Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

Don't forget the paddles

You may very well spend almost as much on the paddles as the kayak. Go for quality. Cheap ones are heavier, and can break. Weight is very important. What seems like a negligible difference in the store adds up quickly when you are paddling.

Also check for possible chaffing. I have one with cross-hatching in the grip area that irritates the web between thumb and forefinger. So, you might want to get fingerless gloves.

My favorite paddle is a light-weight wood. Smooth. Breaks down into two sections and nice looking. Cost me $200 a dozen years ago.

I wish I had a Wilderness. That was my first and favorite, but it was stolen.

So, also invest in an easy to use lock if leaving outside. Get a hand pump, a paddle float and a paddle leash. And take a class on how to get back into the boat should you capsize....excuse me, for when you capsize.

I have tried several PFDs. Get one cut for kayaking. Not just any old vest because they can be very uncomfortable. The most comfortable, and possibly more expensive, are the automatic inflatable life vests.

Like all boating, it's a seemingly endless money pit. A water proof bag to hold your hat, cell phone, camera, sunscreen, binoculars.

Have a great time!

2015 31 nights
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

We have three (2 singles and a tandem). The singles are flat bottoms and very stable for beginners. The tandem is a Wilderness series v-bottom that cuts the water nicely but makes you use those abdominal muscles! My wife prefers the more stable singles. All depends on how much you want to spend vs. how often you will use them.

flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

We have 2 Old Town Vapor 10's we are very fond of. These are sit-in, but with a large cockpit. Wider than some other kayaks, but very stable with a 350 lb. capacity.
At 10 feet I carry them in the pick-up bed angled down at the front and other end resting on the raised tailgate. This readily clears the camper.
We had an Old Town canoe for years and I contacted Old Town once by e-mail for help with a deep scratch (canoe flew off top of my shed during a winter storm). Within 2 days I had a 2 page reply (not a form letter) outlining steps for repair.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

Sea Eagle Inflatable

Love mine. Very comfortable & great warranty. Easy to pack and inflate. Works for me and my RV. I borrowed one from a fellow camper before buying to see if it was a good fit for me and my partner and my 70 lb. dog.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #15

We really enjoyed the renting the Ocean Kayak brand. No real experience to compare other brands, just really like them. Very stable and comfortable. Now if I could just figure out how to haul them I would buy instead of rent.

Forester 2451s
Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

GO LIGHT OR GO HOME! LOL
9.5 Swifty's 28 lbs soaking wet!

No need to look like Muffy & Buffy Kyaking! ;oP
Old 06-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Yeah, everything PNWTraveler said. I love my wooden paddle, it's light and it's beautiful.
We went to a kayaking "show". For $7 you could try all the kayaks there. I must have tried a dozen until I got into a Delta 15ft, I fell in love, it fits me great. We talked to the dealer and ended up buying 2 used ones for the price of one new one, one had been a rental and one was the show model.

It does cost to get started but once you're set up, it's done.
Also, it depends on where you are going to be. In a lake or regular river, you don't really need a skirt and probably an inflatable kayak would work, way less expensive and easy to transport.

We are in the Pacific NW where you can die if you fall in, due to cold water, so you really have to learn how to get back in it and all the safety things.
I got the life vest that inflates with CO2 cannister. I learned from renting I detested all the other life jackets.

The Muffy and Buffy kayaking clothes I have are boat gloves, socks and shoes, I wear rain pants I already have and regular clothes depending on the weather. I never got the special ($$$$) jackets and pants and all but we just go out for the day, no overnights, never to Alaska, no racing or any of that.

There are many Youtubes that show how to paddle and other skills. I absolutely LOVE kayaking. Take your time and see what you really need after the initial must have safety stuff.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #18

We are going to rent them first to even see which ones we like, if I get really into it later on I can sell beginner ones and invest in better ones

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
Sunseeker 2400MBW

That's what I did, I rented for several years.

Also, purists will tell you that you don't need a rudder but I like them, when it gets windy or big boats push you around, makes life easier.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
That's what I did, I rented for several years.

Also, purists will tell you that you don't need a rudder but I like them, when it gets windy or big boats push you around, makes life easier.

That is one thing I had not really thought about but something to consider, thanks

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS