Old 08-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

New member with fridge problem.

Hi all, I have a small 2014 Viking T.T. with a model RM 2351 Dometic 2-Way. Problem is that the fridge will not cool on propane but freezer works fine. Both freezer and fridge are OK on shore power/ AC.

I have been reading the forum and have trouble shot the following:

-Rig is level.
-Cleaned the orifice and burner with alcohol per Dometic manual, removed the flue baffle and blew out flue. Burner does not sputter, stays lit with clean blue flame.
-Inspected the vent area, all is clear.
-Ck'd the thermistor position, OK located at top of fins.
-Ck'd the thermistor Ohms, OK @ 8,700.
-Bought a Camco circulation fan, no difference after 12 hours.

Any ideas about what is going on? I am trying to get away on annual vacation and really do not want to take to dealer who is a week out on appointments.

Also, the rig has only been used for about 3 weeks about a year ago and everything worked fine.

Help!

Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Head Rambler

If it works on AC power that means that there's nothing wrong with the absorption system.

Do you have plenty of propane? If so, you may need to check the pressure at the burner to make sure it's 11" WC.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

I don't understand when you say the freezer works on propane, there is only one system with these fridges. So if the freezer is working the fridge should be to.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

What ref do you have, we have a Norcold in the 5th wheel, that wasn't working right. It turned out to be a 15amp fuse..it takes gas or elect to power the ref, but controled by 12 volts
Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

sorry missed that you have a Dometic, but it could be setup the same

me bad
Old 08-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

Welcome to my world, sorry you are having problems but so glad to hear about it because we have exact same frig with the exact same problem. We just got ours back from a repair shop that kept telling me it could not be acting that way until I finally lead them by the hand and showed them. Freezer at 15 and frig at 57 on gas and if you travel with it the temps in the frig climb even higher.

After finally convincing them on what it is doing he called Dometic. I was in the office when he spoke to Dometic and got the operating spec for the RM2351. It is 15 or lower for the freezer and 43 or lower for the frig. He explained to them what it is doing and they suggested:

1. heat build up in the rear of the frig... I have 2 - 120mm fans that are rated at 103 cfm each and my custom baffles directing all the air so it is passing over the coils.

2. the baffle in the burner tube located wrong, spec is 1 1/2" above the flame. Near as I can tell it is correct.

3. defective weld between the boiler and the burner tube. I pulled the frig and checked and the weld is solid.

I am going to get an IR thermometer so I can check the boiler temps when running on AC and compare them to the temps on propane. I do not know nor can find what the spec is for the boiler temp but I feel like that is where the issue is located.

Oh, the shop fused to do the work because Dometic was only going to pay them for a 1/2 hour labor pull the frig to check it out. That is why I ended up removing and checked everything myself. Customer service, yeah, right...
Old 08-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Think I solved the problem!

Hi there, looks like the problem was the gas pressure/ gas burner temp. After all the things I had tested and inspected I realized that I had recently installed a "scripto" gas pressure gauge on my propane tank. This is the kind that just screws on to the tank and then the gas line screws on to it. Well it must restrict the gas pressure because I removed it and now the fridge is about 38 degrees 12 hours later, freezer good as well. Whew, I was not wanting to have to take it to the dealer!

Thanks to all for your input, I hope Ky-N can get theirs sorted out, it could very well be the burner temp that is their problem as well.

If my problem returns I will update this post.

Thanks again, Mr Natural, on my way to Colorado!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Glad you figured it out and appreciate you coming back and letting us know what you found and what the fix was.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #9

Glad you figured out your problem, wish ours was as easy. I have been suspecting it having something to do with the boiler temps and did some testing today, electric it gets up to 225-230 degrees and on gas it is 266-280 degrees but there is no way to adjust the gas other than change the orifice.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #10

Smile Fridge problem

I was dismayed when I bought a new 5er with a 9 cu ft fridge for boondocking only to find out that I had to use elect above 5500. I usually boondock at 9,300. Went on vacation and over a pass at 9,600 and fridge never skipped a beat. My wife complained that she could not use a top burner on the stove at the same time as the oven. Seems that I have a propane gauge on the bottle running the fridge and stove. It appears that the gauge is reducing the propane pressure enough to keep the propane/air mixture from being to ritch to run my fridge. My wife says she can put up with being only able to run only burners or oven and have a good fridge. Going to take off gauge tomorrow and see what happens.

Silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge