Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #21

I am a super nube to owning a camper. After 30+ years of sleeping on the ground the DW and I took the plunge. Before we did I scoured the web for information about....well everything. We found the camper at a show and fell in love with it. The next day after reviewing this forum we ordered it. For three months we've been lurking on this site and have learned a world of information that we would never of thought of. Personally I like to learn things from people who have been there done that and know what to do to remedy the situation. Trail and error is a hard way to learn. These folks on this site have 100s of years worth of knowledge that has saved so many headaches and probably millions of dollars. And I for one want to thank you all for your help, even if you don't know you had. If you posted advice or even a "ahh yes I've had that happen to me and......". I thank you all. You have been a great help.

Steelframer. New to RVing. New owner of a Cherokee 274dbh.
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelframer View Post

Steelframer. New to RVing. New owner of a Cherokee 274dbh.
Welcome to the forums Steelframer and congrats on the Cherokee! That's a nice looking TT you have there
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post

Rather that ask on a forum for the answer why don't they ask someone at the dealership where they just purchased . . .

Wow. You put a lot of thought into that question. The answer is fairly simple.
First of all, just because a dealer sells a unit doesn't mean they know all about it. They sell many brands. As you read this forum you'll see instances where a dealership obviously gave incorrect information that was cleared up on this forum. The forum consist of tire experts, mechanics, engineers, plumbers, electricians, a/c pros, etc. How can a salesperson or general RV tech compete with those resources?
Secondly. We all like second opinions. Some ask just to confirm what they already think.
Thirdly. Dealerships aren't open or available at 2AM on a Sunday when your heat stops working on a 35° night. The forum resources are 24/7.
Lastly. Many of us just like to talk about our trailers, motorhomes and tow vehicles. Its a great bunch of people here.
Give em a try. And welcome to our campfire.

BTW, you could have asked this question to a psychologist instead of on this forum. Lol. Humor.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #24

By the time I went to my dealer to buy my trailer, I knew it better than they did. Not every dealer is a good source of information. There were even a couple times they misrepresented certain specs and I had to correct them. It gets even worse when you go to buy a tow vehicle. Nobody knows specs. They just know it's a vehicle they sell, and if they sell it they get paid.

Community discussions are often more responsive and provide info far beyond the original questions. 100 opinions always provide more info than just one.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
By the time I went to my dealer to buy my trailer, I knew it better than they did. Not every dealer is a good source of information. There were even a couple times they misrepresented certain specs and I had to correct them. It gets even worse when you go to buy a tow vehicle. Nobody knows specs. They just know it's a vehicle they sell, and if they sell it they get paid.

Community discussions are often more responsive and provide info far beyond the original questions. 100 opinions always provide more info than just one.
Here is an example of what the dealer told me:

- To winterize, just flip this one valve = The WH bypass in our coach is fitted with the two valve bypass

- You'll get 14 MPGs = Really?

- Do not be plugged into shore power and fire up the genset or you'll fry everything inside = Our coach has an auto transfer switch

- Did not show me how to run the refrigerator on batteries = It was in this forum that someone told me there is a remote switch for the inverter...come to find out my entire inverter was never installed

- When we fired up the AC units there was this strange flutter coming from the vents and he said that's how it was = There was a piece of lose material from the insulation.

I rather have 1 our of 10 people in this forum tell me the wrong information vs. that one guy at the dealer.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #26

^^LOL. I'm surprised that's all they told you that was incorrect.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #27

Booboo!!! C'mon man!! People come here to get insight from experience not someone getting a percentage of a sale!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ScottC. is offline   Reply With Quote