Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #21

I am leaving NKy next week for a trip down I-65 for 3 weeks in the panhandle... Ft Pickens to be exact for 2 weeks and a place called Falling Waters SP in FL for a few days. Never been to either place.

That Birmingham section is the worst... only about 10 or 15 miles as I recall but seems like 50.

7 MPG??? If you get 8-9 I think you will be lucky. Is that what you were expecting? I know I get better MPG by 1 or 2 MPG during warmer weather, so maybe you will also. I typically get 8.5 to 9.5 pulling about #4800 but sometimes closer to 7.5 with my 5.7 Hemi RAM.

Although the Nissan GPS might be a good backup, I always use Google Maps on my iphone... it is always up to date. Often two GPS units will not agree... it is sometimes necessary to pick one or the other.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
but the GPS, and I think this is standard for "hardwired" GPS's, doesn't let you change your destination while moving UNLESS you are changing the destination to a previous destination (stored in the GPS) where you can select a "recent" address.
This varies by vehicle/manufacturer.

Dodge/Ram - Cannot input by keyboard if moving (there are ways around this, though), have to use voice input or a recent/pre-programmed destination.

Honda - Doesn't care, but it's a horrible system in my wife's 2012 Pilot. No touchscreen, input is done via rotary knob.

GM - Uses the passenger seat airbag sensor to detect if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, if there is then a screen pops up asking if you're the passenger and if you answer yes then you can mess with the GPS and such with no limitations. No passenger means limited input on the screen.

Ford and others I have no idea.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #23

I don't care for DW's Taurus GPS at all. We always use a Garmin. And better brush up on your Japanese. Let us know how the conversation with the Nissan engineer goes.
oldjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #24

Man. Those are GREAT pictures!! Thank you!!!

The greatest sign I ever saw was right before we left to come down here. Had the truck detailed and went by this house, and here is the sign that was in their yard:

PRIVATE SIGN.........DO NOT READ........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #25

DieselDrax, I have found that the 'voice" option is difficult to use because it doesn't recognize the name of the street or gives you choices and the one you're looking for is not in the list. I find this also happens when trying to use the phone option while driving. Although these are nice options to have they have not been perfected to understand accents.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
DieselDrax, I have found that the 'voice" option is difficult to use because it doesn't recognize the name of the street or gives you choices and the one you're looking for is not in the list. I find this also happens when trying to use the phone option while driving. Although these are nice options to have they have not been perfected to understand accents.

Oh, I agree. I hate using the voice functions in general. I値l wait until I知 stopped or will pull over to use the touchscreen rather than fight with the voice crap.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Oh, I agree. I hate using the voice functions in general. I値l wait until I知 stopped or will pull over to use the touchscreen rather than fight with the voice crap.

Same here. I find the voice system MORE distracting because I知 always looking to see what it guessed I said.

Tags
truck