Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Never Get Cable Connection

I bought a cable coax at Walmart for our CA to NY round trip in June. Nowhere was I able to get cable to power on to our TV. So, I gave up and just watch the one or if lucky, two local TV channels, or nothing on TV. Boring in the evenings! I looked the control panel over and there is no switch to change from TV to cable. The remote didn't help either. What am I doing wrong? I ended up using my Ipad to stream Amazon movies a few times, which is miserable because yjevcampground wifi is slow and it pauses a lot, and my ipad speaker is low, too. So, for the future, how do I actually use cable in my mh? Thank you 😊

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
I bought a cable coax at Walmart for our CA to NY round trip in June. Nowhere was I able to get cable to power on to our TV. So, I gave up and just watch the one or if lucky, two local TV channels, or nothing on TV. Boring in the evenings! I looked the control panel over and there is no switch to change from TV to cable. The remote didn't help either. What am I doing wrong? I ended up using my Ipad to stream Amazon movies a few times, which is miserable because yjevcampground wifi is slow and it pauses a lot, and my ipad speaker is low, too. So, for the future, how do I actually use cable in my mh? Thank you ��

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Behind, around or near the tv is the switch plate where the cable is connected to the wall. On that switch plate is a very tiny button, and a green pilot light. That is the power amplifier. It has to be turned on for over the air (antenna) reception (green light ON) and off for cable reception. It you leave the amplifier in the ON position, you won't get cable.

Also, you have to go the the MENU of your tv, via your remote control, and tell the tv what kind of input you have (antenna or cable) and then scan for all channels connected with that input. If you do both of those things, you should get cable reception where cable is provided.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

It sounds like the antenna boost button might be pushed in
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

First there is a connection somewhere in a cabinet that has a lite on it. Some are green some red (have had both). Push that button so light goes out, next go to menu on the tv scroll to channel then change air to cable, next down to auto scan, then start scan. This should give you a cable signal. If all this doesn't work then a wiring problem. Good luck
Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

To use campground cable amp must be off. Amp is for the roof antenna only. Also when using roof antenna you must setup TV to receive digital signals and search for them Campground cable is usually analog.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

Try running a cable directly from the campground cabe box to you tv. If it works, you can start trouble shooting from there. If it doesn't work, it's a setting on your tv. Use the "source" button on the tv to try different connections. If there's no source button, it will be in your "menu" options.
tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

We normally boondock so our first campground (Anaheim RV) we experienced the same issue. After time trying to figure it out ourselves we called the main office. They said this happens more often than not and sent their maintenance guy to help out. Up and running in less than 30 min.
CathyFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

booster operation.

How many times in the last few weeks on this forum has someone needed instructions on how to operate the ant. booster. Do any dealers cover this in the walk through. We bought a new MH in July and I do not remember the dealer showing us how to use the booster. Not that I needed instruction as we have had three TT's with the booster.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
How many times in the last few weeks on this forum has someone needed instructions on how to operate the ant. booster. Do any dealers cover this in the walk through. We bought a new MH in July and I do not remember the dealer showing us how to use the booster. Not that I needed instruction as we have had three TT's with the booster.
We bought a new Hemisphere and the only thing our dealer told us about the amp was it always had to be on. I found out that was wrong by reading this forum.
R HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
The guy who did our walk thru did explain how it worked, twice....
Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Oooh OK, I was leaving the antannea "on". Thank you!!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Our walk thru was only a quick overview of the outside stuff. Nothing inside was covered. I have looked at all manuals, for what tgey are worth. Some don't even go with our equipment or the Ford dash components.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
You are correct. My experienced father in-law showed me on my first TT.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Our walk thru was only a quick overview of the outside stuff. Nothing inside was covered. I have looked at all manuals, for what tgey are worth. Some don't even go with our equipment or the Ford dash components.
I am sorry your but your dealer has been weighed, he have been measured, and has been found wanting.

Hope they did not charge extra for it.

As for the manuals with the brand name and model number a web search will likely be the best thing you can do.

Some members here are quite versed so any questions you have will be answered so please do ask.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Site Team

As a customer you have to be willing to demand a thorough PDI, if the dealer is trying to rush you through it.

Luckily my dealer gave us a thorough 3hr PDI.
Didn't have to get mad.

Oh, they did explain the antenna booster to me.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #16

The instruction Capt. Mike gave you were correct, most of the time. If your at a campground and it doesn't work with the Capt's. instructions ask the front desk if there's a secrete. In Durango CO and Terra Haute IN to get cable reception the amplifier had to be on.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As a customer you have to be willing to demand a thorough PDI, if the dealer is trying to rush you through it.

Luckily my dealer gave us a thorough 3hr PDI.
Didn't have to get mad.

Oh, they did explain the antenna booster to me.

You had a 3 hour tour? We got maybe 20-30 minutes tour of the outside hookups, etc. I recorded it on my phone, but it ran out of power before he finished.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #18

Quote:
You had a 3 hour tour? We got maybe 20-30 minutes tour of the outside hookups, etc. I recorded it on my phone, but it ran out of power before he finished.
Very simply put: you got cheated on your PDI.

At the very least they should prove that everything is working as designed before you pull off the lot. This includes the fridge/freezer, AC, furnace, radio (a true mystery), the stove/oven, water pump, etc. None of these can be done from the outside only.

Good luck with your camper. You've gotten advice from people who have helped me more than they will ever know.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #19

Personally my experience with park cable is spotty. Sometimes loads of snow and interference, sometimes tons of channels. However there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Sometimes the booster switch that controls the antenna amplifier is also the input switch that controls antenna vs park connection, sometimes there is a separate box in the same area that has a switch to change inputs. However, a couple of basic principles are:

1) Antenna booster should be on for antenna and off for park cable or satellite. If there is a separate switch...flip it to the correct source.

2) Antenna signal requires the TV to be set for "antenna" channels. Park cable requires it to be set for "cable" as source. There are frequency differences here as well as signal type variations. Antenna signals will always be digital and park signals will be analog. Many modern TVs will search for both types at the same time, but the channel frequencies are slightly different.

If you can't get it to work, connecting directly from the pedestal to a TV is a good idea to avoid trying to fix something that is totally broken.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Cruces View Post
The instruction Capt. Mike gave you were correct, most of the time. If your at a campground and it doesn't work with the Capt's. instructions ask the front desk if there's a secrete. In Durango CO and Terra Haute IN to get cable reception the amplifier had to be on.
This also Just happened to us,the Campground Owner told us at Check In,"We have Over the Air Cable,hook up to our connection like any other Cable,BUT Leave Your Booster Light Off"! Just to Check while we were watching TV I pushed the Little Button On and the Screen went Black! Pushed it back Off and Movie was On again! The Setting on the TV was "ANTENNA"! There is "Nothing Standard"! Youroo!!

Tags
cable