Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #21

A set of spare fuses and light bulbs/lcds for coach and running lights.
A gps or APP that has specific RV settings and POI's.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
deartruc, that's just cool..........wish I knew what the heck it is!!!

Oh, I right clicked and realize it's a coffee machine. IF I listen to Humteddy, I'll need that! But I like my 'yuppie coffee' via the Keurig. I like all them foo foo flavored coffees!

Read some info on the Goshen Rally about unlevel pad areas and how folks wished they'd hade more chocks or stuff........and the X chocks has been on my list because of a thread a few months ago, and I thought they looked useful. I probably would not get them right off, just something on my possibles list, if needed.

I'm sorta tickled with myself! ha. There isn't a long list of "Hey, dufus, you forgot X and Y and Z".......like there was when we got the first trailer!

Maybe I'm actually learning a little bit.

Nah, unlikely!
OK; I am on my third 5er and the first one with the LCI 6-point auto leveling system.
With my other two 5er's I did need the X-chocks to eliminate rocking of the 5er when parked. The front two power stabilizers and the two manual stabilizers were not enough to prevent motion when walking. Now with the 6-point LCI auto system the x-chocks they redundant.

First you need to lower the front legs and support them with some type of blocking depending on ground type; IE dirt/gravel or concrete. Next step is to place some type of wheel chocks to prevent roll back when you un-hitch. You than un-hitch and drive away the next step is to hit the auto level and let the trailer level itself placing support pads under all legs. When the trailer is auto leveling the wheels on the trailer will move a little, this is natural thing that happens. Now when the trailer is level on dirt/gravel one set of tires could be off the ground when you are on dirt/gravel. The X-chocks will not help. I have a set in my basement at my stick house collecting dust know.

As far as the extension cord for a 50 AMP system it is a waste of money. Why my DW checks to see that the trailer power cord will reach the pedestal before we un-hitch. The trailer can be reposition to make sure the standard power cord will reach.

What you also need is a multimeter and know how to use this before connecting to the power pedestal. With a cheap circuit tester included in your tool kit. I also carry a box of vinyl disposable gloves when working around the waste system.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #23

A surge protector is a wise investment. So is a water pressure regulator. Better safe than sorry.

Humteddy2

2014 Silverado LTZ 1500
2016 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #24

Surge protector was #1 on the list.

I have good hoses and regulator. And filter.

and good info, Jim. Thanks. X chocks are last on list, and a probable no.....

vinyl gloves is also already a staple on our list. Good idea, though.

Another thing I already have is a very long handled broom..........forgot that one.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #25
MCTroy

All this fancy stuff. Don't forget a bottle opener. I carry two and at least one still has the pointed end to open cans. Hopefully I can find at least one of them when needed. Not all beer is twist off you know..
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #26
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
All this fancy stuff. Don't forget a bottle opener. I carry two and at least one still has the pointed end to open cans. Hopefully I can find at least one of them when needed. Not all beer is twist off you know..
Car door hinge works for caps!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #27

Any good southern boy knows how to open a non-twist beer bottle cap on the side of a desk, a bumper, a bumper hitch, or any such firm flat piece!!! Sharp rap! Pop! Cap gone.

That said, the old timey bottle openers are found on the side of almost any garage! No clue why they aren't on the side of these new fangled trailers. They should be.

https://www.bottleopener.com/open-bo...le-opener.html
Old 03-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Car door hinge works for caps!
Seat belt end works too...
Old 03-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #29

Hopefully, the welcome kit does contain some of these items (including the FR logo spatula with bottle opener).

PS..Nothing like programming that under cabinet coffee maker to kickoff before you wake. (That smell of coffee throughout the camper at dawn...priceless)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Never used additional chocks with x-chocks. After six years with them, haven't encountered the need.
Same here.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Feel free to add to this list. About to order a new 5'er. I have some stuff from the old TT, but here is the list of "new" stuff I figure I'll have to buy:

-Progressive 50amp surge protector (fixed or portable, still undecided)
-Tire monitoring system (sure hope I can figure out how to program it)
-X chocks for wheels
-blocks for wheels (or equivalent 'pull up on' for wheels to level side to side)
-50 amp extension cord
-Dogbone adapter
-leveling pads for Lippert auto leveling system

already have extra water hoses, connectors, extra sewer pipe, scissor jacks, and a ladder....and normal stuff like brooms and such.

What am I gonna HAVE to have other than that?
This sounds like a 50 amp system. What "dogbone" adapter would you need? I also doubt if you will need an extension cord.

Lego leveling pads are nice but a 1X8 8 foot long cut into 12 inch pieces will do the same a lot cheaper.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #32

I have a 25' standard 50amp cord that came with my unit and I use my 25' 50amp extension cord quite often . I need it at my seasonal site due to configuration as well as at a fair grounds I go to an event to every year. You never know if you will need it until you need it.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #33

Great info, thanks guys.

I have a 25' 30 AMP extension cord. I'd think if I got one 50-to-30 dogbone and that 30 amp extension cord, I could at least have most power anywhere. If I need a 50 amp extension later, I can get it.

This is not a list of stuff I WILL buy tomorrow.........just picking y'all's brains on what might be needed.........cause I've learned a TON of stuff here I haven't thought of.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Great info, thanks guys.

I have a 25' 30 AMP extension cord. I'd think if I got one 50-to-30 dogbone and that 30 amp extension cord, I could at least have most power anywhere. If I need a 50 amp extension later, I can get it.

This is not a list of stuff I WILL buy tomorrow.........just picking y'all's brains on what might be needed.........cause I've learned a TON of stuff here I haven't thought of.
I don't recall you mentioning if you do any cold weather camping. If you do one or two electric heaters would be a good investment. I also keep a short heat tape available. This is used to wrap my sewer valve, gray mainly, to keep it from freezing.

Another thought. Plan on using any CG that do not have electric? A small inverter comes in handy. I use a 1000 watt full sign wave inverter for my television (may not be needed), charging batteries such as my cell phone, camera batteries and lap top. It comes in handy when I stop at a road side rest over night. I try to get full service unless it is a quick overnight stop.

Another thought, a spare 20 pound propane tank. I use mine for my outside stove or grill but it could be hooked up if my 30 pounders were to go empty.

A 5 gallon collapsible water jug,

Reliance Fold-A-Carrier 20L Water Carrier | DICK'S Sporting Goods

and a light weight table, under 5 pounds, also comes in handy at times,

GCI Outdoor Compact Camp Table | DICK'S Sporting Goods

A lot depends on the type of camping you plan on doing. These things come in handy for the one night quick stop such as at a road side rest or a night a Walmart. I will be going to S. C. in a couple of months and these will come in handy at one of my stops on the way down. Total cost, not counting the inverter, less than spending a night at a CG.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Never used additional chocks with x-chocks. After six years with them, haven't encountered the need.
My X-Chocks come with a warning not to use them as chocks.

The other warning on X-Chocks was not to operate the jacks while they are installed. I can't find that warning now but if you follow the steps of installing them you see that you remove them prior to using any jacks to hook up your RV and you don't install them till you have the RV level. The link below is the steps to install X-Chocks. They also state to use wedge type clocks prior to installing the X-Chocks.

I had them loosen up when installing them on hot tires after towing.

Also the X-Chocks says check them daily and here is the quote from the step instructions: Step 6: Each day re-check jack screws for tightness as jacks may settle into soft surfaces and become less stable. Tighten jack screws as needed.

Here the link to the instructions.
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #36

I would also suggest a tandem axel trailer tire change aid. It allows you to pull onto with the good tire to bring the flat tire off the ground to change.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #37

I always carry a Power Station. It will jump your vehicle, or pump up your tires. Recharges from 12v or 120v. It will pump up your trailer tires without being plugged in. I carry a ladder for my hybrid.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer