Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #11

Best bang for your buck, quiet, dependable and reasonable price.
Two of these in parallel would work great.

2000W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #12

I had a Yamaha EF-2600 (not inverter) for $750 purchased on-line. Ended up getting Honda 3000 Handi for $2,100. The difference is night and day but does come at a price. Both handled 1 a/c unit. One thing I found out is how the companies measure db ratings. On paper the db rating of the Yamaha and Honda were similar. However, I found out this Yamaha (like most companies) measured the db at 21 feet away, whereas the Honda was measured at about 9 feet! So not only research the db rating but understand how it is measured. The Honda is also easier to lift since its lighter. Both fit in the back of Silverado 1500 bed with bed cover on for security when traveling.

NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Retired Electronic Tech

'Best Value' is not always the cheapest. Yamaha and Honda are two of the highest 'initial investment' generators, but they will start airconditioners when the cheaper ones won't (a Web search will verify this). And when one gets ready to resell, guess which ones will sell the fastest and bring the most money. There aren't many Honda or Yamaha 2000 or 3000 watt generators for sale on CraigsList, not in the Phoenix area.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #14

Great topic. We brought our 2015 Greywolf on Saturday. So I am trying to learn all I can.

B and B, can you run the CPAP machine off the inverter/battery power. I don't think I would be able to sleep with a gen. running all night. We plan to do a lot of boondocking.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Great topic. We brought our 2015 Greywolf on Saturday. So I am trying to learn all I can.

B and B, can you run the CPAP machine off the inverter/battery power. I don't think I would be able to sleep with a gen. running all night. We plan to do a lot of boondocking.
We could but AC is nice so we just live with it. Parked behind the trailer we do not hear it, inverter is pretty quiet.

Ours is more a backup use of electrical/ hydro/ power utility service fails.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #16

I'm not sure if this has any relevance to you guys over the pond, I bought a 2.2kva remote start Hyundai last year, it will run my ac (Rockwood 8289 ultralite) not that we need ac over here, but not the microwave at the same time. It does run under load though with the ac, so stressing the engine when it is in use. Because its remote start I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to start it. I don't use it that often, its more just as a back up. For more permanent use a 4kva would be advisable and would not be running under load all the time. I think the remote is a good thing to have, as its power on demand, and you can also shut down once you have settled down in bed.

the Hyundai is far less costly than a Honda over here, but it is a well made machine and not a budget version.
Peter
Old 11-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

I think there is also some confusion about invertor gens and sine wave gens, most modern gens are sine wave, so will run computers and other equipment with a constant voltage/ frequency. invertors convert 12v to 110 v(240v in my case), so another thing to take into account if going for a budget machine
Old 11-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #18

First make sure you actually need them. I have (2) honda 2000 with kit. I only use them when I'm working on camper while it's in storage. Otherwise, I've had no reason to use them.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #19

Generator

Honda or Yamaha are the quietest but if noise is not a factor buy you a cheap 4 thousand or 5 thousand watt that's what a lot of people use at race tracks
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #20

I just bought the new IQ2000 from Generac, two of them, as I was told in order to run a 15kBTU A/C you need both in parallel. They are super quiet, they are being advertised as quieter than a Honda. We will see how long they last. Got them from www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com, no tax, free shipping.

Tags
generator, newbie