Old 04-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
NC to Michigan route

In a few weeks I am heading to the Grand Rapids, MI, area from the Winston-Salem, NC, area and looking for routing suggestions. Years ago when I went we drove over to Knoxville on I-40 and then took I-75 almost all the way to Michigan, which was a pretty easy drive. A few years later we came back through Columbus, Ohio, and traffic was terrible even though we timed it to miss morning rush hour.

I know part of I-75 was closed recently and wonder if it is okay now. Also, is there a better route for getting up there? I prefer mostly interstate on this type of trip. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Just came back from pigeon forge area. I75 is still one lane going north where the rock slide was. Took me about 45 minutes to get thru there but that was on a Saturday during spring break so I'm sure it would be faster now. We took 74 from Cincinnati over to Indianapolis and up 31 into south bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh

Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
I have gone this way many times from Virginia to the Lansing area. Find your way to I-77 WVA Turnpike. In Charleston WVA take I-64 West and watch for US-35. Follow 35 to Chillicothe, OH, go US-23 until I-270, go west of Columbus until US-33 west to Marysville, OH. Go Ohio 31 to Kenton and then US 68 to US-15 just outside Findlay. Go North on I-75 to I-475 North, this will become US-23 and you stay on this Until I-96 west into Grand Rapids. All roads are good. Some 2 lane.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote