Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Need help on RV Steel carport for FR MBS 2401R

Hi,
What is an adequate size on rv steel carport for FR MBS 2401R? I got a quote on a-frame vertical 14 gauges, leg height 11ft, width 12ft and length of 25ft for $2.100.00. Should I need more room than that cause RV is already 25ft long? Certified building cost more than no-certified. Does it need to be certified? It’s all newbie questions because I knew nothing.
Thanks
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Hi,
What is an adequate size on rv steel carport for FR MBS 2401R? I got a quote on a-frame vertical 14 gauges, leg height 11ft, width 12ft and length of 25ft for $2.100.00. Should I need more room than that cause RV is already 25ft long? Certified building cost more than no-certified. Does it need to be certified? It’s all newbie questions because I knew nothing. I will not know if I don't ask these questions.
Thanks
Your building needs to be larger in All ways! You also need to check your Local Building Codes for the other answer! Youroo!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

I paid $2,900 for a 20x40, 11' legs which gives me about 14 feet in the center. I park the TT towards the left side and have enough room to park the Ram alongside and even extend the awning. I don't have slideouts but if you park your unit toward the center 20 feet will probably allow extending the slideouts and awning.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

The next size up is 12x30x12. emm-dee what ground preparation you did to be ready for your building?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #5

Our ground is 90% potatoe size rocks.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
The next size up is 12x30x12. emm-dee what ground preparation you did to be ready for your building?
Ground was pretty level to start with. It's Georgia Red Clay so that's some pretty hard stuff. Covered it with '5-7 gravel. The carport gets leveled (roof line) when built. I had about a ¾ inch overall drop between the slides. I just mixed up some concrete and poured two 18" x 5' pads for the trailer tires to rest on. Those pads are perfectly level with each other.

Biggest problem was digging a 125' trench from the barn to the carport to run electric (50 amp) and water.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi,
What is an adequate size on rv steel carport for FR MBS 2401R? I got a quote on a-frame vertical 14 gauges, leg height 11ft, width 12ft and length of 25ft for $2.100.00. Should I need more room than that cause RV is already 25ft long? Certified building cost more than no-certified. Does it need to be certified? It’s all newbie questions because I knew nothing.
Thanks
I would be sure your width is ok also. They may put 4' braces on each leg
to roof (both sides) that will cut into your width somewhat. Shouldn't be a problem if you have good hgt.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

You should go to 14' width and about 5' longer than your coach
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #9

Thanks for all suggestions. I am going to check to see if I have enough clearance beside the house for 14x30x12 leg.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Last week we had a 31x18x 14h installed with 3 panels on each side for $2800. Our 2401R fits under it with slides out nicely. The awning will go out if I park all the way to the side.
glb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

You will need to check with your building dept. for their snow load requirements depending on what part of WA you're in.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

Like everybody says- you need to go bigger. Get as long and as wide as you can. I don't mean 30' wide, but you want to have at least a couple of feet wider than your slideouts; 4 ft. would be better. The height should be fine. It's also worth it to pay the extra $25.00 or so for the mobile home tie-downs. We put one on each corner. It's also worth it to go an extra or two sheets going down the side. We live in the middle of nowhere so there was no permits etc. to mess with. And you definitely want to have your pad leveled before they start.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #13

Thank for your answer glb6. I don't have enough land beside my house so I would go with 15x31x12h or 14h and that depend on the covenant rules too. $2800 is decent price. Installation is included? What about ground preparation?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank for your answer glb6. I don't have enough land beside my house so I would go with 15x31x12h or 14h and that depend on the covenant rules too. $2800 is decent price. Installation is included? What about ground preparation?
The ideal ground prep would be concrete but that really drives up the cost and I don't think it's necessary. I used gravel. A good tractor driver can spread a truckload of gravel to where it's level within an inch or so. My installer said he could easily work with six inch difference width wise and up to a foot along the length (that was for 40' length). I spray roundup under the carport to keep grass from growing. The gravel in front of the carport will disappear in about two years when the grass finally takes over.

Pictures below show the progress. The base supports are it critical for level because they level it up with the second stage legs. At the top the structure is perfectly level across and has a four inch drop on the length (rain run off).

After completion I poured the pads for the TT wheels, and those are perfectly level. The last pix shows how I can park the car next to the trailer with the awning extended. Fifteen feet won't allow that but you should be able to get the awning or opposite slides out, just not at the same time.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #15

Something to think about, but depending on how sharp your turn is when you take it out and put it in will decide if you can even do it. A long shelter means you need to pull in and out straight before you begin your turn or the back end or front end will hit the sides.
Just sayin'
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
I will address your question on a base.

We very recently put in a new drive on sandy loam. We had seen previous posts on this forum suggesting "Milage" or "Millage" (not sure of the spelling) for use under an RV port. We suggested using this with the excavator. It was not a hard sell because he used it for his roadways of a campgrounds he owns. He excavated approx 6" down, put down the millage and then rolled it. It came our beautifully. No dust, no ruts, an no need to seal it.

Millage or milage is a recycled blacktop from road reconstruction that has been ground up. It is pea stone with asphalt as opposed to asphalt covering limestone. It has similar texture to limestone gravel, but is obviously black. The cost was slightly more expensive than quarry gravel (because of trucking distance), but much cheaper than asphalt or concrete. Several guys on the crew have used it on their own properties and raved about it. The new drive abuts a concrete drive and there is no black tracking marks onto the concrete. For those of you that mentioned it previously, a sincere thanks.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #17

Raptor.
I had a 12 wide x26 long x12 high inst for my 2016 24s sunseeker. It just fits length wise if I was going to do it again I would go 14x30 at least. Mine was certified because of where it sits we can get some strong wind in the spring and snow load in winter. Middle of WA. STATE.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #18

I am still waiting for covenant board to okay. Also certified 15x30x14 would be the largest that would fit beside my house. We have strong wind blowing through every winter in Puyallup WA. Thanks for all your answers now I know what to do to get this carport build and the price to match.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #19

What company are you guys using?
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #20

I am asking in Home advisor to get people to work with.