Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Question Need help on our Yellowstone trip

We are planning a trip from Kentucky to Yellowstone in July of 2016. We will go out on I90 and return on I80. Want to take a week to get there and a week to get home, a week in the park and a week in Bozeman visiting family. I see several campgrounds in the park. Any thoughts on the best ones? I will have my Rookwood 2109s with me. Also if any of you have made this trip, any suggestion on things to see going out and back, along with places to camp. Thanks in advance for your input. I know there is a lot of experience on this forum.
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park near Rapid City are nice if you have never been there. Also don't forget about the Tetons just south of Yellowstone. I am not 100% sure but I think Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups in Yellowstone.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

Started from Minnesota and visited Yellowstone last summer. We only had 9 days which is not nearly enough time so I am envious of the month you have. That is the way to do it. There is so much to see everywhere! The Badlands/Wall area is worth the stop on the way. We stayed right behind Wall drug in a good overnight type campground. There is Mt. Rushmore as well in the area. We also went through the spectacular scenery of the Bighorn mountains and stayed at Buffalo Bill state park near Cody. We used that as our home base to visit Yellowstone and the Tetons. Avoid Old Faithful during peak hours if possible. Circled for 30 minutes to find a parking spot and we didn't even have the trailer. One thing I noticed while using Google maps to plan distances and drive times was the amount of time listed does not take terrain into consideration. Going through the Bighorns took almost twice as long as anticipated because of the constant up and down and slow actual "towing an RV" speed vs. posted speed limits Google uses. The West is big and it takes a long time to get anywhere so plan accordingly.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

We stayed in grant village in July. Great campground for the amount we were actually there. Very quiet a lot of trees. And they have two great restaurants right there. I would recommend this campground to anyone.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

We stayed two night in Hardin MT, staying at the KOA there. We visit the Custer battlefield while we were there. This is right between I90 and the start of I94 in MT.

When you are in Yellowstone make sure you drive the Bear Tooth MT212 highway out of the north entrance at Cook City MT. A very scenic highway but do not pull the camper very sharp curves. You can get off at WY296, Chief Joseph Scenic Byways which will take you into Cody WY. There you can visit the Buffalo Bill center in Cody WY, traveling on WY14/16 to the east entrance of Yellowstone which is also very scenic route to drive.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is a great park. I have been to Yellowstone three times and I never get tired of seeing Yellowstone. It's a great place, Grand Teton is great too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is a great park. Grand Teton is great too
Just made the same trip this last June from KY to Yellowstone and Grizzly is the park to stay at IF you can get reservations.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park near Rapid City are nice if you have never been there. Also don't forget about the Tetons just south of Yellowstone. I am not 100% sure but I think Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups in Yellowstone.
We loved Custer State Park area. The Black Hills offer a lot to do. We spent 6 nights there at the Game Lodge campground.

My advice for Yellowstone is to stay in the park at two different campgrounds to reduce driving time. We liked Madison campground on the west side. Maybe Canyon campground on the east side would work.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Just make sure that you Reserve your CGs - especially those in Yellowstone and Custer and Mt Rushmore - ASAP!!
July (even away from the 4th July Holiday) is a Very Popular and Busy Time for the Parks in this Region of the Mountain States!!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #11

Buffalo Bills park is a mosquito jungle when we were there and no cell /WiFi etc. Fishing Bridge sites are super small but very convenient. Best place we stayed was KOA in west Yellowstone.
Keep in mind the traffic is terrible, but the scenery is wonderful. Tetons are not to be missed.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

When you get back, Please let us know how the trip went! I am retiring in 2016 and that trip is on my "bucket list"! I want to put my feet in the Pacific ocean and see everything between KY and there. Also I have basically the same set up as you. a 2008 Yukon Denali and a Forest River 21FBRS. Let me know how it goes!
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13

I'm understanding that you want to stay in the park, in one of the NPS campgrounds.

Fishing Village is the only campground with hookups. It is also basically a paved parking lot, with no desirable ambience. It's only qualities are that it is located centrally and has hookups, nothing else.

Mammouth is at the north end, but is a nice campground. You can easily fit big rigs into many of the spots. Also good satellite capability in many spots. It is just down the hill from the headquarters and if you go up there you can also get cellphone reception.

Grant Village is at the southern end. More trees than Mammouth, very large, but tighter for big rigs. I did get my 39 footer in there OK.

Most of the others are smaller and more tent oriented. However, if your rig is small, you may fit in.

Always take a look at RV park reviews to get a good idea of any particular campground.

South of Yellowstone, Gros Vente is a great campground for touting the Grand Teton NP.

I'm headed to Yellowstone again next spring and plan to stay at Mammouth.

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #14

I envy your proposed trip... want to do the same in the next couple of years after I upgrade my TV. I live down the road from Cold Spring in Alexandria.

I have not been out west since early 80's but I loved the Badlands area just off the Interstate. I drove down one of those back roads thru that area and was just amazed at the scenery.

Good luck and Happy travels...
Roger

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #15

I stayed at West Yellowstone KOA both times i've been there, pricy but nice. Getting there, DesMoines is mostly owned by John Deere. There are free factory tours that are outstanding. The KOA in Minnesota , Albert Lea, in 2014, was the worst ive ever stayed at. You need to watch the weather, as the tornado's in the mid west will dictate which direction you will go. Be flexible, one of the nice things about camping and having time.
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #16

The Yellowstone Association is really helpful.

Contact the Yellowstone Association, a non-profit org that supports the Park. They offer many services, including guided tours of the park. In 2011, we retained their naturalist for two days: one day for wild life spotting and another day for geophysical sites. The Assoc provided a small bus (not a mini-van...), a guide for our party of 8, 6 adults and 2 children and binoculars and telescopes for up close viewing. Most memorable.

The park is huge, so the guide was invaluable to expediently get from one location to the next, not to mention the depth of knowledge at each destination and observations along the way. Plus, I didn't have to watch the road and we never missed a turn.

The Assoc. may have RV facilities of their own; we became members (nominal fee) to rent one of their cabins (pre-RV days) in Gardner. Google: "Yellowstone Association" to get their website and contact information.
Happy Trails,
Bob
bobkathy78759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #17

We stayed at Grants Village at the south of the park. Good place to exit from heading to the Tetons. Custer State Park and the Badlands in South Dakota is worth the stop. Custer is the best state park I have ever been to. Make sure to coordinate your visit with the Sturgis Week as there will be many motorcycles there then. Make sure you bring warm clothes to Yellowstone. We were wearing our winter coats at night in July! The strategic air museum Nebraska is worth the stop on the way back on I-80
Old 12-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #18
Member/Member

If possible try the Bear Tooth hwy. NW of park.AWESOME trip
Trudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #19

When in Yellowstone, operate on your home time(eastern?). This puts you way ahead of the crowds so parking and travel is easier.
If you can, spend a night or two at old faithful cabins. There are places in the lot to leave the trailer. You will enjoy the geysers at sunrise and sunset with no traffic.
I think it is radio channel 12 that announces upcoming geyser eruptions. Check with a ranger or an info desk on that channel number.
The last 2 times we were at Mammoth, it was not impressive, had dried up, dead. May have changed, check on this.
If you have time on your return, flaming gorge is pretty.
Fishing Bridge is the only camp within the park with hookups. It is cramped and just meant for sleeping. The park service camps are for units under 25 ft. The concessionaire camps are roomier but no hookups. The park is huge, allow for this.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #20

When we visited Yellowstone in 2013, we camped at Henry's Lake State Park in Idaho. It is only about 10 miles west of West Yellowstone. We drove into the park everyday. My husband and I both have a Senior Pass, so we didn't have to pay an entry fee. Henry's Lake has water and electric hookups and a dump station. The only drawback for the park is that the wind blew rather hard every afternoon. The rates are very reasonable.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote