Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

New knee's or hip's?

I have been recovering at home for the past two weeks from hip replacement surgery on my left hip. While sitting here this morning I'm wondering how many other fellow campers have had a similar surgery and resumed their camping routine without any problems. Have you had to modify anything that you have previously done while camping? Anything you have found out that you can share with me? I chose to get mine replaced this time of year so that I can be back in camping shape by summer..I am looking forward to being able to enjoy the outdoors again.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

December 1991, had my total left knee replaced. It still works fine but I have always been careful not to kneel on it when crawling around the underside of the trailer during hook-up and breakdown. It is titanium, and it goes from the bottom of the thigh bone to the top of the shin bone. The best advice I was given by the doctors is never get on a ladder again, because if you have to jump off the ladder, you will drive that metal knee out the top of your leg. My ladder work is now done by my son-in-law.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Rad

Best wishes to you! I'm in the process of recovering from rotator cuff surgery -- it is a frustratingly long process! I'm also hoping to be at least in good enough shape for our trips this summer! They tell me it takes at least a year to be fully recovered!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

DW had knee replacement surgery last January. Although she went through a long recuperative period it was well worth it. She has no problem using the stairs in our 2 story home or in the 5er. She scheduled her surgery during the winter months also so it wouldn't interfere with the camping season.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

I had both knees done January 10th & 12th of 2012. It was the best thing I ever did. Doc said I would be driving in 2 weeks and was and also just walking with a cane. Physical therapy lasted 2 months but now I have no pain and can walk pain free. I am still trying to reteach my brain that I can walk down steps normally vs one at a time but it is slow as I had been doing that for about 15 years, so have to learn to trust them. Doc said not to ski but don't do that anyway am careful on a ladder and have learned not to jump off of anything higher than 6 inches. I have my life back.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

I appreciate the replies from all of you so far. I am encouraged by your responses and can't wait to resume my normal activities. Sounds like you all are doing great and enjoying your way of life again. Recovery time for me is 6 to 8 weeks. Good news is the pain I had in the hip is totally gone, just a little soreness around the incision area. I'm getting more movement back every day. Thanks again for replies and encouragement.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

though i've yet to have a knee replacement(but at 60, it's in my future), i have had 7 knee surgeries. one was a ACL reconstruction.
but i know many that have had replacements and the key for them and for me, was hitting the rehab hard.

most that return to a very active life, were very dedicated to pushing the rehab exercises hard and being able to push past the pain.

the ones i know that still have issues, were the type to stop if things started hurting and weren't dedicated to their rehab.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
PPST OGCDG

Back in Dec 2010 I had both Knees replaced on the same day. 4 days in hospital 10 days in Rehab Hospital and then 3 times a week for 5 weeks of rehab. I know my limits.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
Back in Dec 2010 I had both Knees replaced on the same day. 4 days in hospital 10 days in Rehab Hospital and then 3 times a week for 5 weeks of rehab. I know my limits.
I think that is the key, knowing your limits..Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Had my left knee replaced, best thing I did, no more pain. As others have said, hit the rehab hard. It hurts but no pain no gain. Today I'm back to playing golf, riding morcycles and doing all my hobbies. You learn to stay off the knee when getting down. Good luck Pal.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote