Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

need help with maintenance

Sorry to repost but did not get any response after a couple of weeks on the toyhauler forum, please forgive me, I need help and to get these things done.

"Hello friends, hoping everyone had a great and Merry Christmas.
We put in around 30 weekends and probably 20 thousand miles on our toy hauler this year, 2011 Ultra25. We love it.
1. I accidentally hit the gate one day coming in late at night and smashed the driver side fender pretty good so need advice on best place to order that.
2. We realized as it started to get cold recently that we don't have a sensor or detector thing for carbon monoxide or gases, woke up with some bad a headaches a couple times and thinking that we could smell a little propane when the wind blew just right, do I need to seal the under the bed with silicone? Where and what type of detector should I buy and are they battery or need to hook to 12v / 110? Don't want to die in there lol.
There is always a fan blowing down below fridge by the electric box, guessing it's the electric converter thing, trying to charge the battery?
3. I did not check or grease the axles in all year so it's time now,(we bought this trailer in January this yr) what is the preferred and or best grease to use? Is there a how to video link somewhere for torque settings? I like to do my own work so I know it's done right.
4. The alternate heater on the roof air does not heat hardly at all, just a very slightly warm air, is that normal? Does it run off freon like the ac compressor?
5. Absolutely hate the coarse textured floor, there is no way to clean it right, all the fine dirt and dust ect. stays trapped in the fine crevices, so dang hard to clean good. Any ideas on how to remove that stuff or should I just lay some other type of flooring over it? What type of flooring is recommended?

Been trying to ask some of these questions for a while now but between work and running hard all year on weekends it's kinda piled up on me.
New to RVing so that's the reason for so many questions."

Any and all help and advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

SLS
SLSTRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

So for the ac unit. Yes they blow look warm to circulate the hot air through the trailer. My toy hauler has this set up as well. The idea is the heat comes from floor duct and your ac comes from ceiling with the idea of hot air rises and cold air falls. With this concept they circulate luke warm air above to move the hot risen air around to better heat.
For the propane check your connections from the tanks under the bedroom and suggest a battery power CO2 detector in bedroom. cant hurt.
For the cargo floor-- cheap dyson like cordless vac does the job. We use a shark on ours and still looks brand new.
For your hubs standard wheel bearing grease will do. nothing special there.

As for your fender I would check with camping world online they have an amazing section of parts.

Hope this helps...
If you need better answers email me at:
Dlinville39@gmail.com
dlinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Hey, make sure that bumper didn't damage any propane hose, if you smelt it then you have a leak, period. Self battery CO2 detector checks the carbon monoxide of the propane being burn in the furnace and is a non smellling gas usually. A CO2 detector will detect the carbon monoxide and set off the alarm. Don't delay looking into this, safety first and good luck.
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys
Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #5

You want a C0 detector, C02 is carbon dioxide.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #6

For replacement fender skirts you might try here,
Lookup-our-skirts.com | RV Fender Skirts | Fifth wheel & Travel Trailer Fender Flares | Fender Skirt Fit Guides

https://www.rvpartssierra.com/replac.../tandem-skirts

Lookup-our-skirts.com | Fenders for RV's | RV Fender Skirt Lookup | RV Fender Skirt Search | RV part diagrams

Hope this helps
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

your toy hauler does have a detector unless someone removed it. you just need to look for it. It will be near the floor.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

Answer to question #4. If you have a heat pump, it does use the A/C compressor and is only good to about 40 degrees outside temperature. If yours has the heat strip it doesn't put out much heat and warm air is all you will feel.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

It should have a propane/CO detector already installed. Look for a little box mounted to the wall about 1' above the floor. These operate off of the 12v battery. You should push the test button to verify they are working. You can also test it using an unlit propane torch.

You might get a rug to cover the floor when you are not hauling your toys. It dresses up the area, is warmer and more comfortable when walking in your bare feet.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
your toy hauler does have a detector unless someone removed it. you just need to look for it. It will be near the floor.
Yes it was removed, not sure why
Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #11

Thanks everybody, you guys are great.
SLS
Old 01-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

most likely removed because it kept going off
find the problem !!

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #13

It may have been removed because the end of life function was activated (eternal beeping). CO2 alarms have an internal clock set to their lifespan- used to be 7 years but newer ones can be good for 10.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #14

Your CO/propane detectors all have ONLY 5 years lifespan! Someone who did not know that removed it because it would not stop alarming to warn of this condition.
Surely your lives are worth the $75-$100 cost of that piece of equipment. Replace this NOW, other maintainence can follow.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinville View Post
So for the ac unit. Yes they blow look warm to circulate the hot air through the trailer. My toy hauler has this set up as well. The idea is the heat comes from floor duct and your ac comes from ceiling with the idea of hot air rises and cold air falls. With this concept they circulate luke warm air above to move the hot risen air around to better heat.
For the propane check your connections from the tanks under the bedroom and suggest a battery power CO2 detector in bedroom. cant hurt.
For the cargo floor-- cheap dyson like cordless vac does the job. We use a shark on ours and still looks brand new.
For your hubs standard wheel bearing grease will do. nothing special there.

As for your fender I would check with camping world online they have an amazing section of parts.

Hope this helps...
If you need better answers email me at:
Dlinville39@gmail.com

Maybe, maybe not on the roof heat. Mine, in our bedroom, has only heat strips, thus the heat from above, not through the vents. And they don't heat the air up very much. It's kind of like a supplement for the ducted heat in our main AC in the living room.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
You want a C0 detector, C02 is carbon dioxide.

X2

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Your CO/propane detectors all have ONLY 5 years lifespan! Someone who did not know that removed it because it would not stop alarming to warn of this condition.

Surely your lives are worth the $75-$100 cost of that piece of equipment. Replace this NOW, other maintainence can follow.

Travel safe

X2

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance