Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

New rules in Federal Campgrounds

We just returned from a one month trip visiting Federal Lands/Parks in Michigan. Came across a new rule posted on the campground kiosk. The rule states that you may only stay 14 days in any one 30 day period in ANY federal campground. We actually drove to the park headquarters to get the readout on it ( I talked to the camp hosts that were not clear on the rule ) and indeed the ranger stated that you cannot camp again in a federal park until you pass that 30 day period. In other words at the end of 14 days we can't just move to another campground in same federal park, nor can we move to another federal park. He did state that if we moved to another federal park ( we were at Huron National Forest ) that he didn't believe that another ranger at another national park or forest would even know if were there or boot us out . So we took the chance and moved to the Manistee National Forest. The ranger stated it was because people were homesteading instead of camping and therefore no one else could get into some campgrounds.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

It may be worded that way but I have yet to see it enforced. They do enforce the 14 day rule around here, but not if you move to a different park (not different spot in the same park)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I am sure that is to keep squatters from setting up permanent house keeping there. There are always those who ruin everything.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

This has been a COE campground rule as long as I've been aware of COE campgrounds.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Have seen the same rule posted at the camp grounds in NH.

Just basically to keep squatters out. Have asked the camp hosts and seems as though you can move from one camp ground to another farther down the road. Just as long as you don't stay in your original space/camp ground.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Been full timing it for eight years now, extensively using Army Corps of Engineer parks (state to state). I am aware of the 14 day per 30 day but never heard it applies to "All Federal Parks). Our most visited parks are all within the same district, all have gone to the 99% reserved sites (I don't like that either). All use the same software, which I believe would be the notified for max stays (I haven't bee notified yet). As far as the homesteading at parks, wouldn't you have to stay in the same location to be determined that? If I travel out of state but still within the same district (Rock Island district covers half of Iowa and half of Illinois) of the CORE park system, how could I homestead?

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Additionally, if you have a senior pass and your significant other has a senior and you reserve the same spot each for 14 days, then reserve another spot within the same park for another 14 days each, then are you still homesteading. Ponder this on the tree of woe...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
Scoundrel

There are many places around Crested Butte, CO where dispersed camping is totally prohibited. Too many homeless camps caused USFS to enact this rule.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

State Parks and County Parks are the same way - 14 days then 30 out. At the County Park that we stay in Florida, your long term site is only for 5 months, no more. But some sites are for 14 days only, then 30 out. Some one tried that husband name then wife name thing. They are now "red marked" on the computer, can never come back in again.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Additionally, if you have a senior pass and your significant other has a senior and you reserve the same spot each for 14 days, then reserve another spot within the same park for another 14 days each, then are you still homesteading. Ponder this on the tree of woe...
We have considered doing a 14 day stint in one park under different cards, but have not done so. Some parks are so darn busy, they have to have some rules about the length of stay. I can't stand going to Yellowstone anymore, wall to wall people doing stupid things like feeding the wildlife. We now visit less visited parks and Federal lands that allows camping.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

We have friends who stay at the local COE's for the allotted 28 day increments, and then have to move to another site thereafter. They have been doing this for many years. I am not sure if they have to register twice ( per every 14 days ) or not. I just know they stay 28 days and then have to move.

In our area, Southern Illinois, the COE Rules are as follows.

*General Rules for use of Federal Recreation Lands.

Camping

Camping longer than 14 consecutive days is generally not allowed. At Corps of Engineers campsites only, camping at one or more campsites at any one water resource project (lake) for a period longer than 14 days during any 30-consecutive day period is prohibited.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #12

I wish state parks would do this also but register the trailer license. We have state parks in Ohio that have lake front and full hook ups. They are always reserved. There is a 14 day limit but the same trailer never moves the entire season. Makes me wonder if they just reserve it under someone else's name every 14 days on the first of January for the entire season. Maybe I have to learn to be faster on making reservations on January 1!!! I just would like to be able to stay a week in that spot.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #13

It is really a problem. Instead of names being registered, register the rig/rigs. License plates are more realistic. People can change names, but not the registered vehicle.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

My understanding and I am dealing with it for the previous 6 months. As long as you leave the CG and do not return within that period your ok. Now you can stay in the same region on another CG and bounce back. As I try and save money to put a down payment on my small home in the future I stay solely on Corp CG. Now this is an option my friend who is a ranger told me about. If you are a full time traveler have your spouse or similar make the reservation. As I have two different locations for addresses I also have two bank accounts. My Name is Anthony and I have always bee called Tony. So I stay as long as I wish , two different Rec.gov accounts for making reservations.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #15

Last year while camping at Rend Lake ( a COE) in Southern Illinois we talked to the host who said that they had a specific area for the 28 day folks towards the center of the campground and those folks could move between that site and another 28 day site at the opposite side of the lake but not between the 14 day ones. The 28 day sites I believe only had electric. I was just surprised this time because we want to visit the smaller less crowded federal lands and hated to leave the area and go to a state park or a private rv park for the remaining 16 days. As tree lady said I, too, have seen folks take up the nice sites much longer than than the rules allow for. We were at Wayne State Forest in Ohio last fall and the Ohio River view sites were apparently held like gold by a few locals that somehow skirted the rule. The host said they had no way to enforce it only the rangers could do that and they were never around. Oh well! I will look into the COEs... maybe that is a good solution. Sometime in the near future we would like to be full-timing and we are still figuring this out.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Dahagen

Katydid...the wording you used "The rule states that you may only stay 14 days in any one 30 day period in ANY federal campground" means ANY (one) campground, not ALL of them. At least here in the Western US you can move to another campground every 14 days. And if the campground you are in is not full, you can usually just change sites. Anyway....how would the FS, BOR, BLM, etc know if you were in a federal campsite last week.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Have seen the same rule posted at the camp grounds in NH.

Just basically to keep squatters out. Have asked the camp hosts and seems as though you can move from one camp ground to another farther down the road. Just as long as you don't stay in your original space/camp ground.
I have found that to be the rule State local and federal land. Only exception I have seen is long term BLM. Like around Quartzsite AZ. And of course higher priced private parks where you are a tenant under rules similar to hotel and motel eviction procedures
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Katydid...the wording you used "The rule states that you may only stay 14 days in any one 30 day period in ANY federal campground" means ANY (one) campground, not ALL of them. At least here in the Western US you can move to another campground every 14 days. And if the campground you are in is not full, you can usually just change sites. Anyway....how would the FS, BOR, BLM, etc know if you were in a federal campsite last week.

You register by name and usually veh license but as a practical matter I don't think they check as long as you are not in one camp over 14 days. We could push it since dw and I have separate Federal America the Beautiful passes but have never tried.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #19

I suspect the 14 day rule was made because some abused the system which made it difficult for everyone to enjoy the Parks. As TreeLady said it is difficult to get premium sites unless you pull the trigger on reservations at the very first opportunity. As many have said in this thread, you'll see the same rigs in premium sites throughout the season.

We full timed for 7 years, but now we go for a couple of weeks every few months and find it very difficult to reserve a premium site. Maybe because some are always figuring ways to get around the rules.
ChillinOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillinOut View Post
I suspect the 14 day rule was made because some abused the system which made it difficult for everyone to enjoy the Parks. As TreeLady said it is difficult to get premium sites unless you pull the trigger on reservations at the very first opportunity. As many have said in this thread, you'll see the same rigs in premium sites throughout the season.

We full timed for 7 years, but now we go for a couple of weeks every few months and find it very difficult to reserve a premium site. Maybe because some are always figuring ways to get around the rules.
Exactly! As proof, just read the previous posts with everybody posting methods to beat the rule!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg