Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #11

Only one thing I'll point out...

If your vehicle is setup with a relay on the 12V feed wire going to the trailer, you won't run your battery down on the TV by leaving the TT hooked up. The relay disconnects the 12V feed line when the vehicle is off. This should be the case on any vehicle that came with a factory tow setup.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlee453 View Post
Most TT work like this:

Water heater: Either it's propane only (with or without electric auto-light, depending on model, OR some have 110/propane where it will default to 110 when available to save your propane.
Great wright up arlee, that took some time...

My hot water heater has two switches, one inside the TT for propane and one outside under the hot water access panel for 110. I think most RV's are like this. It will not default to 110, in fact I can run both propane and 110 for faster recovery. Hardly ever need to though.

2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #13

Thanks Arlee

Thanks if that was done any other way I'd owe you for ink, Thats great INFO. We have'nt even bought the the Toy Hauler yet. Going to the RV show on Oct 12-20 at pamona ca. before we purchase, just to make sure nothing has changed much.-----So then with a Generator things would work the same as plugged into shore power & then your GEN. is your inverter ?. I have solar panels, A wind genny, solar controllers & a 5K inverter on the house. I'll make something Mobile to take on the road, buy two more batteries and add a switch so T.V. does'nt connect to all 3 battery's . Before I broke my neck I was a good Mechanic, still have a brain but work very slowly, just did'nt know how trailers were set up.. Thanks Again RICK
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickptb View Post
So then with a Generator things would work the same as plugged into shore power & then your GEN. is your inverter ?.
no, a inverter is a separate thing. what you're getting confused with is that there are inverter generators and non-inverter generators.
when you plug into a generator, inverter or not, it basically is the same as having shore power, it's just coming from the generator.
an inverter generator uses an inverter to control the speed of the generator's motor. if the load is light, the inverter tells the motor to idle, if the demand is high, it tells it to rev up.
a non-inverter generator runs at full revs all the time, low or high demand, it doesn't make a difference.
that's one reason inverter generators can be quieter.

for most RV's, you have to add an inverter to plug in things to run them off the battery. things like a tv, dvd, charging phones and so on. it will invert the 12v DC power from the battery, to 110v AC for things that run off of that. but it's limited to the number and power the battery/batteries have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

Arlee453 I'm a newbie to the RV scene as well as this forum but that was such an excellent overview I will save this page as one of my favorites just to come back to as a refresher. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Most TT work like this:

You have both 12V and 110 AC power. There is an inverter/control panel that controls the various elements in the camper........
I think that's the basics.

That was great!! Could have been titled Prerequisite to RV 101. I read it completely to DH!!! So glad I am part of this forum!!And better yet..... so glad YOU decided to purchase a FR and be part of this forum Arlee!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Most TT work like this:
You have both 12V and 110 AC power...<snip>...I think that's the basics.
I think this deserves a "sticky".

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #18

That was the best write-up I have seen of how RV systems operate. I hope you won't mind if I use this some day(giving you credit of course).
Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #19

Glad I joined

We went to A few RV sale places to look around, but when I asked questions they just say stuff they think they know, I worked on RV's only for four yrs. but only on engines, wheels & brakes and alignments. I've never been on the Rv-er Camping side of the picture. I told my wife lets just go home & join a RV FORUM. Ha Ha they have the most knowledge their living it. Thanks Again Rick
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
X2
Turbo - I believe you have met your match here.