Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Need some help

I am trying to plan a trip for the summer, but being new to towing a trailer, I have a concern. Where do the experienced fill up with gas? I can't see myself trying to pull into the corner 7-11 and get gas. Thanks
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

I fill up the F350 the night before moving (without the RV) then plan no more than 350 mile legs so I don't need fuel on the road!

I use truck stops for the few times I need fuel while transporting. Flying J's are my fav.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Always Learning

A long time ago, I heard the adage - the taller the sign, the better the access. That's held true for diesel. Not sure how it is for gas.

If your navigator is a smart phone user - we often times will scope out gas stations 25-50 miles ahead using Google Maps and the satellite views to see about getting in and out. Every station has a big rig that fills their tanks- they get a bit more leeway with blocking things, but if they can do it so can you.

Just remember, leave ample room between you and the pump. Scope out the gas station before pulling in to make sure you have an exit plan.

And, shoot for the pumps on the ends. If you can find one where the pumps are parallel to the road, they're easier in and out than when they are perpendicular to the road.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

Truck stops are ideal otherwise, if you are heading into unfamiliar territory, what I do is start looking long before I need fuel and chances are you will find a suitable spot. Have a look before you pull in to make sure you can get out without too much trouble. Best advise is to take your time with everything you do until you are more experienced and even then it is always wise to look twice, plan and then do.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

Also try GasBuddy. It has pics (usually) of the station, distance to it, map option and current pricing. Free and well thought out app. We use it a lot. And the miles/tank is something we also try to manage. I can go 400 mi/tank - don't like to as it makes for a long day but if in a pinch, it can be done. We look at the journey as well as the destination as all part of the trip. Try to put your fuel stops at the beginning (before hookup) and the end (after disconnecting) each day. Makes for a much more pleasant trip.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

We have the AllStays iPad app for RVer's. Great gas & camp planning tool - well worth the $10 price.

That said, Loves, Flying J, Petro, Pilot, AM Best & TA Travel centers all cater to RVs and have RV-friendly gas pumps.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Team

I too was nervous about the first time with filling up with gas while towing. The unknown is the scary part but there isn't much to be afraid of. The apps listed above are good tools but there is a book called the Next Exit which also lists gas stations and restaurants for upcoming exits on your route. The book is a bit old school compare to smart phone but hey, it can work too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

I think everybody covered it.

Like Terier wrote, "I too was nervous about the first time with filling up with gas while towing. The unknown is the scary part but there isn't much to be afraid of." It was like that for me too. In a short while, you'll be a pro.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #9

No sharp corners..... no backing up..... an acre to turn..... a full five gal can in the back of the truck bed, just in case. If you can not get into a fuel stop, park where it is safe, pour in your can and walk over and refill it a time or two. Take your time, have plenty of time, don't get in a hurry, watch your mirrors and everything will be fine.....

Two or three times out and it will be old hat and all will be good.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
2014 327 Lacrosse

Need some help

We also love the app ALLSTAYS 9.95 great deal- used it all the way to Florida and back to Texas. Gives big truck stops, RV stops, propane, dump stops, directions to all including exits and you can have satellite pics of the places also. You can also filter Passport American campgrounds and much more. It was the best advice we have gotten from a fellow camper.
Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Site Team

With being nervous I found it didn't hurt to get gas sooner instead of waiting until the tank was almost on empty.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #12

I am new to towing one also.
I usually start to look for a place about 1/2 tank. If I get off at the exit and it doesn't look good, I know I can go on to the next one. Only wasted a minute or two getting off the interstate.
Also, don't be that worried about it. The last trip before winter, we had made reservations at a place that sounded GREAT.
An hour later trying to FIND IT, and turning around four different times, I found you can get in and out of quite a few places you didn't think you could. LOL
Just take a good look before you pull in. You will be fine.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #13

Google Maps always works for me. I check out the satellite images and street views of gas stations about every 200 miles, as thats plenty of time in the truck
mikdanmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #14

My two cents Griff: if you find the station just big enough that you have to block a few extra pumps...do it! They'll live if they have to wait a few more minutes...

Sent from my EVO using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigdaddy View Post
my two cents griff: If you find the station just big enough that you have to block a few extra pumps...do it! They'll live if they have to wait a few more minutes...

Sent from my evo using forest river forums mobile app

Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Remember to "button hook" your turns...and watch your overheads. You'll learn to have favorite types of stops to fill up. I'm with HSVBamaBob - Loves, Flying J, Pilot, Petro, TA. If you get a Pilot/Flying J credit card, you'll save an average of 5c/gal, and they automatically debit your checking or debit account
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
We have the AllStays iPad app for RVer's. Great gas & camp planning tool - well worth the $10 price.

That said, Loves, Flying J, Petro, Pilot, AM Best & TA Travel centers all cater to RVs and have RV-friendly gas pumps.
I don't have an iPad and I can't get the AllStays app, is there other app's that you can recommend

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I don't have an iPad and I can't get the AllStays app, is there other app's that you can recommend

What device do you have?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #19

Well said-Exactly what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiscpl6 View Post
Truck stops are ideal otherwise, if you are heading into unfamiliar territory, what I do is start looking long before I need fuel and chances are you will find a suitable spot. Have a look before you pull in to make sure you can get out without too much trouble. Best advise is to take your time with everything you do until you are more experienced and even then it is always wise to look twice, plan and then do.
Well said!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #20

If you are a good sam member, you can have them plan your trip & include fuel stoos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote