Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
Anyone know the proper way to incorporate a single spare tire into the tire rotation on a dual axle trailer?
Have never known anyone to rotate trailer tires, much less the spare.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #62
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Unless you make a LOT of really sharp turns, being the trailer doesn't have steerable axle(s), I see no need for rotating the tires or the spare.

If I did rotate, this is how I'd do it.
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #63

Quote:
Trips to FL from PA mean taking pressure down and then back up during trips back and forth.
Huh? A seasonal change in "cold tire pressure" is a known effect but just driving from FL to PA or vv isn't critical. Check and adjust tire pressure every morning the trailer/truck moves if you're anal about this and you're fine. 50psi is 50psi (48 or 49 ain't). Same for 65psi. Since you should always run max cold tire pressure 65 psi tires should go on 65psi wheels. We want no sidewall flex whatsoever and that only happens at max pressure. Never personally seen a wheel on a camper blow up, but I've seen plenty of tires.

BTW LT tires of proper capacity are perfectly suitable in lieu of ST tires.

Rotate trailer tires???
Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
Anyone know the proper way to incorporate a single spare tire into the tire rotation on a dual axle trailer?
Simplest way would be to put the spare on the left rear position, move that tire forward, the LF tire to RF, RF to RR, And RR to spare. Follow the same pattern next time. Eventually the "spare" will have made it to every position and back on the spare tire holder.

Contrary to popular myth, radial tires can have their direction of rotation reversed.

Even if one does not rotate tires make sure you check the spare tire's pressure REGULARLY. May be a bit of a pain removing the cover to access the valve stem but it's an even bigger pain if you have a flat only to find that the spare is flat too

As for rotating being necessary? Maybe not. But it's a good time to lube bearings, check brakes, and give your tires a good close up inspection for small puncture items (staples are the worst), cracking, or the beginnings of a separation. While at it, press valve stem to one side or other (if rubber) and look for the beginnings of cracking where it passes through the wheel. If present this is a good time to replace with metal stems.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I have no reason to rotate a tire that just goes round and round the same as all the other tires on the trailer and is not a steering tire subject to uneven ware. But we are all free to do what works best for us and no way is the wrong way in this instance.
Yes, the tires do just go round and round. However, not always pointed in the same direction. It's not unusual to see the outside edge of a front tire on a tandem axle wearing and the rear tire on the rear axle wearing on the inside due to axle mi-alignment. Other unequal wear combinations can also occur, depending on whether one axle is bent or both axles are "skewed".

If the wear is slow, rotation will somewhat equalize it on all tires allowing them to "age out" and save the price of an alignment.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #66
Canadian Member

On another similar thread someone suggested rotating tires because of unbalanced loads across the tires. I'm 99% sure that on my 5er the rear drivers side tire has more weight on it than the others because it runs hotter when I check the temps. The first time I saw it, I immediately had a trusted shop service the bearings and brakes but it didn't make much difference so it must be the weight. If I'm right about the cause, then rotating the tires might be a good idea.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #67

Been towing trailers for all of my adult life which is over 40 years. Never had a trailer yet where one tire was wearing more due to an alignment issue. Of course rotating would mask an alignment issue if you had one so why not leave the tires where they are and if one tire starts wearing different, get the alignment fixed!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
On another similar thread someone suggested rotating tires because of unbalanced loads across the tires. I'm 99% sure that on my 5er the rear drivers side tire has more weight on it than the others because it runs hotter when I check the temps.
If you have normal axles with an equalizer, then both tires on the drivers side should have identical weight. If you have torsion axles, that means your trailer is not level which would be difficult to fix on a 5er.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #69

Must be why freight trailers rotate their tires... uneven loads! NOT

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #70

In the 45 plus years we have been towing trailers, we nave experienced literally dozens of tire failures. All of the failed tires were made in China. Some were branded as Goodyear, but were made under license in China and labelled as Goodyear "Marathon" Tires. Some were manufactured and installed years before they were mounted to the TT's we bought. We did not know then to check on the sidewalls for the correct manufacture date. Now we know.

Years ago Michelin manufactured trailer tires, and we had great success with those. They are sadly no longer available. We continue to equip our TV with Michelin LT tires, with great success, no failures, excellent mileage, and great performance.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #71
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you have normal axles with an equalizer, then both tires on the drivers side should have identical weight. If you have torsion axles, that means your trailer is not level which would be difficult to fix on a 5er.
My Rockwood Signature fifth wheel has the Dexter Torflex axles. I have the B&W Patriot 18K hitch at its lowest setting but it may be slightly nose high. It has 2 long slides mostly rear of the axles and a bed slide up front. So even if it was perfectly level, the rear drivers side tire would have the most weight on it. It's just the way that the floor plan distributes the weight.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #72
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Must be why freight trailers rotate their tires... uneven loads! NOT
Freight trailers run entirely different tires.

Look, I'm not saying the weight imbalance is a big deal but ST tires are much less robust than freight trailer tires. I have no way to check the weight on individual tires either. What I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt to rotate them (or even just swap front to back) if you have them off annually anyway to do the bearings and brakes. If you tow a lot of miles per year you'd notice any uneven wear (that might indicate an alignment issue) by the end of the season.

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, travel, travel trailer