an NHRA race.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #28

Went to a Kentucky race last year and camped. This year we are going to the Cup race there and camp a few days. Can't wait. Found a great campground about 6 minutes from the track. One of the best campgrounds we have ever stayed at.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #29

Been to Darlington 4 times and Daytona 2 times. Made the 600 at Charlote 0nce and the last race was Nov race in Texas in 09. Always took our RV and never had a bad campground. Darlington is the best.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote