Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #21

my truck has an info button on the nav screen that will tell me the closest stations as well as the prices .....then i can hop on google maps and scope out the stations with best prices......i also use an aux fuel tank (40gal) so i COULD drive an easy 650+ miles at a time.....but no thanks...i just try and use stations in whatever town im stopping for the day....even if i have to unhook and fill....since i know i only have to do it at MOST once a day ( usually only every other day on a real long trip)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #22

As most have said Planing is the most Important part of a trip. How far can you go on a tank of gas. Sit down before your trip figure out your vehicles mpg (towing) go 2/3 of that on the map and look for Gas stations in that General area. As others have said there are many apps to help find them, when you find one look on the satellite map. If you think you can get in and out without a problem you will more than likely be safe. Traveling 300 to 400 miles a day is 5 to 6 hrs driving. When you stop for the night unhook and gas up making it easy for yourself. My truck gets about 10 mpg towing and has a 30 gal tank so safely I would go 200 before looking, at 250 I want to be filling up. A gas can with 5 gal of gas for emergencies is a good idea and if your toting a generator its going to get used.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #23

I go to truck stops as mentioned above, with an easy on easy off ramp. Then I watch for the height of the overhang. You need to measure the highest point on the trailer mine is 12' 8". I start looking when my gage gets to a 1/4 of tank left. When I get ready to leave a CG that morning I will go get gas first then hook -up a lot easier for me. If you like to travel back roads it's important because you will not find truck stops. Take a good look, and make your entrance plan and exit plan in your head. If you feel uneasy do not go into that station. After awhile it becomes old hat as Bro Les said. I stress overhangs, the older station overhangs are a lot lower then the new one's being built. Do what you feel comfortable with. I have also found that T/A truck stops are a little higher for fuel then the rest.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What device do you have?
I have the kindle fire HDX

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
Broken Toe

Can I make an awkward suggestion? Learn to drive it in tight spots. I know people who almost get paralyzed with fear at the thought of entering the inner-city pulling a trailer. While it takes a little more space and planning than just driving a car, I find that generally it's not that bad. Once you do it a few times, you realize it's not that big of a deal.

Same goes with tight gas stations/parking lots etc. If you get yourself all worked up over how difficult it will be, you pretty much set yourself up for failure. My 21ssl seems small, but when you couple in the 8 foot platform on the front, and the corresponding distance from the ball to the rear axles, it pull like its 'longer' that any trailer I have ever hooked up to, But I have no issues taking in to just about any place I choose.

If you have good mirrors, know where the 'corners' of your rig are, and can back up without bursting into tears, you will find there is very, very few places that are too 'tight' for a trailer.

Practice makes perfect. Find a big open parking lot (local high school on a sunday) and try differing turns and cuts. Get to know your setup and what it will and won't do. It will pay huge in the future.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Can I make an awkward suggestion? Learn to drive it in tight spots. I know people who almost get paralyzed with fear at the thought of entering the inner-city pulling a trailer. While it takes a little more space and planning than just driving a car, I find that generally it's not that bad. Once you do it a few times, you realize it's not that big of a deal.

Same goes with tight gas stations/parking lots etc. If you get yourself all worked up over how difficult it will be, you pretty much set yourself up for failure. My 21ssl seems small, but when you couple in the 8 foot platform on the front, and the corresponding distance from the ball to the rear axles, it pull like its 'longer' that any trailer I have ever hooked up to, But I have no issues taking in to just about any place I choose.

If you have good mirrors, know where the 'corners' of your rig are, and can back up without bursting into tears, you will find there is very, very few places that are too 'tight' for a trailer.

Practice makes perfect. Find a big open parking lot (local high school on a sunday) and try differing turns and cuts. Get to know your setup and what it will and won't do. It will pay huge in the future.

Tim
X 2! Excellent advice Cowracer.....

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

I remember the first time I couldn't find a pull thru - I wish somebody had given me the advice to try the hard stuff before I actually had to DO the hard stuff....excellent advice!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #28

Need some help

Like theySay, there's an app for that :-)

Next Exit is available on the iPhone & iPad.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif76040 View Post
I am trying to plan a trip for the summer, but being new to towing a trailer, I have a concern. Where do the experienced fill up with gas? I can't see myself trying to pull into the corner 7-11 and get gas. Thanks
If this is your first time pulling a trailer take your time, maybe using the parking spaces in a empty parking lot at markers till you get used to turning and backing up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #30

Thank you everyone for the advice.
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #31
Camper Less Camping

Just can't beat using just about any truck plaza...Most have ample overhead especially for the gas motor homes so you'll be fine with a TT or fifth wheel also.

Since I drive diesel, I just scoot up with the big semis in line

Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #32
Site Team

On a trip last fall I followed a sign to truck stop...yeah right. I had no choice but to pull in to get gas knowing I was going to have to back out into a frontage road. I was on fumes.
I (nicely of course) asked dw2b to get out and spot in the street. She said your kidding right (I cant say the rest of what she really said on here) I asked her do you want to drive

Thanks to a trucker holding up traffic I was able to back out just fine.
I was always careful about picking a gas station too , just didnt work out that time.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote