Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

New TT equipment questions

My boyfriend and I are finally going to pick up our TT next weekend. Because we are brand new to the TT we have a lot of first purchases to get as I know everyone has had to do before us.

The things I know for sure we need are of course the sewer hoses, clean hose, chocks, blocks and all the normal living stuff.

We bought a stabilizer hitch for the trailer so that's covered. One thing I've been trying to read about as much as I can is the slide out cover, how necessary is that to have? I've been looking at as many pics as I can on here to see if folks have one or not and it seems to vary. Thoughts?

And any other major items specific to the trailer I might be overlooking? I've printed out a few different check lists, but sometimes it's better to ask the ones with real experience. Any tips would be appreciated. Really have learned a lot from you guys just by reading. Can't wait to be official FR camper owners!
Jadenala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenala View Post
My boyfriend and I are finally going to pick up our TT next weekend. Because we are brand new to the TT we have a lot of first purchases to get as I know everyone has had to do before us.

The things I know for sure we need are of course the sewer hoses, clean hose, chocks, blocks and all the normal living stuff.

We bought a stabilizer hitch for the trailer so that's covered. One thing I've been trying to read about as much as I can is the slide out cover, how necessary is that to have? I've been looking at as many pics as I can on here to see if folks have one or not and it seems to vary. Thoughts?

And any other major items specific to the trailer I might be overlooking? I've printed out a few different check lists, but sometimes it's better to ask the ones with real experience. Any tips would be appreciated. Really have learned a lot from you guys just by reading. Can't wait to be official FR camper owners!
I would make sure you have a torpedo level that you can set on the floor to level up when you arrive in your site.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

In my first year of travels I have acquired the following or added it to my list every trip:
Tool box
Air Compressor
Torque wrench (for a tire change or check lugs on the road)
Battery Charger
Garden Hose (on a reel if you want, and DO NOT loose your pressure reduction fitting that comes with the camper!)

The list goes on as you can imagine. These are just a few of the many things to consider.

One solid tip is, when you pickup your TT have the dealer write down the axle info for you. Specifically the part numbers for replacing the bearings and outer races, Then order and purchase two sets and stash them in your TT. If that day arrives in the middle of nowhere, you are well ahead of the curve with he correct parts in hand.
Good luck,
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

Here’s an abbreviated list of things I’ve bought for my TT

Shore power extension cord
Regular house extension cord
Surge suppressor
Various adapters (30A to 50A, 30A to 20A, 20A to 30A…etc)
cable TV cable
Drinking water hose
Water filter
Water pressure regulator
Good quality sewer hose
Sewer hose extension
90 degree dump station adapter
Clear sewer hose adapter (so you know the tank is clean)
Sewer hose stand
Rubber gloves
Dedicated black tank rinse hose
Black tank chemicals
RV safe toilet paper
Lynx leveling blocks
X-Chocks
Carpenters level
Inverting generator (3kW at least)
Portable tire inflator
Lug wrench
Hydraulic bottle jack
Mechanics tool kit
Spare fuses
Spare hitch pins
Towing mirrors
Traffic cones
Flashlight
Road flares

And most important…

A sense of humor

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Just know that when you go to back the camper in espically at night there will be some cussing and raised tempers the first couple of times until you two get it down.
Chipper57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Slide cover is a must have.

I also have a tire pressure monitor system.
EEZTIRE TPMS SYSTEM (4 FLOW THROUGH SENSOR) | EEZ RV PRODUCTS

Portable compressor with a plug kit. Also the spare tire lug nuts are a different size. I also carry small floor and bottle jacks.

Macerator pump. FloJet Portable RV Waste Pump System - Waste Pumps (Macerators) - Plumbing

Portable black water tank. Barker 30844 Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank 42 Gallon

Backup camera is nice to have. If you ever feel the need for a cover make sure to buy one made out of Sunbrella material.

Also would seriously consider replacing the original tires either now or at the latest after a year.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Slide cover is a must have.
I disagree. Slide covers are a nice to have. I don't have covers and all I do is make sure the slide tops are free from debris before closing.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #8

Three items I never leave home with and they are. A check list for each phase of camping. Such as hitching -up, setting -up, taking down and packing the trailer. Item two insurance carrier information, contact information and a living will with medical directions. Item three a very good charge card, there is always a Wally World for any thing you forget or need.

We have been camping for nearly 47, years and we still end up buying something we need on ourtravels.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Slide toppers only if you camp in the trees....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Welcome
Go to the library section and print out a delivery check list. Take your time and go over everything. Use your phone to video anything you think you might forget later on. If there are any major items ( aka things you are not comfortable fixing yourself) that need repair, do not sign paperwork until they are done. The dealer wants their money and will get them repaired quickly. Don't accept " Take it now and bring it back in a few weeks to have repairs made". Once they have been paid, many dealers will put you at the bottom of the list. Don't let your emotions cloud your decision process at delivery. It is better to have your TT sit at the dealer for an extra week now than a month or two during the summer. Wal Mart and amazon are your friend when buying supplies. Make sure you have a way to take notes as you will find many things you will think you need on the first few trips. If you can driveway camp for a night. This will not only give you practice using equipment, but you have a back up in case you really need something. Most of all you are buying this to have fun. Don't let a few minor issues spoil that.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I put together a towel thru a paint roller attached to a paint pole to rid branches from my slide tops. WORKS!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I put together a towel thru a paint roller attached to a paint pole to rid branches from my slide tops. WORKS!
I stand in my truck bed with a cheap electric leaf blower.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #13

Really solid advise guys, thank you so much for the replies!!

We are definitely practicing in a big parking lot with the backing up before attempting the driveway with one of us directing and the other driving, we've already rented a U-haul trailer just to try and learn the mechanics of it, lol!

The sense of humor we have in abundance, so there's one we can check off the list, yay! We have many of the other standard camping items between the two of us, both been camping for many years and I agree with Jim34L, its funny, no matter how prepared you are, there is ALWAYS something that needs a trip to Walmart or the local yocal place.

I think we will get a slide-out cover eventually, but for right now it doesn't sound like a priority, we will just be careful when closing it to make sure there is no debris.

And Flybob, thank you for the tips with repairs if needed at the dealership, we will definitely keep that in mind next weekend.

Also Wheels Down, another good insider info, I appreciate that!!

We are going to an RV show this weekend in Mpls and have already done a lot of shopping around on Walmart, Amazon, Camping World, etc, so we figured we would see if there are any vendor deals on some of the standard or basic equipment we need, the information you guys have provided has been awesome, so again, thank you!!
Jadenala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #14

We did a practice camping week-end near by to find out all the little things that we take for granted. I would do the same. You will probably want to sleep on the bed, that seems to be a common problem- a cheap mattress.
We also hit some flea markets and garage sales for dishes, dust pans, silverware, etc. We don't like to have to pack much. That is the best part of having lots of storage.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #15

I am looking forward to adding a slide topper this year or next. Beside taking care of debris it also deaden the sound of rain on the slide out.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #16

Be VERY careful about buying things from Camping World or your RV dealer as their prices can be considerably higher than you'll find elsewhere - i.e. WalMart, Amazon, Rural King, etc. When CW has one of their sales, the pricing can be closer to what you'll find elsewhere. Amazon pricing tends to vary - some items will be very good pricing, others not so much. One of the very first things that we had to add was a foam "egg shell" type mattress pad and it made a world of difference in the comfort of the bed.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #17

Jadanala, as mentioned the list goes on and on...but I also suggest getting the basics first:
Lug wrench, 12v air compressor, either a bottle jack or Trailer Aid Plus, a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is a must, first aid kit, extra fuses, a basic tool kit, some clear Gorilla tape (sticks WAY better than Duck tape), a tube of Dicor sealant for seam cracks, and some walkie talkies. I have a grease gun in my rig so I can grease wheel bearing on long trips; check to see if your new TT has grease zerks behind pop off caps so you can grease the axles without taking the wheel off. Many do, some don't. One suggestion, since you said you would practice backing and parking in a nearby lot: decide on what signals or commands you are going to use when you guide someone back into a space. Stand where you can see the area you are backing into but also the driver can clearly see you. We never use "turn left" or "turn right" as they depend on which way you are looking and can be very confusing. We use "turn more" or "turn less", plus the usual "keep coming" and then "...oh crap, STOP!" LOL! If you start out having to yell instructions it is not far from just yelling and getting feelings hurt. Even after years of camping my brother and wife are doing good if they are speaking to each other the first hour after parking their trailer. Get walkies or use your phone with the truck bluetooth phone speaker, that works fine too. And x3 on the sense of humor. Things will happen, so just work through them and keep on camping.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Be VERY careful about buying things from Camping World or your RV dealer as their prices can be considerably higher than you'll find elsewhere - i.e. WalMart, Amazon, Rural King, etc. When CW has one of their sales, the pricing can be closer to what you'll find elsewhere. Amazon pricing tends to vary - some items will be very good pricing, others not so much. One of the very first things that we had to add was a foam "egg shell" type mattress pad and it made a world of difference in the comfort of the bed.
AMEN - Check Amazon, EBay, and Walmart for the same items.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #19

Slide Out Cover

You will hear different ideas here, but I believe in covers for the slide. It better seals, it keeps foreign items off the roof of the slide which come intoo the trailer when you retract it, and it helps to save the ,roof from deterioration.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #20

Jadenala, you'll be spending a whole lot on stuff that's trailer unique, so here's one way to save money on the household stuff:

Decide what you realistically will be cooking in the trailer, and what appliances, cookware, serve ware, and tableware you'll actually need. Now look through your home kitchen. If you have duplicates, put one in the trailer. If you don't have what you think you need, go to a thrift store for an inexpensive deal, or Tuesday Morning for a good deal.

When you've got at least a year's worth of using the trailer under your belt, you'll know much better what you'll need on board. Then you can offload what you didn't use, upgrade what you used the most, and add what you now know you'll need.

Here are some ideas for secure storage, so you stuff doesn't get tossed out of the cabinets and/or broken:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1458518

Enjoy your new trailer.