Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

New Tires

So I succumbed to the fear factor and changed out my nearly new Castle Rock tires for new Goodyear Endurance . I feel better about having a higher quality tire on the road for my upcoming 2,000 mile round trip to Moab, but what does bother me a bit is the tread depth of the new Goodyear’s. They look like they’re half worn out right off the shelf with only 8/32” tread new. The Castle Rocks had probably 1200 miles on them and still had a full 10/32”. Feels like I’ll be buying more Goodyear’s before too long!
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoin721 View Post
So I succumbed to the fear factor and changed out my nearly new Castle Rock tires for new Goodyear Endurance . I feel better about having a higher quality tire on the road for my upcoming 2,000 mile round trip to Moab, but what does bother me a bit is the tread depth of the new Goodyear’s. They look like they’re half worn out right off the shelf with only 8/32” tread new. The Castle Rocks had probably 1200 miles on them and still had a full 10/32”. Feels like I’ll be buying more Goodyear’s before too long!
Good for you. I changed out a fairly new set of st tires and sold the for $50 each to a guy for his atv trailer. That made my new ones $200 less. Best of luck to you.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer tires hardly ever wear out..they age out.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

How far you plan to go that you would worry about tread depth on a trailer tire?
We put 5000 miles on ours this winter and the tires have about 25,000 on them now. Lots of tread left yet. I don't see to many worn out trailer tires that are evenly worn and not caused by bad axles or bearings.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

Not sure how many miles a trailer tire is typically good for, but the Goodyear’s sure don’t look like they start off with a lot of tread depth! Guess we’ll find out soon enough! I’m just hoping they hold together until it’s time to replace them due to tread not disintegration! 👍
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoin721 View Post
Not sure how many miles a trailer tire is typically good for, but the Goodyear’s sure don’t look like they start off with a lot of tread depth! Guess we’ll find out soon enough! I’m just hoping they hold together until it’s time to replace them due to tread not disintegration! 👍
Surprisingly enough greater tread depth does not always equal more miles. The deeper the tread the more "squirm" possible within the tread and it's not unusual for the first few "32nds" to wear quicker than the remaining tread depth. Example, take a look at a brand new pencil eraser. Slide it back and forth on a piece of paper and watch it flex. Also look at the amount of rubber that gets rubbed off when new and full length versus half worn.

Tread compound is what matters when evaluating wear, not tread depth.

Tread depth IS important when it comes to wet pavement traction which is why there is a minimum tread depth established by regulation. Don't judge a trailer tires quality by tread depth alone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires