Old 12-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Question Need help on our Yellowstone trip

We are planning a trip from Kentucky to Yellowstone in July of 2016. We will go out on I90 and return on I80. Want to take a week to get there and a week to get home, a week in the park and a week in Bozeman visiting family. I see several campgrounds in the park. Any thoughts on the best ones? I will have my Rookwood 2109s with me. Also if any of you have made this trip, any suggestion on things to see going out and back, along with places to camp. Thanks in advance for your input. I know there is a lot of experience on this forum.

Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park near Rapid City are nice if you have never been there. Also don't forget about the Tetons just south of Yellowstone. I am not 100% sure but I think Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups in Yellowstone.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

Started from Minnesota and visited Yellowstone last summer. We only had 9 days which is not nearly enough time so I am envious of the month you have. That is the way to do it. There is so much to see everywhere! The Badlands/Wall area is worth the stop on the way. We stayed right behind Wall drug in a good overnight type campground. There is Mt. Rushmore as well in the area. We also went through the spectacular scenery of the Bighorn mountains and stayed at Buffalo Bill state park near Cody. We used that as our home base to visit Yellowstone and the Tetons. Avoid Old Faithful during peak hours if possible. Circled for 30 minutes to find a parking spot and we didn't even have the trailer. One thing I noticed while using Google maps to plan distances and drive times was the amount of time listed does not take terrain into consideration. Going through the Bighorns took almost twice as long as anticipated because of the constant up and down and slow actual "towing an RV" speed vs. posted speed limits Google uses. The West is big and it takes a long time to get anywhere so plan accordingly.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

We stayed in grant village in July. Great campground for the amount we were actually there. Very quiet a lot of trees. And they have two great restaurants right there. I would recommend this campground to anyone.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

We stayed two night in Hardin MT, staying at the KOA there. We visit the Custer battlefield while we were there. This is right between I90 and the start of I94 in MT.

When you are in Yellowstone make sure you drive the Bear Tooth MT212 highway out of the north entrance at Cook City MT. A very scenic highway but do not pull the camper very sharp curves. You can get off at WY296, Chief Joseph Scenic Byways which will take you into Cody WY. There you can visit the Buffalo Bill center in Cody WY, traveling on WY14/16 to the east entrance of Yellowstone which is also very scenic route to drive.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is a great park. I have been to Yellowstone three times and I never get tired of seeing Yellowstone. It's a great place, Grand Teton is great too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is a great park. Grand Teton is great too
Just made the same trip this last June from KY to Yellowstone and Grizzly is the park to stay at IF you can get reservations.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park near Rapid City are nice if you have never been there. Also don't forget about the Tetons just south of Yellowstone. I am not 100% sure but I think Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups in Yellowstone.
We loved Custer State Park area. The Black Hills offer a lot to do. We spent 6 nights there at the Game Lodge campground.

My advice for Yellowstone is to stay in the park at two different campgrounds to reduce driving time. We liked Madison campground on the west side. Maybe Canyon campground on the east side would work.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Just make sure that you Reserve your CGs - especially those in Yellowstone and Custer and Mt Rushmore - ASAP!!
July (even away from the 4th July Holiday) is a Very Popular and Busy Time for the Parks in this Region of the Mountain States!!