Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #31
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good points, OC. I suspect that some of the guys who dutifully go to the scales and fret over all the numbers on their allowable towing weights and tongue weights are, ironically, often the ones who consider posted speed limits to be just troublesome suggestions.
Safety is safety regardless. I doubt someone who was truly concerned about maximum safety would be a lead foot also. Otherwise why go through all of the hassle of weighing? My goal is to be as safe as possible - to give me the best chance of surviving -without injury - an emergency maneuver if ever needed. That's for me and for everyone around me on the road. There's a few things you can't do after an accident and that is go back in time and re-adjust your weights or speed. Both should be top-priority.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Safety is safety regardless. I doubt someone who was truly concerned about maximum safety would be a lead foot also. Otherwise why go through all of the hassle of weighing? My goal is to be as safe as possible - to give me the best chance of surviving -without injury - an emergency maneuver if ever needed. That's for me and for everyone around me on the road. There's a few things you can't do after an accident and that is go back in time and re-adjust your weights or speed. Both should be top-priority.
Exactly right.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #33
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Man, you said that way better than I could have. Nicely done.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good points, OC. I suspect that some of the guys who dutifully go to the scales and fret over all the numbers on their allowable towing weights and tongue weights are, ironically, often the ones who consider posted speed limits to be just troublesome suggestions.

And the same ones that a worry about everyone else on the road being an accident waiting to happen because they are overweight!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #35

Need help with speed

I appreciate everyone's input. I know I'm not overweight, I just want to be as safe as possible. Next week I will be switching my stock passenger tires out for some better LT tires. I will do whatever I can to make the trip safer and less stressful.

Thanks again,

Randy
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #36

May sound elementary, but when I struggle maintaining a speed, I adjust the car seat forwards or backwards a bit. Moving it forward brings about a 'natural' faster speed. When I am pulling, I move the seat back a bit and going 60 seems so natural. Give it a try!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm3 View Post
As a retired camper, I set the cruise at 55(sometime a bit faster depending on speed limit) and look at the scenery, talk or listen to the 60's channel on satellite radio getting the best mph I can get. Transmission rarely hunts with my 4.10 rear. Flying down the road all day with a death grip on the wheel just isn't relaxing to me. Being retired certainly helps cause I don't have to keep to an exact schedule or be back home on Sunday for the work week. You'll love it when your turn comes.
]

X2
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #38

X2 what OC and others said!

We roll on flat interstates at 60ish on cruise control in the right lane. Agree with others, gas milage goes WAY south above 65.

Like OC said, someone hits us from behind they are automatically at fault in all 50 states (Canada? Chime in please--I am curious)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 what OC and others said!

We roll on flat interstates at 60ish on cruise control in the right lane. Agree with others, gas milage goes WAY south above 65.

Like OC said, someone hits us from behind they are automatically at fault in all 50 states (Canada? Chime in please--I am curious)
Same, vehicle behind at fault.