Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

New Guy... what do I need?

Hey All... My wife and i just bought our first rv... a 2014 Stealth Toy Hauler (2116) but we need some advice. What are some of the things we need to buy... I really have no idea and I suspect the dealer is going to try and sell me everything on the planet when we pick it up on Monday. Thanks all!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
ShooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Surge protector, extra water line, electrical line and sewer lines. Had the first but was short on the other 3 my first trip out. Welcome and have many fun years
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Water filter and water pressure regulator, box of disposable gloves for sewer work, blue towels for grease work with the hitch, bag of levelers.

Get bumper end caps that secure somehow. I HAD two sewer hoses at camp on first trip, but only one made it home when a cap popped off. Hate to find THAT bouncing down the highway!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Brian and his Girl Crew
5 bikes - one top tube
Rig: 2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD + 2009 Salem 27' TT
b_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Welcome!! what an adventure! you'll love it.

You've got a TT so you'll need a weight distributing / anti sway hitch (up to $800), toilet chemicals, pressure regulator if you're going to hook up to a water source, an in-line water filter is a good idea, clean water supply hose (white), black water supply hose (don't want to cross contaminate) jack and stabilizer pads (can be 2x6 boards), wheel chocks, and along with the sewer lines a 90 deg elbow and sewer connection. Take a good flashlight along with you and some beer.

If you're going to boondock (not hook up to a water, electric, or sewer ), you'll want to sanitize your fresh water tank before you go out. fill your water tank about 1/3 full, pour in 1 1/2 cups of chlorine bleach, then finish filling the tank until it overflows. Llet it sit that way overnight, then drain the tank, refill to overflowing and drain it again (rinse) then fill 'er up.

You can get a lot of the above items at most local Wal-Mart stores, they are usually in the automotive section (not in the camping section as you might expect).

Have fun and enjoy.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #5

Congrats!

A bottle of champagne...splash some across the bow to ensure good fortune and then enjoy the remaining bubbly with the wife....good luck. Have fun!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

take a small 2ft carpenter's level with you. Open the door and set it on the floor. I don't rely on the small camper levels they sell.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

if your camper runs on 30amp i would also suggest a dongle to convert from 50 to 30. i have had several camp grounds that the 30 amp outlets are broken or dont work.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #8

A really good idea is to do a "camp driveway" type thing before you go out the first time. Stay overnight at the house, kick the tires, try everything out for real. It's easier to run back into the house if you forgot to pack something (and the first time there's ALWAYS something you forgot to bring) than when you're 100 miles or more away.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. From what you have told me, and from my fast RVing experience (aka... none), here is what I have determined...

Must Haves:
Sewer Line and Accessories (Obviously)
Water Hose
Hose (other than drinking water)
Surge Protector
Electrical Line (Hopefully comes with TH)
Level
Amp Converter
Wheel Chock
Stabilizer Pads
Alcohol

Should Haves:
Water Line Pressure Regulator
In Line Water Filter

I am sure I am forgetting all kinds of things. Feel free add more to this list.

Thanks all!!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
NELA

Based on two threads here this morning (tornado in an RV park in VA)

A WEATHER RADIO!

I saw a short video of a young lady inside her RV, in total panic not understanding "what is going ON?" as golf ball sized hail fell, and then seeing a tree fall on an RV across from her.

We WILL be adding that to our equipment before we leave tomorrow. We have one here at home in our "emergency prep" equipment, but it's going IN OUR RV.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum, your list left out some very important things mentioned above:

1. A weight distribution hitch and sway controls are a must and required by law for your size of TT.
2. Boards, Blocks or something like Links Blocks are a must your TT must be leveled from side to side first then end to end. You mentioned stableizer pads which can also be used for leveling by placing under the tires make sure you bring plenty some camp sites (even paved ones) are very un-level.
3. What you called an amp converter is actually a plug adapter sometimes called a dog bone adapter or doggle.
4. Treatment chemicals for the black water (sewage) tank.
5. Toilet paper compatable with RV use. RV TP is very expensive, we use Amgel Soft, if in doubt about what you select take a couple squares and place it in water with lid and shake it if the paper desolves and comes apart your good to go.

Do yourself a favor and go to Walmart or similar store for these items, they are very expensive at the RV store.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

A WEATHER RADIO!

I saw a short video of a young lady inside her RV, in total panic not understanding "what is going ON?" as golf ball sized hail fell, and then seeing a tree fall on an RV across from her.

We WILL be adding that to our equipment before we leave tomorrow. We have one here at home in our "emergency prep" equipment, but it's going IN OUR RV.
Oh, I couldn't agree more about the weather radio, especially if you are in an area with unfamiliar weather patterns. Here in So Cal we probably wouldn't have to worry so much about bad weather but you never know where you might be traveling to. We just need an earthquake radio.

Among all that stuff listed above there will be a full on trauma kit, flashlights, probably a glock and any other emergency do-hickies that I tend to always have around.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterGuy View Post
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. From what you have told me, and from my fast RVing experience (aka... none), here is what I have determined...
  • Must Haves:
  • Sewer Line and Accessories (Obviously) [Get a Rhinoflex system & you will be worryfree!]
  • Water Hose [Make sure it is a WHITE drinking water hose made specifically for RVs - do NOT use a green garden hose]
  • Hose (other than drinking water) [ Not really a must have]
  • Surge Protector [A power management system is more expensive but worth every penny - see Progresive Power Management System]
  • Electrical Line (Hopefully comes with TH) [You will get this with the RV]
  • Level
  • Amp Converter [Actually, it is just a dogbone plug that adapts a 50amp plug to your 30 amp plug]
  • Wheel Chock [buy X-chocks from BAL - again worry free!]
  • Stabilizer Pads [I think you mean leveler blocks - you can either get the best--Andersen Leveler--or settle for the Lego Blocks levelers]
  • Alcohol [Try Black Velvet Toasted Caramel - hooch of choice for a lot of us in the forums ]
  • Should Haves:
  • Water Line Pressure Regulator [nope this is a MUST have! get a brass one to boot not the cheapo plastic ones]
  • In Line Water Filter
I am sure I am forgetting all kinds of things. Feel free add more to this list.

Thanks all!!
See my comments in bold above.
May want to consider an outdoor mat
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

A WEATHER RADIO!

X3 or 4 on the great advice from Weezer.. I actually have two in the camper, both of which have backup hand cranks on them with built-in flashlights in case I forget to charge them or check the batteries.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
A really good idea is to do a "camp driveway" type thing before you go out the first time. Stay overnight at the house, kick the tires, try everything out for real. It's easier to run back into the house if you forgot to pack something (and the first time there's ALWAYS something you forgot to bring) than when you're 100 miles or more away.
YES! Can't stress that enough. Make sure everything, and I mean everything works before you go out, including the fridge on both AC and LP, furnace on AC and LP, Air Conditioner, practice hooking up your hoses even if you don't use them, check all the hatches, latches, and locks, jacks, lights, awning, toilet, sink, shower, and check for leaks. Make sure you take SPARE KEYS!
Know how to activate everything and where the fuse/breaker panel is. Not a bad idea to get a set of extra fuses and a few spare light bulbs.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

make sure you have a jack and lug wrench and spare for the TT

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #17

To second (maybe fifth?) the post by Weezer, a weather radio. The wife and I have an actual weather radio that we have set up in the camper when we are out enjoying ourselves for a weekend or whatever, but we also have an app on our phones that gives us the weather alerts (same alerts as the radio), so that if we are not at the camper we still get the same alerts and we can head back in quick order.

The app we use on our iphones is NOAA Weather Alerts. I think it cost us like $4.99 or something like that from the app store. The icon shows a yellow triangle with an ! in the center

Old 07-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:

A WEATHER RADIO!

*ABSOLUTELY* Weezer!! Thank You for reminding everyone!

Aside - I *think* ya'll have a similar rig as ours - found a cool feature of the Genisis 3.0 A/V System - it has a built in NOAA weather radio.

Note though - the radio Weezer speaks of will come on automagically with an alarm if there is severe weather in the area (the Genisis will not AFAIK)

Quote:
Oh, I couldn't agree more about the weather radio, especially if you are in an area with unfamiliar weather patterns. Here in So Cal we probably wouldn't have to worry so much about bad weather but you never know where you might be traveling to. We just need an earthquake radio.

Among all that stuff listed above there will be a full on trauma kit, flashlights, probably a glock and any other emergency do-hickies that I tend to always have around.
Trauma Kit, check. I know it is expensive, but buy some quickclot. This is something that if you need it, you are gonna really really need it (it was developed in the military to stop GSW & shrapnel bleedouts)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #19

A variety pack of fuses

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Hey All... My wife and i just bought our first rv... a 2014 Stealth Toy Hauler (2116) but we need some advice. What are some of the things we need to buy... I really have no idea and I suspect the dealer is going to try and sell me everything on the planet when we pick it up on Monday. Thanks all!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app

Shooter, I want to ask you 1 question.

Are you out of your mind?!

2 questions actually.

Do you really know what you're getting into?

This is the most addictive hobby a person could ever get involved with. Along with all the necessities that have been mentioned here, and you will need them, keeping up with or wanting("needing") what somebody else has will be one of the most expensive and the most satisfying(and frustrating) things you will ever experience. I thought I had enough "toys" in my TT and would be happy with that. But some wise guy on FRF comes up with something new and we all have to have it!

Unless you are independently wealthy, don't try to go out and buy everything at once. You'll know what you have to have when you don't have it. Then, keep adding to your "want to haves" as you go along.

But above all, be safe and !!!!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote