Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

New Camper tips/things to know

Hello friends. With our recent Salem 27DBK purchase I’ve spent some time going around these threads trying to learn as much as I can. I came across one saying you should run the furnace of a new camper with the windows open for a few hours to avoid the smoke alarm going off from the oil left in the new furnace. I was wondering if there is anything else to know? Anything I should do or have, any tips at all to ensure that we’re ready to go? Thanks.
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

After you have everything ready to pull away from home or your campsite, have both of you walk around the trailer to be sure the slides are in, awning in, water and electric are unhooked, stabilizers up, hooked up correctly, including safety chains, jack up, stair handle pulled in, stairs up, lights on, bikes and other similar things tied on correctly, chocks out, etc. Also, make sure you have a spotter out if you are near any trees or branches or other obstacles to be sure your corners do not hit. And yes, we have missed a few of these things, despite having both of us look closely. Some use a check off sheet, which might be a good idea.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Always Learning

Maybe this will help:
http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
Old 03-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Clicky

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

People refer to "camp driveway" to suggest a trial run either at your house or incredibly close by. This is a good way to find out the basic needs: blankets, bedding, pillows, toothbrush, cookware, pots, pans, etc. Basically, when you try to live a day in the RV, your misses will become apparent. And, because you're at home, it's no big deal.

You will also have to do some leveling, even at home. So, it will force you to do that. And, if you need to trim up some lumber, you can walk over to your garage and pull out the chop saw.

If you have all the stuff in the trailer to live, eat, and be comfortable, and if you have all the stuff you need to level your trailer, then you are set.

You'll build out the rest with experience.

The other stuff is safety of you and your equipment. You need to build a cadence of set-up and tear-down. Even silly stuff, like chock the wheels before you unhitch your trailer, can get you. Yes, that happens. My buddy did it, but he was in a tiny pop-up, so we quickly just grabbed it before it rolled away.

For those things, you can build a checklist sheet, I suppose, but it's going to be trailer-specific (e.g., do you have a slide? an awning?). Best just to do a thorough walk-around each time before you set up, before you tear down, and after you tear down (before you drive away).

Good luck

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

Congrats on the purchase. My wife and I picked up the same unit about 5 weeks ago, going camping this weekend for our first official trip.

No real suggestions from me as I am kind of in the same boat. Looking through threads here has me feeling pretty good, but, I am sure there will be a learning curve.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Have you sanitized the water system?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Have you sanitized the water system?

I have not, what am I looking to do for that?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
I have not, what am I looking to do for that?
Here you go:
Eww, stinky water! Sanitizing the fresh water system. | Learn To RV
Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #10

Be sure there is water in your water heater before you power it up with electric. The heating element will die in a few seconds without water.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

As crazy as this sounds, I got advice from a few different people who are experienced campers and watched a few videos on the ol' youtube and wrote everything down in order as to what to do from start to finish and went over and over it (it was winter, I was bored lol) it got to be second nature once we were on our first trip. Honestly though, backing it in takes more thought than anything else and after that everything else is just more time consuming than anything. If I could add anything, just make sure you have enough room for slideouts and level side to side before you unhook the trailer. My Wife and I, probably like many people have a specific routine where one or the other is responsible for xyz.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
Censored Member

Best tip I can give you is to make a checklist for hitching/unhitching and one for opening and closing the trailer. If you actually use it then you probably won't have to start a thread on this forum about your "oops" moment.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #13

light up the oven as well as the furnace. the oven will generate smoke as the furnace. when we first lit up our oven it had the oily residue that made a little amount of smoke just like the furnace did.. enjoy your travels.
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #14

Do a shakedown trip. Just short and close to home or at home. Make a list of things that should stay in the MH and what will need to be replenished. I love spreadsheets. Make a check list for before you leave any site, and one for when you arrive. Watch everything. Have fun.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

I'm a check list person too. Camping is still a long way off here in northeastern Ontario so while I was daydreaming the other day I pulled out my fridge/freezer/pantry checklist. It's been modified many times and I can count 11 years worth of check marks. The other thing I emphasis is to be sure you and your co-pilot (assuming you have one) can comfortably drive your rig. It is no fun when the ambulance takes the driver away and the passenger is left to figure it out. Yup. That's experience talking. Have fun!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #16

Scott's Single Ply toilet paper. Way better and far cheaper than any RV paper!
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

Lots of great advice here. I have one thing I do with my TT when I am ready to move -> (Arrival or departure) I have a 4 inch stop sign placard I made to place over the speedometer (Dash light area). I always get back out of the vehicle and carry my little 4x8 inch card. It says water lines disconnected,power, CATV, Awning in NOW GO LOOK AT THEM AGAIN!

I am at departure time connected to hitch night before. The only thing that should be connected for me is power. I love my AC or heaters.

Upon arrival I have never missed much as if I turn on the TV and it does not work the Uh Duh factor kicks in.

But when I was new at this I nearly drove off with the water connected. Thank god for good neighbors and loud yelling.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #18

Packing tips

Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but something we've learned from experience: Remember when loading your trailer, everything is going to get a good shaking while traveling down the road. Arrange your dishes, glassware, etc. so they won't get damaged by bumping around. If you have any non-stick cookware, pack it so the surface won't get scratched by rubbing against other cookware. (We keep our skillet in a small flat corrugated box.) Anything heavy should be on the floor or well-secured. Don't leave anything loose on the table or counter top. Pack your fridge from the bottom up, with heaviest stuff down low. Put your coffeemaker where the carafe won't bounce out. The bed is a good place to transport stuff that might not stay put, such as your sink cover. We also put a bathmat on the floor of the shower (to avoid scuffing it) and place small items there. After replacing two closet rods damaged by bouncing hangers, we've started putting our heavier clothes on the bed until we arrive in camp. If you like to tinker, you might consider installing small built-in racks in convenient spots to keep such items as coffee mugs, wine glasses, salt & pepper shakers. etc.

In brief, if it ain't wedged in tight somewhere, it's gonna move. Welcome and have fun!
RVBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #19

Ck all your water connections at the sinks to include the outdoor kitchen...some of mine weren't tight. Ck the underbelly for holes...mine had alot that needed sealing. Go around inside and out and tighten all the screws...I found about two hours worth of loose ones...ck water heater operation...gas and electric....mine had a faulty module board and gas didn't work first trip out.....diddo to the rest if the comments...enjoy!!! We love ours.... despite the annoying quality control issues.
2018 Salem 27DBK
charlie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #20

Bought cheap pair of walkie talkies for those tight back in spots. When leaving always do a complete walk-a-round of whole rig. Check that antenna
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper