Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

NASCAR and RV Camping

Has anyone driven their RV and camped at a NASCAR race? Which ones are RV friendly? I was looking at going to Pocono.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #2

That depends on what your definition of "friendly" is. But, RVs seem to be the preferred lodging at most races. Ever seen an aerial view of Bristol!? You will no doubt see more RVs at a NASCAR race than any other sporting event...that's just my opinion. I've RV'd at old Rockingham, Bristol, and Martinsville. There are RV accomodations in the general area of most tracks from a spot to park with no amenities to other areas with full hookups. Heck, at Richmond and Bristol, local residents turn their yards into campgrounds the week of the race. Mind you, camping at a race will not be very inexpensive.

Most track websites provide you with some local RV campsites. You can also search the web for campgrounds near the tracks. And then there are the campgrounds that pop up just for the race. I would say try and find someone who has RV'd at the track you want to go to and get local advise from them. Or visit the tracks during the year to research areas you can camp when the race is in town. I would also say that if you get into town on Thursday or early Friday morning before a race, you will be able to find plenty of camping spaces...maybe not what you would consider choice, but you will find a place to setup. After your first trip to a track you can figure out good campsites around the track for your next race. Send me a PM, I'll be glad to share some info on Martinsville if you are interested.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

We did the Sylvania 300 event in NH last year and had a blast.

Just be prepared for thousands of generator's running until 11pm every night.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

We camp at NHMS in July (Very Hot) and Sept for each race.

Large rocky/dirt parking areas -not level bring boards
Parked into lots as you arrive based on your lot id sticker.
In most cases you will be very close to your neighbors.
No electric, water, sewer. (Water and Sewer trucks drive around $$)
Shower/Bath house near the track with shuttles
Porta-potti in most of the areas
Most will be running generators as stated 7:00am-11:00pm
Very loud at times depending on your neighbors

I am not aware of any track that does not have camping areas
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

Each year we go Dover Del. "Monster Mile". We don't camp at the racetrack. Too much stuff going on for us so we stay at Killens Pond State Park in Felton Del. Its only 15 minutes to the Racetrack. About $26 a nite w/e Most of the folks there go to the races so you have tons to talk about without being packed in... We too are from up state NY... enjoy
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Me and my brothers went to Dover for about 5 years in a row, the spring race. That is one of the tracks we were thinking of camping at also.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

I haven't done Pocono in years, we actually live not too far from there but, it's been probably 15-20 years since I've camped there. We used to camp every year at the now for sale Nazareth Speedway in PA which had a nice facility.

The last camping we have done at a nascar race was Richmond. Nice, setup but, again most places I have been too are all about the same which is parking in a field. It's about what you would expect.

Out of the few tracks we have been to just speaking from our experience only, Richmond was the nicest in terms of RV parking but, I'm sure others that have been to other tracks can chime in.

It is usually one heck of a party that's for sure!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
William

Talladega Infield every year! Dry camping but trucks are there available to service fresh water and sewer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #9

My wife and I are huge Nascar Fans and camp all the time at the race tracks.. You really just have to research each track, We usually go to a race without the TT and just Look around and talk with others.. You kinda learn where is good and where is not.. There are also some good websites out there that can give some good infor. on the tracks. One that comes to mind is Laid Back Racing.. Talladega is a Great Track lots of fun..
kodiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
Talladega Infield every year! Dry camping but trucks are there available to service fresh water and sewer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Talladega is for sure on my bucket list..
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
NELA

We attended Bristol last year. While we didn't RV at the track (we were in an RV park outside Pigeon Forge and drove down) we walked by HUNDREDS of them getting to the actual track.

Behind the church there were dozens and dozens boondocking. Just walking by you could get light headed from all the generators running.

If we go back, now that we have the 5er, we'd do exactly what we did last year; stay at "Up The Creek RV Park" outside Pigeon Forge and drive down and back. It's about 1.5 hours' drive one way.

We were VERY impressed with traffic control after the race. Four lane 2 way highways entering were turned in to four lane ONE way highways exiting. Once we'd arrived back at our truck we were on the interstate inside 30 minutes. (We parked in front of that church...quite a walk to and back from the track.)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomarie View Post
Talladega is for sure on my bucket list..

X eleventy

When we decided to take the plunge back in to RVing, we did it with our bucket list in mind. DH has a list of golf courses he wants to play, and we both have a list of races to attend.

We did Texas Motor Speedway a few years ago, before RVing. blech....BORING! But that was when the drivers were protesting the no bump drafting rule and just rode around two by two.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

hi ,we go to dover and stay in lot 2,its not bad at all they will let you know if you are too noisy after 11pm,been going for the past 4 yrs for the spring race ,have fun
chris d 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #14

Richmond International Raceway (RIR) is VERY RV friendly!!!
MikeAndKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #15

We have done Dover the past few years. We stay a little bit away from the track as we have two little ones and don't want all the commotion that may be had trackside. So far we like yogi bear in Lincoln. It is about 20 minutes south of the track, very clean and we practically had the place to our selves the last time we were there. If you book on march 5th this year they have special rates for September weekends. We are going back this year and already looking forward to it.
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #16

You are right about it not being cheap- Las Vegas infield is $1800/weekend trackside and MH hill is $4k (hookups included!) 😉

When we did MH hill for the Indy car in 2012 (RIP Dan Wheldon) I paid 450! (But I also work for the corporation!)

If you are infield and run a genny, BRING your exhaust snorkel!! We borrowed a friends RV after out rental broke down and did not make any friends running the genny!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #17

We have done Talledega 19 times, but never camped at the track. We always stay at a CG about 10 miles away at Lakeside Landing. You can take the backroads to the track without traffic.

We camped at Bristol one year. It was a lot of fun and convenient.

Camped at Charlotte for the 600. It was the most out of control camping we had ever done. The guy next to us was pimping out some girl who wore a S&M leather outfit all the time. The cops raided our part of the campground.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #18

One thing that nobody has touched on but is very important...plan on spending the night after the race! You don't want to be trying to drive in after race traffic and it is much more entertaining and relaxing to enjoy a campfire and cold beverage while watching the line of cars not moving.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #19

NASCAR and RV Camping

Kansa speedway regular here. We stay at the track and it's always a great time!

If your a fan of racing, you will love the experience. If your not a fan of late nights and drunken fools you might have a different take on it.

It can be cheap depending on where and what track you go to. Kansas has a number of campgrounds on property, we pay 500 for two race weekends a year and that includes 2 nationwide and cup tickets and camping Thursday until Monday at noon May and October

There are a few posts on my Blog on I'm my signature that highlight some of our trips.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #20

We do Michigan. There are lots of campgrounds to choose from and yes, remember to plan on camping after the race.
Pinky59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping