Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Need quick hook up and reliability, upgrade to a 5th wheel?

I do field service work and I'm debating on bringing my travel trailer on the road, instead of staying in weekly rate hotels. The trailer is a 13 rockwood wind jammer, 3001W, I think. Everything works, and I've enjoyed living in it, for extended periods. Being that it's almost paid off, this would go along with my reasoning for wanting to use it, instead of pay for hotels. One issue is, I might get a call and need to immediately be on the road, for long trips. My dad did this type of thing in the 80's and he is all for the 5th wheel, for ease of towing. Is there that big of an advantage to 5th wheel for the purpose I would need it for? Ease of setup, hookup, etc?

Also, for 5th wheel or bumper pull, is there anything other than normal maintenance I need to brush up on for fast, long mileage trips?

Also, truck would be fine for either, a newer SRW F350.

Thanks for any input.
MSRockyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

either trailer is about the same for setup and take down the advantage to the bumper pull is that you can still use the P/U bed for tools and such.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

On the plus side;
Your trailer is more comfortable to live in than a motel room.
You can cook in your trailer rather than depend on restaurants or take out.
As Seadog stated, your trailer (vs a 5th wheel) will free up the truck bed to haul tools.
It is less expensive to live in your trailer.

On the negative side;
It will take you longer to travel to a site.
You will have to find a RV park near your work site.
There will be more wear and tear on your trailer and the additional costs from that (tires, maintenance, etc).
You must have your trailer ready at all times to hit the road. (Tires with good tread, brakes in working order and towing equipment.)

For me, the pluses outweigh the negatives.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

If the setup and take down is the same, I guess the real advantage of the 5th, would be the stability. I've towed mine about 450 miles, at about 70mph and didn't really see much sway, although I felt it buck, alot. I'm leaning toward taking my bumper pull out on the road.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

If it were me, I'd keep the paid-off trailer.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:43 AM   #6

A 5th wheel will be more stable in windy conditions but in most cases the 5th wheel will have a choppier ride than your tt. The 5th wheel has a higher profile than your tt therefore you will burn a little more fuel. The 5th wheel on average with be quicker to hook up, but not by much. I'd stay with what you have.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #7

I pipeline and bought a fifth wheel from the start. Have several friends with TT and they like it. It's just your preference. I would go with yours until you think you want a fifth wheel. I can hook up and go faster than some TT but others are about as fast. Really depends if I have been gone for a long time and getting to go home. I can get out fast and drive straight thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #8

The txt that is almost paid for is what I would do.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #9

I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a big 5th wheel just because it might be nicer.

I'd for sure try what you have first..........see how it does.......see how you like it. You own it, so trying it for your purpose is not permanent. You can always go back to hotels, trade it for bigger one, or whatever.........later.

Just try it first.

Keep us posted how it does.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Over the years having moved up from a pop up to a travel trailer now to a fifth wheel, I must say the fifth wheel is the easiest and quickest to hook and unhook. It is also the easiest to pull down the highway. I would not though, buy a new fifth wheel for such a purpose if I had a mostly paid off travel trailer. The hooking and and unhooking ease and time is not a great enough difference to justify any more debt.
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

MSRockyblue, I have the WJ3001w also. After 2 years of camping in it, I can be pulling out of the spot in about 30-35 minutes from start to break camp, especially if we anticipate leaving and have just kept everything picked up. If you are on call, then just keeping things inside the TT in order will let you pack up quickly. The DW secures the chairs, latches the refrigerator and pulls in the slides while I disconnect and hook up to the truck. In your place I would MUCH rather be taking my "home" and personal things with me than staying in hotels and having to pack/unpack all the time. Also if staying for extended periods in hotels, the staff is in your room when you are not, so security is an issue. Keep the Wind Jammer is my vote!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #12

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the info. I think I will keep my trailer and see how she goes. I looked into 5th wheels, and there are some things that I would love to have,(second ac, washer/dryer, more storage, etc), but you guys are right. The main reason for taking it, is to pocket some per diem, that and I'm always worried about bed bugs, in the hotels, even though I haven't dealt with that, yet. Lol. As far as towing goes, I just have the basic WD hitch and friction sway bar. If I find out, it's going to sway more than I like, would one of the nicer dual cam systems be a good buy? I've seen them, and they say they eliminate sway, but I'm always skeptical until I talk to someone that's used something. Is there anything else that might help, besides weight balance, etc?
Old 07-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRockyblue View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the info. I think I will keep my trailer and see how she goes. I looked into 5th wheels, and there are some things that I would love to have,(second ac, washer/dryer, more storage, etc), but you guys are right. The main reason for taking it, is to pocket some per diem, that and I'm always worried about bed bugs, in the hotels, even though I haven't dealt with that, yet. Lol. As far as towing goes, I just have the basic WD hitch and friction sway bar. If I find out, it's going to sway more than I like, would one of the nicer dual cam systems be a good buy? I've seen them, and they say they eliminate sway, but I'm always skeptical until I talk to someone that's used something. Is there anything else that might help, besides weight balance, etc?
I spent way too many nights in hotels when working. Stopped traveling when I retired. We started again as we started camping again. I want my own bed, my own bathroom, and if I want to eat at 2AM I make something.
Consider keeping your paid for TT but get an Equalizer 4 point hitch with sway control. Much better IMO than the dual cam systems. However, once you go 5er you will never go back!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

x2 on the Equalizer hitch, I have virtually no sway with the 3001w. I do have the second A/C and if you are going to travel out west or southwest, put another one on. We camped in 106 degree while in Vegas, and stayed comfortable with both units running; we didn't need a sweater inside, but we were comfortable.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #15

I took my sunset trail 250rb (29 ft tip to tip) to the St. Louis metro area for work Wednesday, job starting Monday. I had to take the campground I got, everything was full.

At this campground and the last one I lived at up there I'd have a hard time backing my windjammer 3001W in I think. I had enough trouble getting the smaller sunset trail in there. People parked everywhere, small spots, lots of full timers with 2 cars that are there for the same reason I am except they bring their wives.

I only want to work about 6 months a year though, and I want a fifth wheel, and I bought the windjammer to leave in Florida,

So my advice might not be the best. My fifth wheel wants probably skew my view.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #16

Keep the windjammer

You have an incredible RV. Keep it and enjoy. Don't second guess your self and think a 5th wheel will be any advantage.. You have a great RV already. Enjoy.
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #17

Staying out of hotels is the major reason many of us have RV's. Go with what you've got and see how it works out. You can always upgrade later if desired.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #18

5th wheel wins, see how to Hitch your TT on YouTube;

O-MY, no way would I buy a Travel Trailer after viewing some videos on How to Hitch your TT to your tow truck on YouTube, way to much work in the Hot Sun, No, No, No. A 5th wheel is much easier and faster with no guess work or hitch removal so you can use your tow vehicle for site seeing and shopping.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #19

I have owned both travel trailers and fifth wheels. Not much difference time wise to hook them up. The fifth wheel might be a little faster but not by much. Most important is to get some quality tires mounted up so you don't have down time on the road with blow outs. NONE of the current crop of ST tires are worth a hoot except for the Maxxis. All ST tires are currently made in China including the worthless Goodyear Marathon. The Maxxis is made in Korea and is the only ST tire worth installing. JMHO.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

If your travel trailer has a weight distribution hitch, there is no way that a TT is as fast as hooking/unhooking a fifth wheel.

I can hitch a 5th wheel in 2 minutes and have wheel chalks removed, and quick walk around in less than 5 minutes.

Hitching and unhitching a fiver so quick and easy. I'll never go back to a WDH travel trailer.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, upgrade, wheel