Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Need some input !!!

New to camping, Thinking about different ways to use my new Windjammer. I have no room to store it at my house. I have been thinking about having the TT stored at one of the Myrtle Beach Campgrounds for at least a few months
There are several campgrounds that offer storage. I kinda of like the idea of calling them, they will place it on a site. I drive down, up set it up stay for a few days. When I leave they tow it back to storage. It could be sorta like my beach cottage. I know I am missing something here. It would sure save on wear and tear on my TV. ( I hope to replace it by next year ). It would appear that the storage fee is reasonable. Then mid summer I would change locations and see some different sites. Are these storage area pretty secure?
Any damage to the TT?. any thoughts. It would also cure the storage issue. I have a place to store the TT during the winter. Sure seems like it would work,I am looking for some advice from someone who has "been there done that ". Thanks in advance Chuck in Va.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

Sounds to me like you have a good plan with the storage at the campground that you like. Kind of like ' in and out" storage service that marinas offer to boaters.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

To each his own. We travel to Myrtle beach at least once every Summer and we see the lots where these campers are stored. They are in gated and fenced areas. Seems to be a popular thing as the lots seem to be pretty full with campers stored in them. Personally, unless you close by and spend a lot of time camping there and using your camper, it seems like a very large investment (camper) with very little use (return). I like the idea of having my camper available at any moment to just go and camp wherever.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
MMCM/SS

Is the rate per month or year?
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Hi there,

After trying a couple of storage places I settled on a nearby KOA campground. It's working out really well and the owners are great.

I camp elsewhere but they allow me to dump when I'm returning the unit to storage and at the end of the season. There's a meadow off to the side of the sites that is used for storage, usually 15 to 30 trailers scattered there, and I can come and go to work on mine as I like. They only ask to know when I'm taking it out or returning it.

Costs less than some, more than others, but it works for me.

Cheers!

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for the responses, Its a pain that I have no room for storage at my home. I really don't like imposing on other peoples generosity for storage. Trying to get the most use out of the TT. I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem, just reading through the posts quite a few people store their tt other than their home. Its like my boat, I pay slip fee every 6 months The TT will be the same. Will your insurance cover your TT while it is stored,or does the storage facility require "special insurance ". I will figure it out. Myrtle beach is not very close to home, maybe I just need to camp there and store somewhere closer to my home. Thanks again, I really enjoy reading the posts. I have learned a lot, and no doubt will learn much more.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #7

We found a storage place close to home for $80/month. I figure it's like increasing our mortgage w/out getting a bigger house. We had thought about storing it close and moving it further away for the winter but decided it wasn't worth the time/gas spent traveling to and from the winter place.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Storage near ocean----------------

I lived near the ocean in Key West years ago in the Navy, I also had a mobile
home at the time, SALT was the death to the finish on a mobile home. In just a short time all the screws, window frames, any metal such as the tung
, steel frame would rust and began to deteriorate very bad. I spent two weeks in a RV park on the ocean in Carrabelle, Florida in 2010 in a 26' TT.
In just two weeks all the screws & Metal rusted beyond belief including my satellite dish stand. I now avoid camping on the ocean. It is nice for sun set and sun rise, the beach close by to park so close. But the damage is so bad. For me it is not worth it including mildew!!!!

Thought I would mention this as a caution.

Find a farm close by, cut a deal with the owner to park (stow) on his property. Knock on doors and ask for a
$30.00 a month deal. You would be suprised at the takers fo the $30.00 a
month.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

Storage fees are aggrivating. Depending on whether it is indoor or outdoor storage can be a big difference in price. We keep our camper at an otdoor storage facility during the typical camping season (April to November) it is $59/month and it is gated and fenced. During the winter months the camper is stored in a building at the fair grounds for a one-time fee of $250 for indoor storage from (November to April). It is nice to have the camper indoors and out of the elements during the wnter. Check your county fairgrounds where you live to see if they offer the same.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

When you put your camper in storage call your insurance company and tell them that it is in storage. You can cancel the collision part of the insurance it is a lot cheaper that way. I reinstate the collision coverage when I moved from storage to my seasonal site. Once on the seasonal site I cancelled the collision again. It only takes a phone call and I save almost 50% on the insurance bill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #11

Daisy Boykin, Never gave the salt air conditions a consideration, that would have an impact on the finish of the TT and eventually effect the value at a later date. Thanks for the post. I live near the Chesapeake Bay and keep my boat at a local marina, and we are always fighting the effects of salt water and salt spray. So I will forget the idea of storing the TT near the beach, I will just visit and when I leave, it leaves with me. There are other storage areas here they usually range $50-$70 per month that storage is outside, some are gated. I will continue looking and trying to figure out how to handle the storage issue. meanwhile I really need to concentrate on camping.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Always Learning

My sister does similar to what you're talking about- she stores the camper at the campground that she stays at. They don't offer towing service to/from the sites, but her boyfriend's truck is good enough for that. They'll stay for 10 days at a time and she commutes to/from work from there (which I understand isn't an option for you since MB is so far from Newport News). She loves it- she's happy with going to the same place and actually would prefer to be seasonal, this was just a cheaper option for her.

As for a storage lot- lots of us do it. My lot is ran by the town that I live in and it's fairly cheap for the spot that we have (40' spot for $70/month). It's not covered and there isn't any electricity, but it's only about 6 miles from the house. As long as I remember my keys and fifth wheel hitch, it's convenient.

The downside- there are occasional reports of folks having stuff stolen from their trailers at storage lots.