Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
You had a 3 hour tour? We got maybe 20-30 minutes tour of the outside hookups, etc. I recorded it on my phone, but it ran out of power before he finished.
I wouldn't have taken possession of the RV until they gave me an adequate PDI.
Not sure why you allowed them to do that to you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #22

Just remember what happened to Gilligan on a 3 hour tour! Considering that most RV lots have at least 25 different models of RVs, how can anyone expect your guide to do more than a cursory tour for the uninitiated to RV life? Here are the dump valves...dump the black first then dump the grey; here is the cable connection, here is the power cable, use a dogbone for less than 50 amps...

The list goes on and on. I think many regulars on this site could easily do a 3 hour PDI for any RV after looking at it for 5 minutes, but we are RVers. Someone who is available to do a PDI at an RV dealer generally has no more than a cursory knowledge of RV subsystems, not to mention the specific idiosyncrasies or a given brand and model. We all have been told the wrong things with tremendous emphasis during a PDI.

That is what this site is for and it does the job extremely well. If only new members would learn to search before asking or just lurk and listen to the problems that others have gotten into. They will become experienced RVers in a couple of days.

The shorter the PDI...the less misinformation.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Just remember what happened to Gilligan on a 3 hour tour! Considering that most RV lots have at least 25 different models of RVs, how can anyone expect your guide to do more than a cursory tour for the uninitiated to RV life? Here are the dump valves...dump the black first then dump the grey; here is the cable connection, here is the power cable, use a dogbone for less than 50 amps...

The list goes on and on. I think many regulars on this site could easily do a 3 hour PDI for any RV after looking at it for 5 minutes, but we are RVers. Someone who is available to do a PDI at an RV dealer generally has no more than a cursory knowledge of RV subsystems, not to mention the specific idiosyncrasies or a given brand and model. We all have been told the wrong things with tremendous emphasis during a PDI.

That is what this site is for and it does the job extremely well. If only new members would learn to search before asking or just lurk and listen to the problems that others have gotten into. They will become experienced RVers in a couple of days.

Very Good Info! Thank You! Youroo!!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:

LOL. I do trust my dealer and they did a thorough PDI on my new camper. But if I have a problem, here is where I go first. Touche'. Well stated.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Cable should be used for TV

This is he cable that should be used for all RV park cable service
and any Satellite service. It is quad shielded.
It can be found on AMAZON>

Cable Matters 2-Pack, CL2 In-Wall Rated (CM) Quad Shielded RG6 Coaxial Patch Cable in Black 50 Feet
Sold by: Cable Matters
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #26
Team Bleu

We have box which needs to be switch to Cable, plus the TV input
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
My guess is this is their first TT and I'm willing to be 95% of people don't know what an "adequate" PDI should be. If they don't know what to ask about after they're shown what the dealer shows them I guess that's what you get.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #28

...and those that have had RVs know what questions to ask and can be done with a PDI in half and hour.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
...and those that have had RVs know what questions to ask and can be done with a PDI in half and hour.
Scott, we had never owned anything but a basic popup.
It was a family owned dealer known for good service.
We had driven 2000 miles and they wanted to make sure they went over everything, before we headed back.
Their tech was extremely knowledgeable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #30

Inadequate instructions for TV cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
...Do any dealers cover this in the walk through? ...
Indeed, do any dealers have documentation outlining minimum requirements for a walk through?

Evidently, your walk through was no better than mine. A service department trainee walked us through our new TT and pointed at components and repeated their names. He rarely demonstrated functionality. I received no documentation outlining the walk through, so whatever the tech saw and named was the scope of my walk through.

I want a user friendly user manual that would be ... well ... useful! It would include basic procedures covered in a walk through as well as more detailed descriptions for all component and system. Such a manual would really be helpful for a newbie, like me.
bobkathy78759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #31
Site Team

There are numerous PDI checklists on the Internet, including here.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkathy78759 View Post
Indeed, do any dealers have documentation outlining minimum requirements for a walk through?

Evidently, your walk through was no better than mine. A service department trainee walked us through our new TT and pointed at components and repeated their names. He rarely demonstrated functionality. I received no documentation outlining the walk through, so whatever the tech saw and named was the scope of my walk through.

I want a user friendly user manual that would be ... well ... useful! It would include basic procedures covered in a walk through as well as more detailed descriptions for all component and system. Such a manual would really be helpful for a newbie, like me.
Our dealer actually did have a sign off sheet that I had to initial that each item on it was covered and any questions were answered to my satisfaction. I've also built my own checklists over the years to help me remember things at times and a travel log to track our trips & maintenance...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #33

Woulda, coulda, shoulda - hindsight is 20/20. Maybe someone else will read this and learn what to do to prevent/minimize issues but at this point they just need help and I wish I had more knowledge/experience to help them with - perhaps the suggestions already given on the actual issue they're having have been enough to help them resolve it - I hope so
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

I am the one who is the eyes and ears for everything now. My DH has mild dementia, and doesn't concentrate well. I am new at auto stuff, but am a quick study, and very motivated. I didn't think about the inside of the RV systems until I got it home. Once home I did get out the manuals, binder, etc., and sat at the MH dinette alone, and studied everything. Then I drove it to my parents' house and my 90 yo dad did a thorough walk-thru with me. Then, I felt more at ease and "got"it! I also, drove it to our local RV shop and had paid him to do a couple of things, including check the nose to be sure the caulking bead was good. I had read on this forum about someone having a new MH and water seeping into the nose. I do read and pick up good info here.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable