Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #51

Hey Wildcat Chris,

Tow ratings are meaningless without an adequate payload rating to support people, gear, hitch and pin weights. You sound just like any other RV salesman.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Marshall.. How many people and what would the weight of ALL the gear loaded in both the 5er and Truck be ??
Only two of us in the truck (300 lbs) and about 450 lbs of gear/food.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #53
JAYCO Representative

Arrow Meaningless? Not really... but more info is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Hey Wildcat Chris,

Tow ratings are meaningless without an adequate payload rating to support people, gear, hitch and pin weights. You sound just like any other RV salesman.
Hmmm. Well, while I do sell RVs (to RV dealerships), if you reread what I wrote, I pointed out that a good rule of thumb is to make sure your tow vehicle can safely handle your payload. Then I linked to manufacturer truck specs for ease of reference.

People have varying opinions on how to best pair their truck to trailer (look at this thread, for instance). People use their RVs in different ways on various road conditions and distances. There's a lot of variables to figure in -- and it's worthwhile homework for any new RV owner to do. There's a few different RV weight calculators out there on the internet to help. But again, people's opinions on this subject vary quite a bit...

Oh, and for the record, I'm absolutely not just "any other RV salesman." I'm the RV salesman who's spending his free time learning and sharing with experienced consumers so I can help make the next generation of Forest River RVs even greater.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #54

Kinda makes you wonder how we were able to tow anything in the 70's with nothing more than an old station wagon. Oh yeah, the air shocks helped. Thank God there wasn't an Internet back then and the self appointed weight police.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #55

Marshall,

Look at the payload rating on the door sticker of your new truck. This is a good place to start. This number needs to support (at minimum) the hitch weight and pin weight. There is also a GVWR number. This number needs to support the weight of the truck, passengers, gear, hitch and pin weights.

What to do: load your truck with passengers, full tank of gas and any gear you plan to be in the truck. Go to your local CAT scale and weigh. Subtract this number from the GVWR and that is what is left over to support your hitch (assuming it is not installed yet) and pin weight. A typical fiver pin weight is 20%. 15% is considered to be the minimum to be safe when towing. Going over the GVWR could be a safety issue.

Take particular note of the RAWR (rear axle weight rating - also on your door sticker) and subtract the CAT scale rear axle weight from this number. What is left over again needs to be able to support the hitch and pin weights. It is generally considered to be NOT A GOOD IDEA to exceed this rating.

Learn what all of these ratings are and what they mean. Exceeding the GVWR by a couple hundred lbs. is probably not going to hurt anything, but could. These ratings are there (every truck has them) for a reason.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Hmmm. Well, while I do sell RVs (to RV dealerships), if you reread what I wrote, I pointed out that a good rule of thumb is to make sure your tow vehicle can safely handle your payload. Then I linked to manufacturer truck specs for ease of reference.

People have varying opinions on how to best pair their truck to trailer (look at this thread, for instance). People use their RVs in different ways on various road conditions and distances. There's a lot of variables to figure in -- and it's worthwhile homework for any new RV owner to do. There's a few different RV weight calculators out there on the internet to help. But again, people's opinions on this subject vary quite a bit...

Oh, and for the record, I'm absolutely not just "any other RV salesman." I'm the RV salesman who's spending his free time learning and sharing with experienced consumers so I can help make the next generation of Forest River RVs even greater.
sorry Chris I didn't take 'capacity and ability' to mean payload. I stand corrected.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoe View Post
Only two of us in the truck (300 lbs) and about 450 lbs of gear/food.
Marshall ..what is the payload capacity for your Truck ??
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #58

Towing - 5,000 lbs - std., 10,250 lbs - max
Payload - 1,510 lbs - max
Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #59

Chris:

Is there a fifth wheel that my truck is safely capable of towing?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #60

Thanks Dave. Great info in there. Sorry for putting you in a position to pull out the body armor again.

Tags
5er