Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

New camper with rotten tires!

Six weeks ago my wife and I bought a new camper and had not gone thirty miles from the dealer when one of the tires separated into three pieces. Today I was examining the tires on the camper and noticed that the ones on the left side are both rotten and full of cracks. I thought I knew how to read the tire code but guess not. These numbers were on the left front, DOT R2KC 3511 and H 173 01. Do they tell anything?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1
Six weeks ago my wife and I bought a new camper and had not gone thirty miles from the dealer when one of the tires separated into three pieces. Today I was examining the tires on the camper and noticed that the ones on the left side are both rotten and full of cracks. I thought I knew how to read the tire code but guess not. These numbers were on the left front, DOT R2KC 3511 and H 173 01. Do they tell anything?
Tire date code will be in a raised oval only on one side of tire.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #3

Tires were made the 35th week of 2011 (3511). What were your tire pressures? They should have been maxed out to the cold PSI rating on the sidewall. How fast were you driving? ST tires are rated for 65mph max. Low pressure and/or high speed are the two biggest killers of tires.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

The tires are nitrogen filled. Pressure was checked right before our trip. We have been on one 400 mile trip, never over 65mph and mostly 55-60mph. I bought the trailer in Claremore, Oklahoma so it was towed there from the factory. How could the tires crack so badly in less than a year? Only one side shows cracks. I will crawl under tonight and look on the inside for numbers in a raised oval.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

There is an example with photo on what the code looks like and how to read it. Maybe you had defective tires? I would contact FR. When I had a blowout due to defective axles they replaced all 5 tires (4 on trailer and the spare that I had to use to get home).
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Unfortunately, one more example of junk Chinese tires.
I would definitely go after Forest River to pay for new tires, and not more Chinese garbage.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote