Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

New fifth wheel owner questions

Hello Folks, as I browse and look at photos as well as drive through campgrounds I see some fifth wheelers use a tripod on the pin of their rigs, some do not. Stability I presume is the reason. Is this tripod a necessity? Does it add much more stability to the trailer? For minerals in the water which is the preferred method of demineralizing? Softener or DI? Is the tailgater satellite good? Sorry I am so confused and do not want to do anything twice. I would rather save up and buy one thing if the cost is more then a lesser product twice or more times.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Some swear by them others swear at them.
Yes you are correct about the stability.

Some people like something like this.

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...ilizer+package

It is bolted right to the trailer so there is no storage problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Strong arm type stabilizers and 2 Bal X Chocks will do more than adequate job of stabilizing the 5er. To eliminate the bounce on the tires/suspension, a set of jacks on the 2 x 4 tubing in front of the axles does a good job.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiaggioMP3 View Post
Hello Folks, as I browse and look at photos as well as drive through campgrounds I see some fifth wheelers use a tripod on the pin of their rigs, some do not. Stability I presume is the reason. Is this tripod a necessity? Does it add much more stability to the trailer? For minerals in the water which is the preferred method of demineralizing? Softener or DI? Is the tailgater satellite good? Sorry I am so confused and do not want to do anything twice. I would rather save up and buy one thing if the cost is more then a lesser product twice or more times.
We haven't ever used a king pin stabilizer, and i ordered our new sabre with the JT strong arm stabilizers. I think ive seen about 1 kingpin stabilizer for about every 20 or so 5ers. But thats just me.
I don't know about the satellite. I've never had satelite service at house or anywhere, im too cheap.
On water filters, I think most use the factory installed filter or a camco blue inline type filter, or a outside setup that is basically the same as what the factor installs inside.
I've seen camper water softeners in a catalog, but never heard of anybody using one on theirs, but I guess somebody does!

Others will have to fill the gaps

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Is this tripod a necessity?
Nope, I don't need it. If you feel it shakes to much.... sure, get one. If not, don't waste your money.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
WFD

First year, we did without the tripod, thinking we'll see if we need it. Although it seemed acceptable there was still more shaking then we liked so I picked up a tripod, and not one of the real expensive ones either...mine was about $80 from amazon. It made a big difference and wont be without it now. Takes minutes to set up...nothing to it. I am always an early riser and the wife likes to stay in bed a bit longer...she says when I get up in the morning and move around the trlr isnt shaking near as much....we also use the BAL X-chocks and swear by them too.

Rick
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
H2oski

I have JTStrongarm type stabilizers and X-chocks, but if we are going to stay for a couple of nights I install my tripod. it helps. Good Luck
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

just got back from the first trip in our new and first 5er. I can see where something is definitely needed.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I decided to get the x-chocks and tripod. I am not so worried about wiggle but I do rise earlier then her so to make sure we are stable I will do what I can. Hope to get the mobile estate next week after they repair the damage they caused and the few items I discovered. I will make them hook it all up so I can do checks on everything before accepting it. Anything special that warrants extra eyes during inspection?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

make them operate every appliance and every function of the unit. Don't take their word of "we checked it all". I just returned from the first trip in our new 5er, after replacing the cracked shower faucet since they didn't winterize it properly. Water heater doesn't work off propane. Heat duct not connected to bathroom floor outlet. Support for wiring on one of the slides broken. Drain valve for one of the gray water tanks not sealing. Etc, etc, etc

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel