Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Never winterized before question!

This is our first year ever owning a camping anything.
We have a Micro Lite 23FB travel trailer.
Heading out on our last camping trip of the season this Columbus Day weekend.
Most likely will have our dealer winterize the trailer as they are 5-minutes from our house.
My question is how do I leave the Black & Grey tank when I get done flushing them out?
Do I still put chemical in the black with a few gallons of water or do I leave it empty (same for grey) ?
Thanks!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Make sure it is empty as possible and just put about a 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze in each tank. Open the valve on the bottom of the freshwater tank if you have put water in it before and let it drain as you come home. I know some people will say water may spray on following vehicles but they probably have never followed a cattle truck in Kansas, believe me water is better and it is just a trickle anyway.
I wouldn't add any water back into any tanks. If a dealer does the winterizing he will put RV antifreeze in your tank. I wouldn't bother with any chemicals until you dewinterize.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #3

You should consider doing it yourself. It is a lot cheaper and can be done in about a 1/2 hour. I did mine for the first time last year and can't see every paying to have it done again. Here is a video I did while winterizing my RV:

Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

I winterize my residential refrigerator ice maker but that's it. I keep heat on in winter because we travel every month

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #5

You might consider doing the winterizing yourself. With that said I always drain the gray and black tanks of liquid close the valves and let the antifreeze I'm pumping thru the system drain into the tanks (do not add any additional water) this eliminates the possibility of water freezing at the valves. I also put enough antifreeze in the toilet to cover the valve by about 1" or so to keep the seal from drying out.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

easy peezie
i gave my wife the pink shower again this year as i forgot to shut off the top HW bypass. I couldnt understand why there was nothing coming out of the hot water lines. once i shut off the HW tank bypass it pumped it through to the kitchen tap first which she shut off then the bathroom tap and again she shut it off. the shower (less the shower head and hose) was like an oil rig pumping antifreeze.

last year the check valve in the city water inlet was stuck open and I sprayed a gallon on her.

and hand your wife a rain jacket and a shower hair cover with safety glasses. when she asks why.., tell her a friend suggested it.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

I agree with those that do their own winterizing. It is easy. Just take your time and make sure all your lines are drained; You may have a low point drain for the cold and hot water lines somewhere on the outside of the unit. If so, open them and let them completely drain.
Add rv anti-freeze to the lines and put a bit in each drain to take care of water left in traps.
Don't forget to empty your hot water tank. I know a couple rv'ers that have bought new tanks because they forgot. If you aren't going to keep it heated then it is a good idea to put 2 or 3 dry z air (or equivalent) in the unit to take care of condensation. Good luck and happy rv'ing in the spring.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the tips, we are going to enjoy are final trip of the season this weekend then we will tackle the winterizing!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Make sure it is empty as possible and just put about a 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze in each tank. Open the valve on the bottom of the freshwater tank if you have put water in it before and let it drain as you come home. I know some people will say water may spray on following vehicles but they probably have never followed a cattle truck in Kansas, believe me water is better and it is just a trickle anyway.
I wouldn't add any water back into any tanks. If a dealer does the winterizing he will put RV antifreeze in your tank. I wouldn't bother with any chemicals until you dewinterize.
I sure hope I am not driving or riding behind you,,, in a auto or a bike that I just spent a couple of hours detailing !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize