Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #21

Rejet info for Honda: (You might want to check for Champion info.)

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/pci54675.pdf

Interesting video on Champ Propane operation:

https://youtu.be/hb6NoNVYNhA

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

I just got the Champion 3500 and am very impressed with it. I got it not only for the RV but for the house as well. It runs my trailer with no problem at all and hardly flinches at my 15000 btu AC. The dual fuel is nice when the gas pumps are dry which lately has been a problem with all of the hurricanes. They may be out of gas but they always seem to have propane. One of the best features is it's set up for RV use with a 30 amp plug. It is a bit heavy but I can lift it into my truck without much trouble. I would think that two smaller units combined would not be much lighter. Time will tell but I think with maintenance this generator will last for years.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #23

I emailed champion support on altitude. They are mailing me a new jet and suggest it is used over 3,500ft. It is not needed for propane.

Btw easiest oil change I have done on a generator. The tube makes things very simple and clean.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I emailed champion support on altitude. They are mailing me a new jet and suggest it is used over 3,500ft. It is not needed for propane.

Btw easiest oil change I have done on a generator. The tube makes things very simple and clean.
Is this free or did they charge you for it?
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
Is this free or did they charge you for it?
Free. They asked for address and serial number.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Free. They asked for address and serial number.
Somebody told me that they spoke with someone at Champion and the guy indicated the 3400 is water resistant whereas the 3500 isn't. Not sure if that makes a big difference but is there any other difference with the 2 units?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #27

I don't see how any generator is water resistant. There are no covers on the plugs so I doubt that. The design is very similar on the outside.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't see how any generator is water resistant. There are no covers on the plugs so I doubt that. The design is very similar on the outside.
What is the difference between the 2? Campers World has the 3500 but not 3400 and Cabelas carry the 3400 but not 3500. Do you think they're basically same unit?

I saw somewhere where you can call them up and talk to one of the owners but i can't find the phone # now. Oh well.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #29

Some of the 3500w have remote start but none of the dual fuels do. For the 3400 vs 3500, engines are the same size as are oil capacity and gas tanks but the output is the only difference I see on champions site.

Edit: looks like maybe the TT plug is different but it could be because I am looking at the Canadian version.

I could only find the 3500 at cabellas and CW. The 3400 was at amazon. Costco had the 3100 in store and 3200 online only. Seems to be a lot of skus. The variance can allow them to have various prices.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #30

Just a question on the remote start generators. Everyone sez to remove the load (unplug) before turning the generator off and not to plug in load until the generator is running. Do the remote start gens have some feature that does this for you?

If not, the remote start feature just might be a remote “destroy your electronics” feature.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Just a question on the remote start generators. Everyone sez to remove the load (unplug) before turning the generator off and not to plug in load until the generator is running. Do the remote start gens have some feature that does this for you?

If not, the remote start feature just might be a remote “destroy your electronics” feature.
I haven't seen a remote start on any gens with dual fuel. I think dual fuel is the way to go since you have propane to begin with, why carry the xtra gas around?
Does anyone know if the 3500 will fit in one of the A212HW storage compartments?
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post

EMS will solve that problem I bet as it will test the power before turning on anything downstream for a few minutes. My trailer also has a long delay.

I have duel fuel so no remote start...
Old 10-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #33

If you use EMS with a Champion, it will give you a ground error. You will need to make a ground to neutral bonding plug to fix this issue, or don't use EMS.

The issue deals with how the RV grounds and how the inverter grounds.

Do a search, lots of help in making the bonding plug. Took me $15 and 10 minutes.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500