Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #1

Newbie black water tank question

I'll be honest, I didn't look real hard to see if a thread already exist on my question, but I'm new to the RV world and looking to learn.

My question is how often does the black water tank and grey tank need to be emptied. I have a Wolf Pack 28wp toy hauler and from March to November the trailer will be used every other weekend going to races. If the black water tank isn't even 1/3 full should I empty it or can I wait till it gets to 2/3 full.

Will leaving the "stuff" in the tank over two weeks a bad idea (waiting for it to reach 2/3 full) or should I empty every time?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

I would empty every time you use it the stuff as you put it will solidify in the bottom of your tank and you will get build up. Once it starts it will continue until you have to do something about the build up. Your better off adding extra water to the black water tank if its that low then dumping it. Also if you don't dump it it will stink bad, been by a farm spreading liquid manure bad. You don't want to leave it.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #3

That's what I figured. Thanks for the help.

Follow up question, when do you put the chemicals in the black water tank? After you drain the tank and use it again?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
TeresaInCAL

After you dump, run some clean water in there, and put the chemical packet, or whatever you decide to use.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

Funny, I would say the exact opposite. If you are going to use it every couple of weeks, and you leave plenty of water in it, it will be fine to go every other trip. I have been doing that for 3 years and never had a problem. Look up the GEO method for black water tank management. Now, if it is hot and you don't have plenty of water to dissolve "the stuff", then you can have issues.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #6

I use the "geo method" as well, but I would never think of leaving the black tank 1/3 or 1/2 or 1/anything full after a trip.

Simple: when you're done your trip, no matter how full the tank is, fill to full with fresh water. Dump. Close valve, refill with fresh water again, dump again. Put a little water in the tank and your chemicals, and you'll be good to go for the next time. I do the Purex, Calgon, and a Pott Tab as my chemical cocktail, been working well since day one. If you get the chance to do all of the above while you're still hooked up at a CG, put a bag of ice down the toilet and that will scrub the inside of your tank as you drive home--added bonus.

Good luck!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I use the "geo method" as well, but I would never think of leaving the black tank 1/3 or 1/2 or 1/anything full after a trip.

Simple: when you're done your trip, no matter how full the tank is, fill to full with fresh water. Dump. Close valve, refill with fresh water again, dump again. Put a little water in the tank and your chemicals, and you'll be good to go for the next time. I do the Purex, Calgon, and a Pott Tab as my chemical cocktail, been working well since day one. If you get the chance to do all of the above while you're still hooked up at a CG, put a bag of ice down the toilet and that will scrub the inside of your tank as you drive home--added bonus.

Good luck!
X2. Never had to dump ice in the black tank, but use the geo method and never had a problem. Usually have a couple gallons of water with the Calgon and detergent which sloshes around in the tank anyway while traveling.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #8

For the GEO method, I use "Trend" detergent available at almost all Dollar General stores. Where I live, Calgon is a special order item. The Trend has the water softner and the detergent all in one. I put in ~2 cups with ~5 gallons of water after every tank dump/flush.

Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, newbie, tank, water, water tank