Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, if people are slamming on their brakes, they must have been dozing, daydreaming, texting, etc. as an rv is not something that is not easy to see from quite a distance away. I will continue to run 55-65 on interstates regardless of the other traffic going 70-90 or whatever. Guess who gets ticketed if I get hit from the rear while traveling 55-65? May tear up the camper, but that's what insurance is for. Hopefully no one in my vehicle gets hurt. JMO
I'm ok with that OC. I just don't want to be the one who interrupts someone's texting.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #22

Look up the specs for you tires online, that is the only limiting factor that would really concern me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
DDC

I set the cruise around 65/68 that keeps the RPM's down around 1400 to 1700 on my sweet little diesel VW. If I don't set the cruise I tend to creep up into the higher seventies, never had that problem with the gas buggies.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Fuel economy goes south in a hurry at speeds above 60 (though I cruise at 65 most of the time). With my diesel, I lose a FULL MPG at 65 (vs 60) and 2 MPG at 70. (NO WIND)

The dynamics of air pressure and drag from relative wind are well known.

Remember you must add the wind in your calculation of relative speed. Driving 60 in a 5 MPH headwind feels like 65 to the camper's frontal area.

Driving 60 in a 10 MPH headwind is like 70.

While you can take advantage of a tail wind, 60 MPH in a 10 MPH tailwind feels like 50 to the camper; I just accept the much better gas mileage on that leg as a bonus.

The upshot is to slow down in a headwind or "reap the whirlwind" in bad fuel efficiency.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #25

As a retired camper, I set the cruise at 55(sometime a bit faster depending on speed limit) and look at the scenery, talk or listen to the 60's channel on satellite radio getting the best mph I can get. Transmission rarely hunts with my 4.10 rear. Flying down the road all day with a death grip on the wheel just isn't relaxing to me. Being retired certainly helps cause I don't have to keep to an exact schedule or be back home on Sunday for the work week. You'll love it when your turn comes.
clm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #26
Hawksclaw554

Just got back from 1400 mile round trip to Disneyworld and Louisiana pulling my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws. My TV is a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 cummins diesel mega cab. Since the tires on the trailer are rated for max speed of 65 mph, I decided to tow at 60 mph in tow/haul mode jake brake on and cruise on. I stayed in the rt lane and my fuel averaged 11-11.4 mpg. When I hit the rolling hills in Florida it dropped back to 10.5 mpg. On the way back I went to 65 mph rpm 1600 same conditions and mileage dropped almost 1 mpg. So went back to 60. Use my cruise control and stay at safe distance to stop. Truck pulled it like it wasn't back there. That cummins is one sweet engine.
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #27

I set my cruise to 68, hate to get rear ended or cause an accident because some fool behind me cuts off another vehicle to pass me. Seen it happen with a mustang that was 2 vehicles in front of me. I was not towing my 5W and the slow mover was an 18 wheeler. Idiot behind the 18 wheeler decided he was getting in the left lane and didn't care that there was no room for him. He ran the Mustang off the road she did a 360 in the median wound up East bound in the West bound land and her and another 18 wheeler hit damn near head on. The idiot that caused the wreck kept going. Even though you are driving at a safe speed you always have to look out for the other drivers. I ride a motorcycle so my head is on constant swivel whether I am on my Harley or in my truck. I am constantly checking my mirrors and looking 2 to 3 vehicles ahead.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
2014 XLR 27HFS

I set my cruise at 65, then bump it down till the RPM's drop for that particular road. It usually ends up around 62 or 63. The 1,200 RPM difference over a whole day of driving is a big savings in gas.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #29

dave961, thanks for the tip. Good idea. Will try that.
steepgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, if people are slamming on their brakes, they must have been dozing, daydreaming, texting, etc. as an rv is not something that is not easy to see from quite a distance away. I will continue to run 55-65 on interstates regardless of the other traffic going 70-90 or whatever. Guess who gets ticketed if I get hit from the rear while traveling 55-65? May tear up the camper, but that's what insurance is for. Hopefully no one in my vehicle gets hurt. JMO
Good points, OC. I suspect that some of the guys who dutifully go to the scales and fret over all the numbers on their allowable towing weights and tongue weights are, ironically, often the ones who consider posted speed limits to be just troublesome suggestions.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good points, OC. I suspect that some of the guys who dutifully go to the scales and fret over all the numbers on their allowable towing weights and tongue weights are, ironically, often the ones who consider posted speed limits to be just troublesome suggestions.
Safety is safety regardless. I doubt someone who was truly concerned about maximum safety would be a lead foot also. Otherwise why go through all of the hassle of weighing? My goal is to be as safe as possible - to give me the best chance of surviving -without injury - an emergency maneuver if ever needed. That's for me and for everyone around me on the road. There's a few things you can't do after an accident and that is go back in time and re-adjust your weights or speed. Both should be top-priority.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Safety is safety regardless. I doubt someone who was truly concerned about maximum safety would be a lead foot also. Otherwise why go through all of the hassle of weighing? My goal is to be as safe as possible - to give me the best chance of surviving -without injury - an emergency maneuver if ever needed. That's for me and for everyone around me on the road. There's a few things you can't do after an accident and that is go back in time and re-adjust your weights or speed. Both should be top-priority.
Exactly right.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Man, you said that way better than I could have. Nicely done.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post

And the same ones that a worry about everyone else on the road being an accident waiting to happen because they are overweight!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #35

Need help with speed

I appreciate everyone's input. I know I'm not overweight, I just want to be as safe as possible. Next week I will be switching my stock passenger tires out for some better LT tires. I will do whatever I can to make the trip safer and less stressful.

Thanks again,

Randy
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #36

May sound elementary, but when I struggle maintaining a speed, I adjust the car seat forwards or backwards a bit. Moving it forward brings about a 'natural' faster speed. When I am pulling, I move the seat back a bit and going 60 seems so natural. Give it a try!
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm3 View Post
As a retired camper, I set the cruise at 55(sometime a bit faster depending on speed limit) and look at the scenery, talk or listen to the 60's channel on satellite radio getting the best mph I can get. Transmission rarely hunts with my 4.10 rear. Flying down the road all day with a death grip on the wheel just isn't relaxing to me. Being retired certainly helps cause I don't have to keep to an exact schedule or be back home on Sunday for the work week. You'll love it when your turn comes.
]

X2
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #38

X2 what OC and others said!

We roll on flat interstates at 60ish on cruise control in the right lane. Agree with others, gas milage goes WAY south above 65.

Like OC said, someone hits us from behind they are automatically at fault in all 50 states (Canada? Chime in please--I am curious)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 what OC and others said!

We roll on flat interstates at 60ish on cruise control in the right lane. Agree with others, gas milage goes WAY south above 65.

Like OC said, someone hits us from behind they are automatically at fault in all 50 states (Canada? Chime in please--I am curious)
Same, vehicle behind at fault.