Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
New Guy... what do I need?

Hey All... My wife and i just bought our first rv... a 2014 Stealth Toy Hauler (2116) but we need some advice. What are some of the things we need to buy... I really have no idea and I suspect the dealer is going to try and sell me everything on the planet when we pick it up on Monday. Thanks all!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app

ShooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Surge protector, extra water line, electrical line and sewer lines. Had the first but was short on the other 3 my first trip out. Welcome and have many fun years

JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Water filter and water pressure regulator, box of disposable gloves for sewer work, blue towels for grease work with the hitch, bag of levelers.

Get bumper end caps that secure somehow. I HAD two sewer hoses at camp on first trip, but only one made it home when a cap popped off. Hate to find THAT bouncing down the highway!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Brian and his Girl Crew
5 bikes - one top tube
Rig: 2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD + 2009 Salem 27' TT
b_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
Welcome!! what an adventure! you'll love it.

You've got a TT so you'll need a weight distributing / anti sway hitch (up to $800), toilet chemicals, pressure regulator if you're going to hook up to a water source, an in-line water filter is a good idea, clean water supply hose (white), black water supply hose (don't want to cross contaminate) jack and stabilizer pads (can be 2x6 boards), wheel chocks, and along with the sewer lines a 90 deg elbow and sewer connection. Take a good flashlight along with you and some beer.

If you're going to boondock (not hook up to a water, electric, or sewer ), you'll want to sanitize your fresh water tank before you go out. fill your water tank about 1/3 full, pour in 1 1/2 cups of chlorine bleach, then finish filling the tank until it overflows. Llet it sit that way overnight, then drain the tank, refill to overflowing and drain it again (rinse) then fill 'er up.

You can get a lot of the above items at most local Wal-Mart stores, they are usually in the automotive section (not in the camping section as you might expect).

Have fun and enjoy.
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2010 F250 Super Duty
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #5

A bottle of champagne...splash some across the bow to ensure good fortune and then enjoy the remaining bubbly with the wife....good luck. Have fun!

2012 Surveyor SP-240, Hobie Odyssey
Aspen 5.7L HEMI V8, Tekonsha P3
Blue Ox 1500 WDH with Sway Control
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
take a small 2ft carpenter's level with you. Open the door and set it on the floor. I don't rely on the small camper levels they sell.
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2010 F250 Super Duty
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
if your camper runs on 30amp i would also suggest a dongle to convert from 50 to 30. i have had several camp grounds that the 30 amp outlets are broken or dont work.
2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
A really good idea is to do a "camp driveway" type thing before you go out the first time. Stay overnight at the house, kick the tires, try everything out for real. It's easier to run back into the house if you forgot to pack something (and the first time there's ALWAYS something you forgot to bring) than when you're 100 miles or more away.
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. From what you have told me, and from my fast RVing experience (aka... none), here is what I have determined...

Must Haves:
Sewer Line and Accessories (Obviously)
Water Hose
Hose (other than drinking water)
Surge Protector
Electrical Line (Hopefully comes with TH)
Amp Converter
Wheel Chock
Stabilizer Pads

Should Haves:
Water Line Pressure Regulator
In Line Water Filter

I am sure I am forgetting all kinds of things. Feel free add more to this list.

Thanks all!!
ShooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Based on two threads here this morning (tornado in an RV park in VA)

I saw a short video of a young lady inside her RV, in total panic not understanding "what is going ON?" as golf ball sized hail fell, and then seeing a tree fall on an RV across from her.

We WILL be adding that to our equipment before we leave tomorrow. We have one here at home in our "emergency prep" equipment, but it's going IN OUR RV.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote