Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #31

We have a Champion 3500/4000 (under $400). Ever Ingenious Spouse modified the exhaust and fiddled with it and I must admit, it works very well. Inside the TT we don't notice it.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
HikerBob

We dry camp all over the west, so need to be able to run the A/C when we're in the desert, but don't need it when in the mountains. We have two Honda 2K generators and run them in parallel when using the A/C, but don't take both to the mountains where it's usually cool. Have had these for 4 years and have had no problems. They start easily and are very quiet.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #33

Well there have been a lot of posts, but here is my opinion. I have a FR Flagstaff 831 FKBSS and a Honda 3000is. It runs my air, tv, satellite, frig and converter without any problem. That all pulls about 19 to 20 amps, and the generator is rated an 23 continuous. Its a little expensive but very quiet. I am very pleased with the performance.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #34

I have used a Yamaha 3000ISEB for the last 3 seasons. No hiccups. The "boost" makes everything easy. Battery tender on every winter. Works fine through my PI EMS.

I would not recommend a Yamaha 2000iS if you also have a Progressive Industries EMS. Any damage to the EMS voids the warranty if used with that Yamaha.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
We dry camp all over the west, so need to be able to run the A/C when we're in the desert, but don't need it when in the mountains. We have two Honda 2K generators and run them in parallel when using the A/C, but don't take both to the mountains where it's usually cool. Have had these for 4 years and have had no problems. They start easily and are very quiet.
I thought about doing that but decided that the 3000 worked better for me. Cost wise about the same unless you add the external gas tank. Weight is about the same also if I remember right. I mainly decided to go with the 3000 because of the size. It didn't need as big of a platform as the two 2000 generators would have needed.

That is something people need to consider, where and how are they going to mount it? I had a plate welded onto my back bumper. FR doesn't recommend doing that because they said there might be too much vibration. They should quit mounting the spare tire on the bumper. The way it was mounted it shook more than my generator ever will! I removed it and will just tose the tire in my truck when going somewhere.

If anyone wants to see my mount you can see it here:

generator mounting on 5th wheel

Post 12 shows what I did. Post 10 has a couple of interesting links in it

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #36

A word to the wise; a couple of years ago I bought what I thought was a Cummings generator. I have suspected that it did not put out clean voltage and a couple of months ago it quit producing electricity. I have a Cummings service center a short drive away so I threw it in the back of my truck and took it in. Imagine my surprise when I was told that it is a Chineese knock-off. I cannot find any one who will work on it and no parts are available. The label says Cummings and in very small print "industrial tools"
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1550 View Post
We have a Champion 3500/4000 (under $400). Ever Ingenious Spouse modified the exhaust and fiddled with it and I must admit, it works very well. Inside the TT we don't notice it.

Can you send me a PM on how the ingenious spousal unit altered the exhaust? I have found a champion 7000/9000 that I was thinking of for home backup but want to change the exhaust set up to be more quiet.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #38
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKosar View Post
My two cents...

We have a Boliy Pro3600SiE digital inverter, with 3600 kW continuous output. Operates almost as quietly as the Hondas. (Had opportunity to check the sound output of the Boliy nearby another RVer who was running his Honda 3000.)

The Boliy 3600 easily powers our Rockwood 8289WS 5-er's main 15,000 BTU a/c, all lights, TV and coffee maker. It can't run both of our 2 a/c's simultaneously, but that is no problem since the 15,000 BTU main a/c easily cools the entire RV even during Texas and Florida summers. As full timers, we needed to operate it several times in each of the last 3 years that we have owned it. Rugged and reliable, easy to use, key starter. Can add an external outboard motor gas tank for it to power our trailer all night.

Boliy Generator
X 2 plus it weight 75# battery start or pull start. I also have the 6 gal external tank.Cost under $1300 and free shipping. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #39

Honda

I have the Honda 2000i and its companion giving me another 2k. They're great . . . quiet, efficient, and easy to start. Convenient too as I only haul the companion if I'm planning on using the AC. I also hear from construction workers who speak highly of their durability and longevity . . . "last indefinitely" . . . "can't kill them."
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #40

We bought a 3600 Kipor 9 years ago and other than one battery it has not missed a beat. It ran for 19 hours straight(3 tanks of fuel) during a fire that took out our power and closed the road. We ran the trailer without air, a fridge in our cabin and with extension cords a fridge and freezer in the father in laws cabin next door.
125# and 54 Db at idle and 64 under heavy load.
We don't use the Eco mode as it tends to make the gen surge while the coffee pot starts and that has ruined a couple coffee makers and that just won't do. Lol

Tags
generator, newbie