Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Smile Need new gps

In the market for a new gps looking for recomendations looking at the garmin 465t reviews are mixed on it.
I pull a 5er at 12' 4" ht do not want to peel the top off it going under a low bridge or end up pulling up to one and then trying to turn around, (like everybody is going to give you the room to do that lol) had a couple of garmins and they where great problem is that you can load poi's in but you have to reseach them for low bridges it doesn't do it for you, or warn you the 465 says it does but does it really?
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #2

We have the TomTom GO 930. We originally bought it as a GPS for my wife's car and have also used it when we travel with rental cars, etc. We like all the features and does a great job with navigation - no wrong directions so far.

We bought the GPS unit over a year before we purchased our RV (our first rig) and I have yet to research if it provides overpass clearance information. Now that we have the RV it goes with us on every trip but I never really thought about the overpass thing. I am going check it out when I get home this evening.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm12348 View Post
In the market for a new gps looking for recomendations looking at the garmin 465t reviews are mixed on it.
I pull a 5er at 12' 4" ht do not want to peel the top off it going under a low bridge or end up pulling up to one and then trying to turn around, (like everybody is going to give you the room to do that lol) had a couple of garmins and they where great problem is that you can load poi's in but you have to reseach them for low bridges it doesn't do it for you, or warn you the 465 says it does but does it really?
I just bought the 465t garmin, haven't used it yet, from what I know, it gives you a route based on the specs of your rv/trailer. so if a bridge is low, to my knowledge, it chooses a different route...I'll be using it next week for 1 week for a 1800 mile trip. I'll post here my take on it.
amarettl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Check this link:

Search | POI Factory

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #5

I have used many 'road' GPS throughout the years. Some took me off a main road for a mile or so, then put me back on that same main road. I think they are great if you DON'T have a map and are unfamiliar with the territory you are driving. Other than that, common sense applies.

In saying that, I wouldn't rely on the GPS to avoid flattening your top, but a combination of the latest Motor Carrier Atlas, with watching the underpasses for signs..

I friend of mine is a Police Officer and he recentlly told me he stopped a woman who made an illegal left turn, even though there were three signs stating NO LEFT TURN.
She said the GPS told her to turn there, and she did. A one hundred and twenty dollar mistake and two 'points' on her license..

Expensive lesson.
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #6

I too am considering a new trucker's GPS, probably the 465t but I don't think that they give the low bridges in Canada. If there is a model that covers all of North America, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
https://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Grape Escape

If you are using a GPS to warn you of low bridges best of luck. Have yet to find a unit that can even get directions right. Nothing beats an old fashioned up to date paper map and a good pair of eyes
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #8

I have a 465t. U have 2 modes: car and truck. If u run truck mode, it will warn of low overpasses. If u r on the natches trace, which allows RCA but not commercial vehicles, it will get u off of it. It will only route u on the trace in automobile mode.
When in truck mode, if u drive some state hwy, it will tell u it has incomplete data but will still warn u.
I stayed at the Natchez trace parkway tv park in southern tn, there was an overpass going under the trace that is 11'. When I got within a mile of it, I would get an alarm and a display showing height and distance .
It works and routes u like it would route an 18 wheeler.
If you remember when speed limits first appeared on gps, they seemed to only b on interstates and some maj hwy. Think of the. Truck database in the same way. It's a work in progress.
U may also want to check out the cobra (7700?).
I like my 465t and would recommend it. Just keep in mind, u still have to be aware of where it's taking u...none of them r perfect
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote