Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

New sabre 36QBOK heat and air.

Ok, New camper (picked it up Saturday) and working on things that don't work the way I think they should. First is A/C air flow to vents.. Not much of it. I pulled the cover off of the main unit and found that the duct work was not connected properly from the factory. I will be patching some holes in the taping of the unit to stop air from being pulled from the attic space. I have attached some pics. I am not happy with the furnace duct work either so I will be looking at options. Has anyone made any changes to the furnace ductwork?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	68402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	68403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1916.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	68404  
TheOrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Always Learning

Sadly, seems common. I asked that my ducts get looked at for the same reason- low airflow in the bunkhouse.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Not the furnace ducts, ours work great! On the ac vents, our 36 seems to leak air into the attic area. Found that out when i was removing one of the attic vents last summer. Our Sabre has been at the dealer since just before thanksgiving, and they are suppose to check the ac duct work to see if its all sealed or to seal it better.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My sabre was missing the plenum for the a/c .
It also had incorrect ductwork for the main bedroom.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrrs View Post
Ok, New camper (picked it up Saturday) and working on things that don't work the way I think they should. First is A/C air flow to vents.. Not much of it. I pulled the cover off of the main unit and found that the duct work was not connected properly from the factory. I will be patching some holes in the taping of the unit to stop air from being pulled from the attic space. I have attached some pics. I am not happy with the furnace duct work either so I will be looking at options. Has anyone made any changes to the furnace ductwork?
I thought mine was bad when p/u new had to take 3ft out of one heat tube that caused loss of flow now 2yrs later thermostat (dometic) 10 button won't work on heat unless you turn it off and then turn back on at 145 each i'm goin to sell the trl. and get another one.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Exclamation Heat and Air

Seems most of us have these issues with faulty duct work (perhaps many more do not realize they have shoddy duct work) On the assembly lines the units are visible during assembly so why is it we have to quality control the products? It would be so easy on the assembly line to ensure the seams are taped and no holes are left unsealed. This type of repair is so basic, it concerns me on what issues ( safety in nature) are passed over.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post
Seems most of us have these issues with faulty duct work (perhaps many more do not realize they have shoddy duct work) On the assembly lines the units are visible during assembly so why is it we have to quality control the products? It would be so easy on the assembly line to ensure the seams are taped and no holes are left unsealed. This type of repair is so basic, it concerns me on what issues ( safety in nature) are passed over.
There are lots of threads here on FRF concerning RV quality control. I doubt we need to rehash it here.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1243 View Post
I thought mine was bad when p/u new had to take 3ft out of one heat tube that caused loss of flow now 2yrs later thermostat (dometic) 10 button won't work on heat unless you turn it off and then turn back on at 145 each i'm goin to sell the trl. and get another one.
Several people have replaced the factory stats with home units the only thing they needed to do was to add a switch for the two speed fan. might be an option unless you just want a new camper.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe this is why my living area has trouble staying cool in the summer.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Maybe this is why my living area has trouble staying cool in the summer.
Could be also look at the front side to see if the intake is open to the attic area. if so it will pull hot humid air from the attic. Mine is open to the attic around the wiring for the unit. easy fix.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Look at what front side...... I really know nothing about heating/air. We have 2 ACs
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #12

Sure thing. so the front of the A/C unit inside the camper is the intake. that is the side with the filter. remove the cover and the foam filer and take a look inside. you will see the wiring and if you can see in the attic space (see insulation) than the A/C can pull air from that area. You have to remove the six screws that hold the plastic cover for the unit to get to the back side where the duct work is.
Was your front A/C factory or dealer installed?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #13

ependydad you are correct on the postings. My point reflects on my observations on the assembly lines. Sloppy workmanship has become an accepted norm. Routine maintenance is required for any product but we as customers of new products should not have to complete a project we paid someone to do during construction.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sure thing. so the front of the A/C unit inside the camper is the intake. that is the side with the filter. remove the cover and the foam filer and take a look inside. you will see the wiring and if you can see in the attic space (see insulation) than the A/C can pull air from that area. You have to remove the six screws that hold the plastic cover for the unit to get to the back side where the duct work is.
Was your front A/C factory or dealer installed?

Factory installed. The front AC (13 btu) is very loud so while it was at the factory we had them check that. They said the loudness is normal. Apparently it pipes directly down and only blows through the one vent or something like that. The rear AC is 15 btu and ran constantly in the heat but could barely keep things cool. We also had an issue with the top shelf in the pantry getting hot when that slide sits in the sun. This trailer is supposed to have the upgraded insulation. The other thing we questioned was having rust stains on the roof from the a.c. on a brand new trailer. The factory states this is also normal. Wonder if I need to get this all looked at while I'm at the factory rally in August?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Factory installed. The front AC (13 btu) is very loud so while it was at the factory we had them check that. They said the loudness is normal. Apparently it pipes directly down and only blows through the one vent or something like that. The rear AC is 15 btu and ran constantly in the heat but could barely keep things cool. We also had an issue with the top shelf in the pantry getting hot when that slide sits in the sun. This trailer is supposed to have the upgraded insulation. The other thing we questioned was having rust stains on the roof from the a.c. on a brand new trailer. The factory states this is also normal. Wonder if I need to get this all looked at while I'm at the factory rally in August?
Yep
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Our front A/C can be ducted in with the other. It was a dealer install and a poor one at that. They did not seal off the attic and they did not open the duct work.
I will be fixing this with the main unit issues this weekend.
I would pull the cover off the front and see if you have taped over duct work.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
I would pull the cover off the front and see if you have taped over duct work.
I think an easy/no work way would be to turn the front A/C fan on and then go feel for air in the bathroom.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We're camping this weekend so I will have to get dh to look into this either if he gets bored (yeah right) or after we get back.

Tags
sabre