Old 03-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

New to RV's - need help to decide.

Hi Folks,

So we have decided to take the plunge into the RV lifestyle. We are going to be taking early retirement Spring next year and plan to spend time touring Canada and the US.

We have been doing a lot of research into what we want and have pretty much settled on a Travel Trailer.

What I am looking for is advice on 2 models that appear to be identical. I am wondering if there is in fact any difference between them.

The 2 we have in mind are the Salem Heritage 302FK and the Heritage Glen 302FK.

Any thoughts from the community would be very welcome.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Welcome to the forum Lots of folks here to give you the answers you are looking for. Enjoy which ever you choose Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladivar View Post
Hi Folks,

So we have decided to take the plunge into the RV lifestyle. We are going to be taking early retirement Spring next year and plan to spend time touring Canada and the US.

We have been doing a lot of research into what we want and have pretty much settled on a Travel Trailer.

What I am looking for is advice on 2 models that appear to be identical. I am wondering if there is in fact any difference between them.

The 2 we have in mind are the Salem Heritage 302FK and the Heritage Glen 302FK.

Any thoughts from the community would be very welcome.

Welcome to the forum and yes you are correct those two trailers are in fact identical.

So the deciding factor is which can you get for cheaper or what may be more important is which dealership has the better customer service.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Appears they are identical except for name which allows different dealers to carry different brand names of FR products...
Difference in 302fk and 302fk?
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Usually FR RVs that are the same yet a different name. The name will tell you where the RV was made. I think that is correct.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your rig. Be very careful choosing a dealer. Unfortunately, it seems that most dealers do not provide much service once you sign the papers. If you can find one with a good service reputation, you will avoid much frustration.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Welcome to the FRF!
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #8

Hello, for choice in RVs are you planning to just travel? Long time live in it? Full time live in it? Have you experienced any travel in an RV before so you know what to basically expect?
I know a lot of questions but I personally have known a couple that, although never even traveling in an RV, went whole hog and bought all they could afford, then first long trip they hated it!
I love RV travel and the lifestyle but we've been traveling for many years starting with motorcycles pulling tent trailers to our first real 'RV' a used class C. Then to travel trailer, then 5th wheel, then travel trailer again in 2015. Now thinking about maybe a 5th wheel again because the DW thinks we should try a year of full time RV life! We'll see about that but whatever you decide good luck and enjoy it!!
Old 03-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Know What YOU Want

Since you know what you would like - try to get to the nearest RV Show, find at least 3 dealers with what you like and get their best quote. DON'T let the dealer give ambiguous figures. 1. Get the MSRP, dealer discount should be at least 10%, add extras like slide topper(s), vent covers add those for a sub total. 2. Subtract your deposit, trade in or you can pay to reduce amount financed - subtract from the above. 3. Now add dealer prep (usually a non item), state/county tax, tire deposit, title and dealer documentation fee. Add 2 and 3, that's what you owe. These are hard $, don't let the dealer start talking about financing! You're the one who is in control! I got 3 quotes, there was over $10,000.00 between the high and low on the very same TT.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

That unit will require a three quarter to one ton truck to pull it. That's a lot of trailer for a first time RV'er. Get some experience backing a unit this size. MY 32 ft trailer was a chore to get in and out of places. Just traded it on a 32 ft Motorhome and will haul a Scooter on the back. Watch the movie Long, long trailer with Lucille Ball.