Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

New to snowboarding, questions, logistics, etc.

DW and I will attempt our first snowbird event in January 2016 somewhere in FL (still looking for a cg).

How does one handle mail forwarding, especially when your new address is unknown? Family member?

There are some monthly bills that can't be handled electronically, how does one take care of those situations.

Any advice for newbie snowbirds? Plans are to spend first quarter of 2016 down south and then come back to our seasonal cg in Cincinnati. TIA for help and advice.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Revised title - Should be new to snowbirding.

DW and I will attempt our first snowbird event in January 2016 somewhere in FL (still looking for a cg).

How does one handle mail forwarding, especially when your new address is unknown? Family member?

There are some monthly bills that can't be handled electronically, how does one take care of those situations.

Any advice for newbie snowbirds? Plans are to spend first quarter of 2016 down south and then come back to our seasonal cg in Cincinnati. TIA for help and advice.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
If you can trust them to handle it in a timely manner.

Quote:
If it the same amount month to month one could pay in advance or simply mail a check with the account number on it at the correct time.

A short note on a post-it?

Quote:
Best advice is to enjoy and have fun!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

For differing amounts like power or water, I give them a call at the appropriate time to see what's due, then pay online as usual.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post

There are mail forwarding services. You use their address as a clearing house. You can arrange for them to open specified mail, they will scan and email the contents directly and you'll have in short order. Good Sam Mail is one. See if it can help you.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

We forward our mail to a family member who notifies us by phone or email for bills we don't get electronically. As there is lag time until they receive it we daily check the prior months bill paying to make sure no due dates are forgotten or overlooked. We try to pay everything 10 days prior to due date from our bank account on line.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We had our mail forwarded to our daughter with our signed check book. She would open them up, then call us or email us with the bill. We would then have her pay what bills were due. Once a month she would FedEx all the mail to our campground.
If your staying long term somewhere you can go online and have the post office forward your mail there. Last year we had our own mailbox w/ box # at our resort. The trick was to stop the mail early enough because there is a week delay to get it.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Great suggestions

Had an epiphany over the weekend. We had nothing scheduled in Nov and Dec so will probably leave our seasonal CG Nov. 1 and head south for 5 weeks, drive home for Christmas and drive back to FL after the 1st of the year.

Local USPS will hold mail for our initial stay in FL, we can pick up early Dec and hold again in Jan. Have 2 daughters locally who could pickup and forward mail or have USPS forward when we establish a temporary mailing address in FL for Jan. through April.

Have established on-line bill pay with all except electric and mortgage but currently working on setting those up.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

I liked your first title better
some mail will not forward without notifying sender ie bank and credit card stuff
post office will hold mail for 30 days then return to sender
a po box will hold until expiration of box ,if you have auto pay it will hold indefinitely
for 17bux a moth the po will forward your po box mail to a prearranged address (I think that's what the clerk told me)
now back to snowboarding in fl. I think if I were to attempt it that's where i'd try I HATE SNOW
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snowbird