Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

New 5th wheel

Well we bought are first 5th wheel yesterday. Been camping in a pop up for the last 11 years. We got a Flagstaff 8528TBWS which we will pickup this Friday. Going camping to try it out on labor day load up the grandkids and go. I have never pulled a 5th wheel so I hope it isnt to bad to manuver around.

Rabidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

and Congrats to the world of 5ers, you are going to love it, hitching up is dead easy and towing you will hardly notice she is there even in strong winds and semis hurtling past. As with towing anything, wider turns, brake slightly earlier and practice reversing till you get the distances before it turns worked out.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

You are going to wonder why it took so long to switch to a 5th. Hope you have a 'modern' hitch. The old ones did not lock automatically when you locked in. That was the biggest reason for dropping the trailer onto the truck bed sides. Mine, I back under, the hitch locks on the kingpin and an indicator pops out of the front showing the kingpin is in place, the lever has set with the safety pin holes lined up. Is your hitch a double pivot? If not hooking and dropping your trailer can be a pain if the truck and trailer are at different slants. You may need to block your truck to the same level as your trailer to disconnect or connect. Just take your time, there is no hurry, don't forget to raise the landing gear or the rear stabilizers.

Biggest mistake is backing into your campsite, not watching your cab and ding the front of the trailer with the back of your cab. That usually takes a real sharp turn. I also have a short box so need to watch my angle when backing to hook up so my tail gate does not hit the trailer. Oh, last thing, don't forget to drop your tailgate! (don't even bother asking).
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

Congratulations! Like previously stated, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

We almost bought the same trailer, but opted for the 8528BHSS for the extra room with the bunks. We LOVED the outside kitchen though.

As others have stated, towing a fiver is so much better than a bumper pull. Of course, you are coming from a pop-up, but from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel, the difference is immense.

Best of luck!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel