Old 08-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
Sunstar35F

screw the ends together or not when stored?

Ok, This line of discussion got me thinking about storage of my fresh water hose between RV trips. (I have three of different lengths) I see a lot of folks screws the two ends together to keep from leaking and keeping containment out. My thinking has always been to completely drain the hose and leave the ends open to keep the hose aired out which would keep things from growing inside. Also I rinse the hose for at least a minute with the fresh water each time to flush it completely out before I hook it up. I keep my hoses in a plastic bin so if I do get a little leakage it stays in the bin and not my carpeted storage bay.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpallone View Post
Ok, This line of discussion got me thinking about storage of my fresh water hose between RV trips. (I have three of different lengths) I see a lot of folks screws the two ends together to keep from leaking and keeping containment out. My thinking has always been to completely drain the hose and leave the ends open to keep the hose aired out which would keep things from growing inside. Also I rinse the hose for at least a minute with the fresh water each time to flush it completely out before I hook it up. I keep my hoses in a plastic bin so if I do get a little leakage it stays in the bin and not my carpeted storage bay.
I use these to protect the hose ends. They are vented to let any water drain out. They keep dirt off of the threads in case it gets dropped while hooking up your hose.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1328_.jpg

Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #13

I screw the ends of my hose together but first I blow all the water out. I keep my water hose in a plastic container with everything that is water related. I keep my sewer hose in another plastic container.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #14

We had to finally get rid of ours after 5 years or so, it split and was turning black inside. So off it went to the dumpster and a new one from the store made things taste pretty good again.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #15

I screw the ends together to ensure nothing crawls in........... About 5 years on this current hose. But it depends if something happens to it....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #16

Since I make wine and beer, I use my sanitizers on my water hose after a trip. Iodophor is cheap and very effective.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #17

I never worry about hoses. I screw the ends together and run some fresh water through them before connecting to the trailer. I replace them when they crack or break which doesn't happen often or we sell them with the trailer and get new ones with the trailer. We have had hoses in the past well over 10 years. If only I could get my sewer hoses to last. Trying the rhino ones now but only get a couple of season out of the blue ones stored in the bumper.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #18

There are I'm sure dozens of ways that people store their hoses and sanitize them. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone ever becoming ill from water delivered to camper thru hose no matter of age or shape. I drank well water from a green hose un-filtered on a farm for years and I'm still hear.

I just drain as best I can put ends together and roll on. Flush it out good before hookup with fresh water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #19

After leaving SC last Spring, it was warm, we headed to NC for a couple of days. When we hooked up there, I found green algae in the fresh water hose, it flowed out easily enough, but we sanitized with some clorox. I really didn't want to drink that or have it flow into our system.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

I drain mine down as far as it will go, then screw the ends loosely together, it goes in a plastic tub with the other freshwater stuff. As a rule when I get home I will pull the tub out and let it air out and lay the hose out to dry too.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water