Need help deciding which way to go
I've pretty much decided that I want to replace my Outback with a 5th wheel. Also, pretty much settled on the Columbus 320. Want more space, my own washer/dryer, and something that would hold up to winter weather better. One of the guys in my office expressed interest in buying my Outback, but eventually backed out because his wife doesn't want an RV around. Oh well. So I'm trying to decide which way to go forward. Here are my choices, as I see it:
Whichever way I go, I'm looking at placing an order to get all the features I want. Don't want off the lot, don't want used. So probably 6 to 8 weeks lead time. This would be a cash transaction.
1) Trade the Outback in with a regular dealer. Nobody local sells Columbus. One 50 miles away that I've never dealt with. Probably could trade my Outback, but wouldn't expect a good offer as we are heading into the winter season. Also would expect price of 5th wheel to be higher than one of the wholesalers. I've had good luck with new RV's, but dealing with a new dealer that I don't know is a risk.
2) Place order with a wholesaler. One of their shops is 3 hours from where I'm working. Would have to try to sell my Outback on my own. Need to use it until my 5ver would be ready. So I'd probably have to store the Outback till Spring. Plenty of time to prep it for sale and could hold out for the best price. Although probably drops in value a little each month that passes by. Downside working with a wholesaler is that service is probably nil. With this strategy, I may end up having to pay one of the mobile service guys to fix anything minor that breaks. Upside, lowest price for 5ver, maybe get highest price for my old trailer. Another downside - a 35' trailer sitting in my shop!
3) Take Outback home and prep it for sale and put on Craigslist ASAP. Take one of my other trailers up to the job and stay in it. Wait until depths of winter to order 5ver either from wholesaler or dealer. Possibly best price as units may not be moving. Downside is other trailer is much smaller, so not comfortable, plus wear and tear on trailer intended for family camping. By default, no family trips to the coast over the winter season. Also, potentially lower price for my Outback for trying to sell in fall.
So what would you do?