Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Need help deciding which way to go

I've pretty much decided that I want to replace my Outback with a 5th wheel. Also, pretty much settled on the Columbus 320. Want more space, my own washer/dryer, and something that would hold up to winter weather better. One of the guys in my office expressed interest in buying my Outback, but eventually backed out because his wife doesn't want an RV around. Oh well. So I'm trying to decide which way to go forward. Here are my choices, as I see it:

Whichever way I go, I'm looking at placing an order to get all the features I want. Don't want off the lot, don't want used. So probably 6 to 8 weeks lead time. This would be a cash transaction.

1) Trade the Outback in with a regular dealer. Nobody local sells Columbus. One 50 miles away that I've never dealt with. Probably could trade my Outback, but wouldn't expect a good offer as we are heading into the winter season. Also would expect price of 5th wheel to be higher than one of the wholesalers. I've had good luck with new RV's, but dealing with a new dealer that I don't know is a risk.

2) Place order with a wholesaler. One of their shops is 3 hours from where I'm working. Would have to try to sell my Outback on my own. Need to use it until my 5ver would be ready. So I'd probably have to store the Outback till Spring. Plenty of time to prep it for sale and could hold out for the best price. Although probably drops in value a little each month that passes by. Downside working with a wholesaler is that service is probably nil. With this strategy, I may end up having to pay one of the mobile service guys to fix anything minor that breaks. Upside, lowest price for 5ver, maybe get highest price for my old trailer. Another downside - a 35' trailer sitting in my shop!

3) Take Outback home and prep it for sale and put on Craigslist ASAP. Take one of my other trailers up to the job and stay in it. Wait until depths of winter to order 5ver either from wholesaler or dealer. Possibly best price as units may not be moving. Downside is other trailer is much smaller, so not comfortable, plus wear and tear on trailer intended for family camping. By default, no family trips to the coast over the winter season. Also, potentially lower price for my Outback for trying to sell in fall.

So what would you do?
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Smile

Sell the outback or trade it for a Ceder Creek 5th wheel, ours is the 2011 36B2 w/ washer & Dryer and every thing else needed to live in full time. The garage is huge with another separate garage or big storage space in the nose under the washer and dryer. This you could live in, we do every winter for 5/6 months in AZ. Forest River and Cedar Creek are very nice units.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #3

Sorry, they don't show the B2 as in production. They have a B4, but the pin weight is higher than I'm comfortable with for my truck. Besides, I didn't ask for suggestions on other 5vers to consider.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Wholesalers don't do trad-in's?

Some things I thought about this June when we traded. With the economy like it is, there are not a lot of folks walking around with cash. Personal sale and getting the buyer to get their own financing is possible, but you would still lose some potential buyers. Those that have the cash are looking for a deal. Then there is the tire kickers that want to look at 3 or 4 times and either never make an offer or try and low ball you. Do forget the guy's that will call, acting like they are interested, but all they want is to try and sell it for you, for a price of course.

Some dealers around here will do a consignment sale. 10% is what I was quoted. In Tennessee if you trade a TT in, you only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the new unit. Consignment sale is not a trade, even if you buy the next TT from that dealer. So after adding the 10% and the sales tax loss together I felt I would have to get a lot more on a sale than the TT was worth.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

My 2 cents...

Get your outback in awesome shape in & out, take pics and post an AD or two in the most frequented websites for RV sales and wait for your buyer to come, on average it'll take about 4 months to sell your camper AND you'll get $3K to $5K more than Dealer trade in.

That's what we've always done, it works great IF your not in a rush

Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

That definitely is a risk and something to consider.

Where I live, sales tax is capped at $300. Doesn't matter if it's a $3000 beat up car or a $50 million private jet. No wonder our state is broke!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #7

Getting closer today. Got final price with all options from wholesaler.

One option presented to me today was the idea of putting my old trailer on their website to sell it or to consign it on their lot. Bothe ideas seem more attractive then trying to sell myself.

Tomorrow I may go to Tom Johnson's in Marion and talk about an order and trading. Some of you speak highly of them.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #8

Wincrasher,

I would try and sell myself. That way you get the most out of it. But if money is not issue, less hassle would be trade. Are you buying wholesale or dealer?
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #9

Haven't decided yet
Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #10

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5th toyhauler. I was quoted 37k loaded by wholesaler. Local dealer wanted almost double that. When the time is right for me I'll post mine for sale on craigslist and rv sites. Sold my last one on craigslist during the winter.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #11

Had a good trip up to Marion today. Nice and warm, the sun was up, the top was down!

The folks at Tom Johnson's couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. They scoured the lot to find the one 320rs they had (actually was sold to someone). The place is impressive to say the least. LOTS of rvs of every persuasion. Very nice campground and an enormous service center. The whole place must be on at least 100 acres.

I was equally impressed with the Columbus. I liked the layout and the fit and finish inside and out seemed excellent. The spacious feeling of the bathroom was a surprise. Storage space seems more than I'd ever use. I can see why people like the moveable island - offers alot of flexibility if you have guests/kids. This one had the grey exterior, which I do not care for, so brown/creme it is. Wish you could get the big fridge in this model. Did notice that it comes with 3, 20# gas bottles. There is not room in the slide-out rack for a fourth. May be a concern if I get the generator.

They should get back with me on Monday on price and value for my trade.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
CampingQueen

I've bought both my RVs from Tom Johnson's and been very happy with the sales. Haven't had to have any service as of yet - both units were thorougly PDI's and I had ZERO problems with stuff not working, leaky seals, etc.

I deal with the Concord location, but from what I hear Marion is even better when it comes to the service dept.

We did trade in the first on the 2nd. I think we got a 'fair' price considering it was a trade - could have gotten 2K more if we sold it ourselves, but we needed to move the 1st camper quickly for various reasons and it was very convienient to do the trade.

Enjoy the new camper!!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #13

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. The dealer wants $10k more than the wholesaler if we include my trade. If no trade, then they are around $5k higher, and I'd still have to sell my trailer.

So I got alot to think about. At least I have figures to go with everything now.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #14

I guess you have some thinking to do. How far do you have to travel to the wholesaler? I think I'd try and sell it myself and see what happens. You may get more than you think and then decide on buying local or going to the wholesaler.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

The trip to the wholesaler is about 3 hours from where I'm working during the week (I spend each week at a job site and stay in my travel trailer).

The dealer is about 50 miles from my home in SC.

So, for my situation, using this at my job, then service with the wholesaler may be more convenient that hauling it all the way home. So I'm leaning towards the wholesaler right now.

But, the end of the month is upon us, so maybe I can get a few bucks out of the local dealer. We'll see if he calls me back...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #16

It seems as though you aren't hurting for cash. If that is the case, I'd order the new one from a wholesaler. When the new one arrives, clean the old one up nicely and price it fairly. Then sit on it until someone comes along that wants to buy it. I would recommend pricing it a few hundred higher than my bottom dollar. There are worlds of buyers out there that will NOT pay asking price and feel they are not getting the best deal possible unless you come down at least a little from asking price.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote