Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

New Camper - Broken Steps

Hoping for a little advice. We are first time camper owners so don't know the ins and outs we just brought our brand new 2014 Forest River Salam camper home from the dealership on Monday and not even 24 hours later my husband was walking down steps and they broke off. Needless to say we were shocked this could happen on a brand new camper. I have found some other threads on here of this happening to other people and what they are doing about it. My question is should we be dealing directly with FR or our dealership? We have contacted the dealership and waiting to hear back from them as to what they are going to do but maybe I should be dealing with Fr? I am concerned now after reading other posts that they are going to replace them with the same set of stairs and it will just happen again. Any advice would be appreciated!
Kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Take Pics. send to Dealer and also Salem,with Email Request for Reply on action! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with providing pictures to FR but I would get the steps taken care of at the dealership. Hopefully by now the dealer's service department has contacted you back on this matter.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Where did they break? Individual steps or did the whole unit fall off. I replaced all the pivot rivets with 5/16" Gr 8 bolts and locknuts the same day I got the camper from the dealer. Cannot believe anyone with 1/2 a brain would use rivets for the pivots on steps. Dumb/stupid/ignorance to the nth degree.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #5

The bolt holding the top step sheared off which caused them to collapse but not completely dis-attatch from unit.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

It should be up to the dealer to make the repairs -- that's one of the reasons you bought from him -- and to deal with FR on your behalf if need be. But this one is so obvious there shouldn't be any need to get the factory involved at all.

I WOULD suggest, however, that you urge your dealer to A) replace with grade 8 bolts and B) have them suggest to FR that maybe all future units should have grade 8 hardware.

I trust your DH wasn't hurt?

Good luck!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

It really is a bonehead move using aluminum rivets.....I took precaution and replaced mine with bolts. I am certain that someone has been injured with the failure of these steps.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #8

No my husband was not hurt I am thankful it wasn't one of my kids or mother it might have been a different story. Also my husband corrected me it was the bolt that holds the bracket to camper/steps that sheared off which put pressure on the bar for the third step which then broke causing the steps to fall. Our dealership got back to us and FR is sending new steps and we are looking into replacing with the better bolts. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Was it one of the (2) carriage bolts (Directly Under the Entrance Door) that Broke? The Bolts that secure the entire Step Assembly? A Pic would Clear this up! Youroo!! Or should I say (The (2) Bolts that are ALWAYS Bent!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

Pic of (Bent Bolts)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4114.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	55821  

Tags
camper