Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #41

Thetford -Smart Tote 2

I have a Thetford Smart Tote 2 - 35 gallon, 2 rear wheels. I have not had any problems with it and was able to purchase at a reasonable price. I carry it bungie corded above the battery behind the propane tanks on the trailer toungue, or in the bed of my truck. I also have a macerator pump if I can't manage to efficiently dump into the tank. When full, the tank is very heavy, so I bring a trailer dolly to help move it to the dump station. Makes it very easy to handle ... even for an old codger like me! Good Camping .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 AM   #42

My wife and I do allot of camping that's fairly close to sanitary dumps, within 50 kms (31.06 Miles) or so.
It's mainly me but to keep both of us happy this is what I have set up:
- Camco 21gal Rhino Tote, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Barker Manufacturing Company Tote-Along Bobber Gauge Full Tank Indicator https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(most totes do not have a level indicator...shame and yuck!)
- Amarine-made 12V 45 LPM 12GPM Quick Release RV Mount Macerator Waste Water Pump,Boat RV Marine, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Impressed with this unit for the price. Looks big but works well with a clear adapter on our 2018 Chaparral 370FL without support.
- Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not necessary unless you stand the tote up before hooking hose to the dump station. It's is a must for me. Murphy's Law. Like to keep me and the ground clean.
- Camco 39085 Rhino Blaster Sewer Tank Rinser with Gate Valve.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Like to see when the RV tank is empty and if needed I can flush the lines.
Have a 20 gallon tank and a 12V Pony pump with back flow protection (check valve) set up in the truck for flushing/filling when off grid.

Purchased 50' of 1" clear discharge hose for the macerator in store at Princess Auto.ca.

Our Black tank is 45 gallons and the truck is usually at least 38' from the RV dump valves.
We haul the tote on the RV ladder when empty and place it in the back of the truck to fill. With the tote in the truck and using a macerator for filling we do not have to worry about the totes wheels and shortens the time going to dump.
We fill from the RV black tank with the macerator to the tote in the truck box until about 3/4 full (this is why we purchased the level indicator/bobber. It's literally crappy without an indication). Close black tank valve. Open grey water to flush lines until tote is full. Close all valves and shut off macerator. Flushing with grey water last cleans the macerator lines and leaves me with no surprises. Macerator is fine running dry for a short period.
Dumping of full tote at sewer station is very similar to dumping your RV. Just need to stand the tote up, open valve (poor you if you didn't install the valve) until empty then flush.
The macerator has not only been good to us when we are off grid but has worked well when we use the RV on our acreage. We don't overload our house septic system with this set up.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis53 View Post
Use the bath house bathroom except for the night time use. I have a blue one with hard wheels. They are a pain period
Why use the bath house bathroom when we have a perfectly good bathroom in our RV?
Funny, I thought the same, "use the outdoor toilet" until I got a little older.
Through the years the RV bathroom has transformed.
Just need to be set up better to accommodate.
Use and enjoy!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #44

Barker 42

I bought a Barker 42gal, with pneumatic tires, I have 2 gray water tanks, bathroom & kitchen. So, the 42 gal was my best option. I like the gate valve on the tote, empty it just like emptying the TT.
tohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #45

I have the Barker 42 gal. It has pneumatic tires. I can dump my 30gal black or 35gal grays (I have 2) in one pass. It’s a little big I know. But I specifically wanted to dump one tank entirely in one pass. I also wanted pneumatic ties. Hard plastic wheels just won’t hold up in campground pavement and gravel roads. My tank glides over speed bumps w/o issues. You can’t go fast or course. But 5-10mph it stays right behind my truck.

Like I said the only issue I have with mine is that it is large. But I chose the size so I can’t blame the tank. I got it that size for a reason. It fits nicely in the bed of my F250.
diver165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #46
ENE

My friend that has a trailer with bathroom , shower and toilet. They always use the RV parks shower and toilet unless it's in the middle of the night. But that's how they roll.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #47

Tote tank

Have the 21 Rhino....built like a tank but light
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #48

Waste tank

Go on amazon and order a 50 or 55 gallon tank, way better than the blue ones. Get an electric pump and garden hose adapter, then pump your grey water into it. Go to dump then drain it, I put mine in rear of truck. They sell low profile ones also if you have a fifth wheel. Comes with drain plug but you can adapt to make drain larger if need be. Way easier no lifting.
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #49
ENE

You can buy a small water pump that fits on to a drill for like $8 from Harbor Freight. It attaches to a water hose and your drill to pump.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #50

I have a Thetford that I think holds about 18 gallons. I have never had any problems with it other than I agree the plastic wheels are very loud. You have to choose your times so as not to create too much attention. I tow it with a spare 2 inch ball that I carry with me.
lindenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #51

I removed the plastic wheels . Installed metal wheels with solid rubber wheels.hardware store.
fred+sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #52

Barker

Definitely another vote for Barker. Pneumatic tires definitely a plus. I got the 42 gallon over 32 gallon one. Because the length is the same just the height is I believe 2 1/2 inches more. So it's not a space issue . Once you know how much black and gray water you go through in at two or three day span then you know how often you just need to dump.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #53

I have a large 30 gallon and a smaller 10 gallon Barker. I like the smaller one better. Don't know what trailer you have but our small hybrid is low to the ground and the waste drain is not very high. The larger tote is about the same height as our drain so it's harder to use. The smaller tank has a lower profile. Just a couple of inches can make this job a lot easier. Just suggesting you might want to measure drain height and compare it to the tank you're considering.
camp2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENE View Post
You can buy a small water pump that fits on to a drill for like $8 from Harbor Freight. It attaches to a water hose and your drill to pump.
Have you tried this drill pump on the black tank? Curious on how well it worked.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I have a Thetford Smart Tote 2 - 35 gallon, 2 rear wheels. I have not had any problems with it and was able to purchase at a reasonable price. I carry it bungie corded above the battery behind the propane tanks on the trailer toungue, or in the bed of my truck. I also have a macerator pump if I can't manage to efficiently dump into the tank. When full, the tank is very heavy, so I bring a trailer dolly to help move it to the dump station. Makes it very easy to handle ... even for an old codger like me! Good Camping .... Swampy
The trade that in for a 4 wheeled pneumatic tire version. Your back will love you for it. I use the 42 gal version. Seasonal site. Wife and I don't use the camp restrooms. Dump once a week.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenpa View Post
I have a Thetford that I think holds about 18 gallons. I have never had any problems with it other than I agree the plastic wheels are very loud. You have to choose your times so as not to create too much attention. I tow it with a spare 2 inch ball that I carry with me.
I assume your spare 2” ball is on a spare shank? You certainly don’t want to be swapping it with a 2-5/16” every time you want to pull your tote! I’m sure that is what you do!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #57

I’m looking at a bladder tank, it’s made by Husky Portable Containment.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #58

I have and use the 15 gal Barker, used it for 9 years with no problems. For filling I have a bobber that fits in the top and marked a line on it for the "stop here point". I do a clean and jerk to lift it into the back of my pick up and drive it up to the dump station. I have two 30 gal gray and one 30 gal black, generally syphon off from the gray tanks once per day, I have the routine down to a science takes about 15 minutes. I do this after breakfast when DW is doing her thing inside.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #59
Always Learning

I still love my 100+ gallon sewer bladder. I emptied a full 40g black tank, full 40g gray tank, partially full 2nd black tank, partially full 2nd gray tank all at one go today. Took it up and dumped. All told, was about 30 minutes start to finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D153DC9E-CEAE-43DA-8A88-69021386D8ED.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	190856

I then went and emptied the black and gray tanks for a friend’s rig while they went out exploring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28FFA855-5309-4024-95A2-3965F9615F18.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	190857

And then my wife finished up a couple of loads of laundry and I emptied a shower’s worth of gray and a couple loads of laundry from a black tank (stupid design.. it’ll be warranty fixed in Dec!).

Had I known I was doing the second dump run for my own rig, I wouldn’t have taken my friend’s load to the dump station.

Edit: rant. Seriously, FRF. Please fix the image handling! A billion sites can handle phone photos properly.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I still love my 100+ gallon sewer bladder. I emptied a full 40g black tank, full 40g gray tank, partially full 2nd black tank, partially full 2nd gray tank all at one go today. Took it up and dumped. All told, was about 30 minutes start to finish.

Attachment 190856

I then went and emptied the black and gray tanks for a friend’s rig while they went out exploring.

Attachment 190857

And then my wife finished up a couple of loads of laundry and I emptied a shower’s worth of gray and a couple loads of laundry from a black tank (stupid design.. it’ll be warranty fixed in Dec!).

Had I known I was doing the second dump run for my own rig, I wouldn’t have taken my friend’s load to the dump station.

Edit: rant. Seriously, FRF. Please fix the image handling! A billion sites can handle phone photos properly.

I’ll have to call Husky products, I have left emails and nothing. I’ll give them a call tomorrow. I brought a FlowJet
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote