Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #41

Easy and Simple

I just ordered and received the I Ball backup camera from Amazon. The camera is battery operated and the small monitor plugs into 12volt with a flexible lead for viewing. Not complex and no wires to run. Also put it on back tt bumper and no problem with view. I like this unit. Read the reviews and check it out.
Jim Hiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #42

[QUOTE=CincyGus;2044828]Appreciate everyone's responses. one other thing I'll throw out is to make sure you decide if you want just a "backup camera" or an "Observation camera" and know the difference . The backup is meant to be tied to use of reverse and only for backing up. The observation camera is a constant on if the trailer lights are on and meant to be used for backing up AND to act as a rear view mirror of sorts as you are driving down the highway.

It's my thought that some of the complaints out there about camera's are because some bought a camera never intended to be used as an observation camera and are having wireless signal issues.

Lastly, if you are going to post a solution you have found, it would be helpful to others as they research which camera to buy if you posted your camper length and how the signal is for us. What might work without issue on a 27' camper may not work on a 40' camper worth a darn. Hopefully we can build a nice thread here with good info for people researching the right camera for them.

Thanks!

In wired the camera to the TT running lights, and simple turn on my truck running lights we using the camera to backup and for going down the road. Always nice to see what is behind you when running the roads.
pjames19641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #43

If using a Bluetooth unit, wire the camera to your TT running lights. Just turn on your TV running lights and you will view the rear of your TT running the roads and backing up. I have appreciated being able to see those log trucks coming up on me going 80+ MPH and wanting to not slow down and pass us.
pjames19641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #44

Took the plunge last nite and bought the Haloview MC7108 7'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Rear View Camera System 7'' LCD Reversing Monitor $240.00 and $20.00 off coupon on Amazon Have the www.tadibrothers.com Best camera system they sell cost $1200.00 And is the worst piece of sh** you can buy !!!!!!!!They said it would never drop out driving, go 1000 feet used on semi trailer and all !!!! Boy did i get taken in by Them !!! Do not buy from them all they sell is JUNK !!! Once they get your money it over no Help !!! It was like I should of had A little fire at a camp site with the $1200 at least I would of got some heat from the money !!!! It's live and learn !! and I got burned by them !! Read all the reviews and u-tubes on the Haloview camera looks like a get set up!!! We will see !! Thanks you all for the vent on Tad Brothers that took my money and sold me JUNK !!!
rip1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #45

I got the best backup system, DW calling me on my iPhone. But of course it’s expensive as all get out
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

And she probably gets annoyed being strapped to the ladder on the back of your rig all the time....
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #47

Where did you buy the fancy multi-plug device lying there on the dash next to your monitor?
Also: couldn't you buy a second camera, mount it on your vehicle pointing forward and effectively have a "dash cam"? since it records (all?) cameras it has connected? I think this one will support 4?

Gastan, I see you have a 2014? mine is a 2104S so how/where did you find power for your camera? What wire/wires did you find to use?
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #48

[QUOTE=Bama Rambler;2044602] Here's the unit I would recommend.

Digital Wireless Backup Camera System

I just ordered the backup camera you recommended. It has some very good reviews. Thanks.
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegold View Post
Gastan, I see you have a 2014? mine is a 2104S so how/where did you find power for your camera? What wire/wires did you find to use?
Sorry about the delay. I've been out of town. I just wired the camera into the wiring for the running lights at the top, rear of the trailer.

I pulled the center light and got to the wiring. Then drilled a hole where I wanted the camera mount and fished the camera wiring thru that hole, out the running light hole and spliced them together. Mounted the camera and replaced the running light. Voila. When the trailer is hooked up the camera is powered up as soon as I hit the lights. I always use my headlights, even when I'm not pulling the trailer, so turning them on is second nature for me. What I have to remember is hooking up the monitor.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #50

Click For Full-Size Image.

[/IMG][/URL]
Click For Full-Size Image.

Easy Peasy on the install.

Took the entire bracket off the Furrion mount, leaving only the rubber backing. I ordered the Furrion Adapter https://www.haloview.com/haloview-ba...wired-rvs.html which came with an extension cord for the power that plugs into the Furrion Plug and adapts to the Haloview for power along with the bracket that matches up with the holes already in the camper for the Furrion Bracket.

Hooked the power cable from the camper to the truck, Plugged in the camera, placed it on the roof of the camper, went and plugged in the monitor and turned it on and had a great pic. Total install was about 45 minutes and half of that was reading instructions, removing the Furrion mount and putting stuff away.

Can't wait to see it on a trip. I adjusted mine so the red lines on the parking grid (when I turn those on) match up exactly with were the end of my ramp door is for the toy hauler. Should make it easy to make sure I have no obstructions in getting the ramp door down. Will also give me a nice view of the entire blind spot behind the camper.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks Gus! It's not as pretty as a mount as the Furrion that nests into their shark fin, but at that price, oh well! I'm getting it once I hear back from you on reliability. And let us know length of your trailer when you report back on connection reliability please. If it works for you, it will work on my 20 footer.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip1202 View Post
Took the plunge last nite and bought the Haloview MC7108 7'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Rear View Camera System 7'' LCD Reversing Monitor $240.00 and $20.00 off coupon on Amazon Have the www.tadibrothers.com Best camera system they sell cost $1200.00 And is the worst piece of sh** you can buy !!!!!!!!They said it would never drop out driving, go 1000 feet used on semi trailer and all !!!! Boy did i get taken in by Them !!! Do not buy from them all they sell is JUNK !!! Once they get your money it over no Help !!! It was like I should of had A little fire at a camp site with the $1200 at least I would of got some heat from the money !!!! It's live and learn !! and I got burned by them !! Read all the reviews and u-tubes on the Haloview camera looks like a get set up!!! We will see !! Thanks you all for the vent on Tad Brothers that took my money and sold me JUNK !!!

I have had good customer service from them. Yes they sell JUNK 🤨
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #53
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ordered my Haloview today on Amazon. They currently have a 15 dollar off coupon, more than enough to pay for the 10 dollar Furrion adaptor. Looking forward to install on Monday.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #54

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
I have to say, this was exactly my experience with Furrion. my camera crapped out just a month or two out of warranty - i was offered a 10 or 15 % discount to buy a new system but passed. sorry if they wouldn't stand by their equipment just outside the warranty period, then I'm not going to continue to buy their stuff. it sure seemed like an easy fix too, but i dont know what was wrong. the unit just lost connection on the trip home last october in Chicago and I could never get it to re-pair. i even called twice as i was passing furrion on the I-90 (both east when the issue was starting and west when the camera crapped out) to see if they would help get it operational again and they said they could not assist at their head office.

id love to recommend a new camera for you, but i have no hands on experience with any - yet. i ordered a tadi brothers system, that comes with an adapter mount to allow for the camera placement into the stock OEM furion mount already on my unit. it also is an observation system - so always on - highly recommended. I should have feedback shortly - potentially easter weekend, but definitely May 5 when we get the unit out for the first trip this year. i can say for the same money, according to the tadi specs, i feel i got a better resolution camera and a wider monitor for the same price as the furrion system. only time will tell.

i can say, when the furrion worked it was pretty good, although i did have intermittent signal failure on a 41 foot 5er. i bought a longer antenna for the camera that i was going to install based on furions recommendation when i was traveling east, but of course, its of no use now.
So I have a bit of an update on my camera issues. after bringing the tadi brothers system to my dealer to install while it was in storage, they advised me that the pairing button was on the camera cable, not the camera itself. They advised that cable was so long, it would be tucked in the wall behind the mount and stayed it would have to be pulled out every time the camera might be to be re-paired. So that was not an option to me. They asked why I was changing the camera system and I explained my warranty issue and they offered to replace it for free! Wow! Anyhow, I’m back into the newest Furrion system and will give an update next week when we head out on the first trip. The updated version of this system seems to be much higher quality and a nicer monitor. Can’t wait to see the visual improvements.

As for tadi brothers, it was a fight to get them to return the unused camera. It is a long story but after threatening a chargeback with my credit card company they agreed to refund the unit. It was a good preview to their customer service Or lack thereof. So something to consider if you are looking to go with a tadi brothers unit. So while neither company really blew me away with their customer service, the dealer really came through.

As for the original Furrion system failure-since it wasn’t covered under warranty, I took apart the monitor. The antenna wire was broken and a quick test of the circuit board indicates the wifi chip is grounding out the antenna lead. So I think an easy repair by Furrion if they would have covered it under food faith by changing out the board. The antenna lead is soldered onto the wifi chip on the board.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #55
Trailer Park Supervisor

Problem is, nobody wants to repair anything these days. Its costs them pennies on the dollar to build these things, and a replacement is much easier for them. The Furrion 7" is on Amazon for 550 bucks right now. The Haloview with the same features (actually more, since it records)is less than half that. No brainer for me.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Problem is, nobody wants to repair anything these days. Its costs them pennies on the dollar to build these things, and a replacement is much easier for them. The Furrion 7" is on Amazon for 550 bucks right now. The Haloview with the same features (actually more, since it records)is less than half that. No brainer for me.
Yeah agreed. Even if they sent me the board I would have changed. But no luck on that option. Furrion said nope. Haha

Lucky for me the 7” didn’t cost me a dime! I already had the tadi brothers unit when the halo view was recommended or else that would have been a consideration for sure.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote